PDA

View Full Version : Soft or filtered water.......

Danhercules
07-21-2005, 01:29 PM
House is getting replumbed. COPPER BABY!!!
Anyway, I wanted to get either a soft water system or a filtration system. Anybody got info? Good, bad , ugly?
Thanks.

HocusPocus
07-21-2005, 01:52 PM
we had a soft water system years ago.. and i hated it. seems like you can never get rinsed off after a shower... and i hated the taste of it.

28Prowler525
07-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Go for the filter if anything

riverbound
07-21-2005, 02:12 PM
I have bothe filetered and Soft water in my house and absolutley love it. At first it takes getting used to but its so much better.

Not So Fast
07-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Anyway, I wanted to get either a soft water system or a filtration system. Anybody got info? Good, bad , ugly?
Thanks.
If you are talking about the river or Havasu then go for it all. I have a pre-filter and then soft water and from there an R.O. system. these are the harshest conditions in the U.S. so do it right. By the way, the Wisbro (?) has a lot of advantages so check it out. The water here attacks metal severely. My $.02 :smile: NSF

Danhercules
07-21-2005, 02:35 PM
I wish I had a house in Havasu I had to repipe.
This is in Norco.

Outnumbered
07-21-2005, 02:41 PM
I have bothe filetered and Soft water in my house and absolutley love it. At first it takes getting used to but its so much better.
Yes, do both. At the very least have the soft water loop and drain put in and then you can decide later.

Danhercules
07-21-2005, 03:01 PM
I am only gonna do one. I have a refer with water filters for drinking. So thats why I was gonna put in a soft water unit. Someone told me not to, and go with filtration instead.

Outnumbered
07-21-2005, 05:29 PM
I am only gonna do one. I have a refer with water filters for drinking. So thats why I was gonna put in a soft water unit. Someone told me not to, and go with filtration instead.
The loop will only cost you about $200 and if you decide not to get a SW system at least it is there for re-sale to the new buyer. It will not affect your plumbing if you dont use it. The focker that we bought our house from told me the same thing and I had to retrofit the loop later and it was a bitch. The hard water killed 2 diswashers and ruined our glasses and silverware. Not to mention the smell of the water is gone after we got the SW and the RO systems.

Seadog
07-21-2005, 07:27 PM
If the water hardness is over 175 mg/L(ppm) or 10 gpg in the obsolete units used by salesmen, then put a softener on the hot water feed. I do not recommend it on the cold water tap due to the fact that all a softener does is replace calcium (good) with sodium (bad). If the house has any problems with crud from the distribution system, a whole house sediment filter is called for. Filters are fine if you need to remove something specific, but if you are just getting a filter because you have heard it is the thing to do, don't. Instead of a charcoal filter under or on the tap, get a water can for the refrigerator that you fill the top and it filters into the bottom. Charcoal filter eliminate the chlorine that keeps the bacteria under control. Failure to properly monitor and replace an inline filter as needed can be unhealthy. Any water left unrefrigerated can grow bacteria after being exposed to air.

KACHINA KEN
07-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Thanks.
I would invest in the new "barley/hops water " system :)

ROZ
07-22-2005, 09:23 AM
I have a refer
Don't be so stinge,dude. pass it around :D

Freak
07-22-2005, 09:31 AM
What is the ph of the water and are you on city or septic?
Low ph will eat your copper pipes. Normal is 7.0 - a ph of 5.8 is 20 times more corrosive. A tell tale sign is blue stains in the sink. If you have low ph a calcite filter will raise ph. If your on septic the salts in most softeners will cause drain field issues. Just some things to think about.
Have the water tested if ph is good and no other bad stuff is in there get a softener. Otherwise get the filter.

riverroyal
07-22-2005, 09:48 AM
for washing the cars

2Driver
07-22-2005, 11:45 AM
Here is what we did in LHC.
Water softener at the main ( did a loop in the garage) for both hot and cold.Makes water feel soft, keeps ugly calcium and spots from building up on everything (sink facet, toilet etc.) can also use it to wash the car...no more spots.
Drinking FIlter: Reverse Osmois at the Kitchen sink. This will make best tasting water - period and takes out just about everything imaginable. Can also use this for plants, cooking, car batteries etc.)
Whole house filter: Between the main and the house. This traps any crud coming into the house from the water company and there is a lot. If they repair a main nearby you will get crap in the line after they do the work. Anything downstream that could end up in the water will get trapped 5 micron or bigger)
Good luck. If you had poly plumbing there was a class action suit awhile back to assist home owners with the cost...don't know al the detials but my buddies house got repiped for free.

burtandnancy
07-22-2005, 01:30 PM
As a retired water doctor, seedog is dead on. Follow his suggestions and you should be fine. Try NOT to ever drink soft water, RO water has no taste and charcol will remove a lot of bad tastes including chlorine. I laugh at people who buy tons of bottled water at somewhere in excess of $4.00 per gallon including my wife. Is the convenience of having hundreds of plastic bottles worth it? And what do you think the shelf life of a plastic bottle is? When do you start getting the plastic taste? I bet inquireing minds want to know...