PDA

View Full Version : Mallory HEI JUNK!!

wet77
07-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Had a brand new Mallory HEI in my 540 and noticed some idle problems then lack of power then 4 dead cylinders :2purples:
2 hours run time and the conection that goes into the distributor was melted :eek:
Why??
everything was hooked up right the engine builder verified how I hooked it up to the boat wiring and said it was right.
Anyway that one is getting thrown out and in goes the MSD HEI well see how that one works.
Mallory one was a race coil and modual good to 8500rpms I turned it to 6000 rpm for a total of 2-3 minutes all together and it fell apart :220v:
If anyone is purchasing one think twice :hammerhea

ANY&ALL
07-21-2005, 07:36 PM
thats funny i just bought that same unit came with locked out timing i went to install the mech. advance no directions mallory would not answer there phones me and jim in bullhead work on it over the phone went to install rotor and it would no allow for full advance binding on cap had conferince call with summit and mallory and they said maybe worped rotor i said no thank you having problems and it not even in the motor so summit is pick it up and delivering the new msd pro billet hei i guess thats why the msd was 125 bucks more becuase it works good luck man

berk
07-21-2005, 09:46 PM
thats funny i just bought that same unit came with locked out timing i went to install the mech. advance no directions mallory would not answer there phones me and jim in bullhead work on it over the phone went to install rotor and it would no allow for full advance binding on cap had conferince call with summit and mallory and they said maybe worped rotor i said no thank you having problems and it not even in the motor so summit is pick it up and delivering the new msd pro billet hei i guess thats why the msd was 125 bucks more becuase it works good luck man
its called a period. look into it.

diggler
07-22-2005, 06:28 AM
its called a period. look into it.
LMAO!!!!! I was thinking the same thing!

ANY&ALL
07-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Sorry not an english major but can do math like no other. At least you can read, and point out others peoples falts. Bet you were popular in school let me know when you want to comment on a thread and not just talk trash. Thanks have a great day! Any&All

sidewound
07-22-2005, 05:33 PM
:D :D :D :D
PMC :cool:

berk
07-22-2005, 06:01 PM
:rollside: just funnin dude, my my sense of humor and typing style are both, well, fingerpokey! also i cant do long division without a calculator. :yuk: actually not even then sometimes
p.s., pretty good that time, only missed one.

Fozzy
07-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Has anybody tried the D.U.I. one piece ignition? Saw the ad in Hot Boat and just wondering.

SummitKarl
07-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Has anybody tried the D.U.I. one piece ignition? Saw the ad in Hot Boat and just wondering.
Fozzy how's the carb working out?

SummitKarl
07-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Had a brand new Mallory HEI in my 540 and noticed some idle problems then lack of power then 4 dead cylinders :2purples:
2 hours run time and the conection that goes into the distributor was melted :eek:
Why??
everything was hooked up right the engine builder verified how I hooked it up to the boat wiring and said it was right.
Anyway that one is getting thrown out and in goes the MSD HEI well see how that one works.
Mallory one was a race coil and modual good to 8500rpms I turned it to 6000 rpm for a total of 2-3 minutes all together and it fell apart :220v:
If anyone is purchasing one think twice :hammerhea
some are 5VDC and some are 12VCD, the HEI sensor gap is CRITICAL!!!
more than likely it's the position of the MSD (Might Spark Don't know) it must be away from heat and placed so cooling fins are virtical, if not get a PC power supply fan and strap it to the top of the MSD
I have a MSD wiring diag. I can scan and send you

Sleek-Jet
07-23-2005, 06:45 AM
I run an MSD HEI ignition in my pick-up... I have had no problems what so ever.
No boxes to fail, and it is a quality built piece. You get all the hot HEI parts with it as well. A little pricey, but worth it.

Fozzy
07-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Fozzy how's the carb working out?
Thanks for asking SummitKarl. :smile: Actually I haven't done anything yet. I have had the boat out recently and the hesitation wasn't as bad as before. And it wasn't ever to terrible just annoying more that anything else. I haven't had the time to take it off the motor and take it in for the rebuild, I am going to try this week. But I also want to do something with the ignition. That is why I wondered if anyone has tried the D.U.I. one piece ignition.
I want to try to take the boat someplace in August, so hopefully I will have something done by then.

wet77
07-23-2005, 06:01 PM
put in msd pro billet today and runs great!
Now I am hitting the water Saturday will find out how it goes :rollside: