PDA

View Full Version : Gauge Layout

BrendellaJet
07-22-2005, 09:34 AM
Getting ready to install new gauges in my dash. I filled the old holes with wooden plugs, resined them in and filled with layers of mat, sanded smooth and filled the voids with a fiberglass filler. I was planning on having 6 auto meter 2 5/8 gauges. I laid out on paper and they fit with little room to spare, but Im wondering if this will weaken the dash too much. What do you guys think?

hack job
07-22-2005, 09:40 AM
i run the auto meter 2 1/16 and i have a total of 6 gauges . i jsut like that size more. my .02

BadBahner
07-22-2005, 09:43 AM
i run the auto meter 2 1/16 and i have a total of 6 gauges . i jsut like that size more. my .02
I like the 2 1/16 as well. Everything is more $ when you go 2 5/8. But hey when yo uhave Ladera Ranch Money who cares... lol. ;)

BrendellaJet
07-22-2005, 01:17 PM
I like the 2 1/16 as well. Everything is more $ when you go 2 5/8. But hey when yo uhave Ladera Ranch Money who cares... lol. ;)
LOL, funny guy! Fine, you guys got any pics of the "little" gauges? I just dig the look of them, but since I have so many maybe the little ones wont look so bad. time to show n tell!
I will not have an inch around each one, dash is about 4 inches, so Ive got close to an inch top and bottom, but not quite. They were about 3/8 apart when I was playing with the spacing...

BrendellaJet
07-22-2005, 08:19 PM
bump!

flat broke
07-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Here is the only pic I could find of the new 2 1/16 Autometers in Hacker's boat
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3583Dscn7652.jpg Lots of room on the dash and they don't look tiny.
Chris

BrendellaJet
07-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Geez, I think Ill just start PMing you when I have a question! LOL
That looks killer! My dash is a lot smaller than that, so Ill go with the little ones! Thanks Chris!
Brian

tahitijet
07-22-2005, 09:40 PM
here is mine during rigging.. i went the larger gauges.. I originally ordered the smaller ones but they were really small... I figured under way they would be extremely hard to see. So I exhanged them for the bigger size and there just about perfect i think.http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709P1010005-med.JPG

tahitijet
07-22-2005, 09:41 PM
BTW Originally my dash had 7 holes cut across it.. I filled in the 2 on the far right. This winter i will probably be adding oil temp and fuel preasure back into the dash.

Aluminum Squirt
07-23-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm not sure if this will look OK in a glass boat but I built an aluminum plate and mounted my gauges in it, then I riveted that to the dash. Obviously you still need the wholes which may weaken your dash but you could always make the plate stainless and a little thicker to give the dash back some strength. Just a thought, may look a little hokey in a glass boat but I think if you measured and cut it well, it would look good. I have a picture of mine but I never mastered that posting pictures thing-Aluminum Squirt
PS-Let me know if you want to see the picture real bad, I think I could figure out how to email it to you

BrendellaJet
07-23-2005, 08:14 AM
damn, those 2 5/8 look good again. Bad news is on my boat interior is about 4 ft wide at its widest point, the dash is narrower than that. With the steering wheel(dont want gauges behind it) I end up having like 19 inches of room for gauges. If i go with the 2 1/16 I can fit the tach in there too. If I go 2 5/8 I cant. So, since there will be so many gauges in a small space, I think the 2 1/16 will be the best compromise and still maintain the structural integrity of the dash...I hope!