PDA

View Full Version : help with 427 build

jshirley78
07-22-2005, 12:36 PM
looking for a little wisdom in building a 427 tall deck chevy. Ive built plenty of small blocks but BB's are foreign to me. This will be going into an 18' tahiti Torino Jet. Not realy looking to produce 500 hp but would like to produce more like 350-400 (more is better but there is a budget) Suggestions, setups, advice.....

FASTRAT
07-22-2005, 03:12 PM
looking for a little wisdom in building a 427 tall deck chevy. Ive built plenty of small blocks but BB's are foreign to me. This will be going into an 18' tahiti Torino Jet. Not realy looking to produce 500 hp but would like to produce more like 350-400 (more is better but there is a budget) Suggestions, setups, advice.....
here is a # for a book written by Dennis Moore who works for Hallet Boats in Cal...it covers all aspects of BBC Marine Performance...u can order this book from HP Books (published by The Berkley Group) at 1-800-788-6269-ext 1...the # of the book is: ISBN 1-55788-297-5...cost is: $16.95...this is a very very good book...i have read it several times & still refer to it from time to time...it will answer all ur ??? on how to build a marine BBC...that will last & stay together & make decent power...i "highly" recommend this book...just my .02 cents
fastrat
p.s. the book is a phone call away..GET TO IT!!
make the call...DO IT

blowngas
07-22-2005, 03:43 PM
a 427 tall deck chevy
just remember its a tall deck and use the right length rod/piston height combination with the crank you plan to use----you will have to use a tall deck manifold or spacers to make a short deck work---distributor will need to be an adjustable ring unit----other than that, its no different from a 9.8 deck-----buy the book and read it----and it's handy to reference to

obnoxious001
07-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Buy a decent quality rotating assembly. If you are buying new, or have a cast crank, consider buying a 4.250 stroker crank, so that you can work with 482 or 496 cu in. An easy combination that makes sense is with a .400" longer than stock rod length and a "stock" pin height piston. The longer rod has the advantage of giving you better "rod angle". Look for a tall deck intake manifold, so you won't need spacer plates or a special distributor. I have a couple of Dart intakes that accept the standard deck distributor. Don't forget that you will need longer pushrods for a tall deck engine.
If you already have a decent steel 427 crank, then consider buying the .400" longer rods to make a standard "shelf" 427 piston work in your tall deck. Factory tall deck pistons are big heavy things with 4 rings, not a "performance" type part.

jshirley78
07-23-2005, 12:08 PM
I had been told that you can use a 454 crank and 454 pistons but havent been able to validate it or find the proper rod length I would go with with that combo

SJ Valley Dave
07-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Of course you can use a 454 crank. That will give you 454 ci w/ std bore. That is a 4 " stroke. the stock rod length you need is 6.135 plus the .400 long for the tall block, so you get a 6.535 rod and you can use 454 pistons and crank. If you are going to go w/ a 4 " stroke, go w/ a .250 long rod, 6.785 and get appropriate pistons. If you need to buy a crank why not go to a 4.25 " stroke so you can build a 496"??

jshirley78
07-24-2005, 11:12 AM
at this point I dont know if I will need a crank or not (the motor is still sitting in the truck) Im actually hoping to stay with the stock crank and use .400 longer rods as suggested and use reg deck 427 pistons. Question I have now is, I believe the heads that are on the engine are closed port heads, stay with them or find a set of buildable open port???

FASTRAT
07-24-2005, 01:05 PM
Question I have now is, I believe the heads that are on the engine are closed port heads, stay with them or find a set of buildable open port???
whats the casting # on the heads??...also...what year is the mtr?
fastrat
p.s. ck ur PM's

jshirley78
07-24-2005, 05:17 PM
The motor is actually still in the truck, we are going through a decent heatwave and the guy hasnt pulled it for me yet. An interesting tid bit, its in a semi and will be coming with the air pump, half thinking about rigging it up to use for infalting tubes and such