PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Question

Avenger 1975
08-19-2002, 07:40 PM
This is not exactly a hot boat, but hopefully nobody will make too much fun of me! I've had a 16 ft. '63 Correct Craft inboard for almost 20 years, it has a Buick 198 inch V-6. The fuel pump diaphragm went. The pump I have is a rebuildable AC pump, the replacement that I bought today is a match in the AC book but is non rebuildable. My question is about the pump lever - the profile of the lever on the new pump is not the same, different bend and profile. Looks like the spot the actuator cam hits will be the same but at a different angle. Any problem with this?
The few stores I spoke with said replacement diaphragms are no longer available for the old pump.
I read the thread on auto vs. marine parts. On this old engine, would there be a marine fuel pump or other components available? I lift the engine cover a while before startup to avoid problems, but if a better pump was available I'd look for it.
Dave

77charger
08-20-2002, 05:35 PM
have you thought about trying an electric fuel pump out might be a good option if you have probs finding a mechanical

Hotcrusader76
08-20-2002, 07:49 PM
77charger:
have you thought about trying an electric fuel pump out might be a good option if you have probs finding a mechanicalI concurr...switch to an electric for the simplicity factor over the mechanical your trying to overhaul.
-Ty

Avenger 1975
08-20-2002, 07:55 PM
Well, I have the replacement pump so I'll gently see if it fits. I plan to bolt it in place if no unusual resistance, pull the plugs and rotate engine by hand and listen for problems.
If I switch to electric pump, how would I know what pump to buy as far as pressure goes? How are they wired? Do you just blank off the old fuel pump slot in the block? I just have no knowledge about electric fuel pumps, any quick comments would be welcome because I have a feeling I'll end up with one!
Thanks,
Dave

BOFH
08-21-2002, 09:16 AM
Like hell, it's not a hot boat... I love the oldies. I have a 64 Chris with twin 283s. They have mechanicle fuel pumps now, but when they go, I will be going electric. Any marine pump rated for 5 to 7 pounds will be fine. If it is more, you will need a pressure regulator.
The good part is that you will have better starting. On the big Chris's, the fuel will syphon back, and you have to crank for a while to fill the bowls. If you sit for a week, you crank for 5 minutes. :-) With electric, you fire right up. Make sure you have it wired to a cutoff on the oil pressure switch, or something similar. Otherwise, you can have a bad day filling a bilge with the engine off.

Hotcrusader76
08-21-2002, 09:35 AM
Avenger 1975:
Well, I have the replacement pump so I'll gently see if it fits. I plan to bolt it in place if no unusual resistance, pull the plugs and rotate engine by hand and listen for problems.
If I switch to electric pump, how would I know what pump to buy as far as pressure goes? How are they wired? Do you just blank off the old fuel pump slot in the block? I just have no knowledge about electric fuel pumps, any quick comments would be welcome because I have a feeling I'll end up with one!
Thanks,
DaveIts simple. There is a power wire (hot) and negative wire (ground). Run the fuel pressure no more than 8psi, and you should be set. They are very simple devices. Block off the port to your old mech.pump and your set.
With an electric, you turn the ignition on, and it primes the fuel system, turn the motor over maybe two times and your running. Plus adjusting floats on the Holleys is sooo easy with electric vice mechanical.
You can get Holley pump for about $75 or so new for your application or even close to $100 for a Holley Blue pump.
-Ty

69 Elim
08-21-2002, 09:59 AM
A small elect fuel pump from a boat shop should be your best best. A holly pump will be an overkill for your little v-6 and a waste of $. Another thing, after a while, a Holly Blue pump will leak (they are known for this). I agree swich to electric pump if nostoliga is not a major concern. better starting too. one thing, electric pumps push fuel much better than pulling fuel, so they should be mounted near the fuel tank. mechanical pumps pull better than push.

Hotcrusader76
08-21-2002, 10:42 AM
69 Elim:
A small elect fuel pump from a boat shop should be your best best. A holly pump will be an overkill for your little v-6 and a waste of $. Another thing, after a while, a Holly Blue pump will leak (they are known for this). I agree swich to electric pump if nostoliga is not a major concern. better starting too. one thing, electric pumps push fuel much better than pulling fuel, so they should be mounted near the fuel tank. mechanical pumps pull better than push.Leaking Holley blues???? Haven't seen one yet that leaks with a proper installation. Now running properly might be another story. With a proper fuel return on the regulator, you shouldn't have an issue with that either.
As far as fuel pump selection goes. A Holley Pump is not over-kill, even a street "blue" version will suffice, specially when he wants to up-grade to forced induction or more motor. His motor needs the 6-7 psi regardless, as long as the pump can give him that he's find.
Do not spend over $100 on the whole project and you should be very happy.
[ August 21, 2002, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

69 Elim
08-21-2002, 10:54 AM
I have seen the blue pumps leak at the bottom plate. 3 different pumps, 3 differnt installs, all leaked after about 2 years. talking with others, this is common. If you know differently, please comment here.
Also, I wouldn't run such a large pump that requires a return line from the regulator. That would just require more install. There was no mention of upgrading to forced induction (on a small v-6?)

Hotcrusader76
08-21-2002, 11:03 AM
69 Elim:
I have seen the blue pumps leak at the bottom plate. 3 different pumps, 3 differnt installs, all leaked after about 2 years. talking with others, this is common. If you know differently, please comment here.
Also, I wouldn't run such a large pump that requires a return line from the regulator. That would just require more install. There was no mention of upgrading to forced induction (on a small v-6?)Leaking pumps? Wow...I will take note of this and be on the look out. Funny how things arise after spending so much cash on such a flawlessly engineered part. Wouldn't suprise me if leaks were occuring, specially after dealing with so many carb replacement parts. I return about 30% of my "Holley" parts for exchanges, and I mean "Holley". Go figure...
Yeah I agree if you run over 8psi (no return required) and your having to fabricate a return for a motor for 300HP or less, your wasteing time and money.
Bottom line..... Don't spend over a $100 for this pump project, stay under 7psi and above 5psi and you'll be set. If you search good enough, you might not even need a regulator. I don't run one on my Comp110 Mallory.....

69 Elim
08-21-2002, 11:09 AM
Bottom line..... Don't spend over a $100 for this pump project, stay under 7psi and above 5psi and you'll be set. If you search good enough, you might not even need a regulator. I don't run one on my Comp110 Mallory.....
agreed - the carter elect pump seems ok ($55). 3 years no leaks, and feeds a cam'd 350 no problems & no regulator. However I don't like the wire leads (they suck)

Avenger 1975
08-21-2002, 07:25 PM
Thanks for all the input, guys. No, this boat won't be upgraded, I'll save the big projects for the jet boat I'm working on. The Correct Craft was bought new in '63 by our neighbor, I grew up admiring it. When in the early '80's the owner was along in years and wanted to sell it, he made sure it was affordable enough for me to buy it. Its been fun, endless hours of skiing and tubing and cruising, I've had it on a number of lakes including Champlain in VT. Let's just say I've put it to the test in bigger water than it ever wanted to be in, and it always got me home. It runs 40 mph at 4200 rpm at WOT with the larger of 2 props I have, not bad for 140 HP in an inboard.
The electric pump sounds so simple I'll go for it. My tank is in the stern, I'll mount it in the back of the motor box, that's the closest I can come to the tank while still having it in easy view.
David

chaparral2350sx
08-22-2002, 06:36 PM
I run a Holley blue on my autocross car and I have run it for about 10 years with no leaks what so ever not to say they wont leak but I must have got one built on a wed.
Tom