PDA

View Full Version : Thought this was pretty cool

Squirtcha?
07-22-2005, 04:43 PM
Emails back n forth with Edelbrock tech support.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:41 AM
To: edelbrock@edelbrock.com
Subject: Nitrous solenoid rebuild?
Gentlemen
I have your Performer RPM nitrous kit. Recently the nitrous solenoid has started leaking. I'm assuming that the seal has failed. The solenoid still functions and clicks when activated, which has led me to believe that mechanically it's still sound.
Although I've already purchased a replacement solenoid, I would like to kit this one and keep it as a spare. I've found where to get the rebuild kit. Are there any instructions on how to kit these?
I've noticed when the magnet and it's cover/baseplate is removed that there are two dimples in the valve body. Does this require a special tool to remove/disassemble?
I don't want to destroy the thing trying to taking it apart so I could use some instruction.
Thanks
Dan Haase Phoenix AZ
Dear Dan,
Yes you can rebuild the solenoids. What is your mailing address? I will send you the tool free of charge.
John Doe
Edelbrock Corporation Tech Department
Free shit's always cool. Response the same day I emailed em. Not too shabby.

Oldsquirt
07-22-2005, 04:52 PM
That's pretty cool of them. Of course now everyone will send their solenoids to you so you can fix them ...... for free of course. ;)
BTW, when you repair it, take pics. We all like pics. :D

bakerjet
07-22-2005, 06:21 PM
way cool! i waited for a week from tech about a mallory fuel pump and then it was wrong!

wsuwrhr
07-22-2005, 06:46 PM
John Doe?
Interesting.
Brian

berk
07-22-2005, 09:07 PM
i just shelved my edelbrock 600 for a speed demon 650. we will find out the results in the next week or so. i may get the edelbrock NOS kit after your experience with it.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10373SANY0800-med.JPG

Taylorman
07-23-2005, 04:05 AM
Dan,
I have solenoids that open and close for water to my headers. Last weekend i was at a lake that i had never been to before. While idleing out i ran up on a sand bar and my pump sucked in sand and clogged my my solenoid. Long story short, i had to take it apart for the first time. I wondered about that tool as well. I put the solenoid in a vise and used a screwdriver and a hammer. I hit it at an angle to unscrew it. It was hard to do, but i got it off.

Squirtcha?
07-23-2005, 06:53 AM
Dan,
I have solenoids that open and close for water to my headers. Last weekend i was at a lake that i had never been to before. While idleing out i ran up on a sand bar and my pump sucked in sand and clogged my my solenoid. Long story short, i had to take it apart for the first time. I wondered about that tool as well. I put the solenoid in a vise and used a screwdriver and a hammer. I hit it at an angle to unscrew it. It was hard to do, but i got it off.
I considered doing that too and figured it would work. How much of a whack did it take to loosen it up? My solenoid is about four years old and I did find some corrosion on the valve body. Hoping it's not enough to have welded the dang thing on.
The email to Edelbrock was not something I really expected to be answered back on. I've sent emails to other company's tech support departments and never heard anything back. Guess that's why I thought this one was cool.

mgar_red
07-23-2005, 03:47 PM
I believe you're refering to a spanner wrench. I researched a nitrous solenoid for a different application, and was told by the company rep that they order them from a valve company, and put their logo on them. One such being Peterpaul electronics. After obtaining different coils from a distributor, I accumulated many of these wrenches, as they supplied one with each order. Unfortunately I handed them out to my fishing buddies who used them for their reels. If they were still here I'd pass them out to those in need. Sorry. :(

HotRod Sprint
07-23-2005, 04:28 PM
I usually just use an old pair of needle nose pliers. But having a FREE spanner would be cool as well. :cool:
Rod

Squirtcha?
07-23-2005, 04:32 PM
I believe you're refering to a spanner wrench. I researched a nitrous solenoid for a different application, and was told by the company rep that they order them from a valve company, and put their logo on them. One such being Peterpaul electronics. After obtaining different coils from a distributor, I accumulated many of these wrenches, as they supplied one with each order. Unfortunately I handed them out to my fishing buddies who used them for their reels. If they were still here I'd pass them out to those in need. Sorry. :(
Yupper spanner wrench. I knew what it was...........finding the right size without running all over hell and back would've been another story. I also knew there was more than one way to skin a cat, but prefer to use the proper tools whenever possible (especially on aluminum parts).
I got confirmation from Edelbrock that they sent mine out today.