PDA

View Full Version : Question for Cat owners

JDB
07-22-2005, 10:47 PM
This is my second year with my 257 Effect and I absolutely love it! With that being said, I have always had either a jet or V-Drive with very little experience with stearn drives.
Two questions:
1. From cruise speed (50 to 60 mph) to wide open (95 to 110 mph) where should I be in trim attitude? I have a blue water trim indicator and I trim to 2 1/2 to 3 on the gauge. Is that enough trim?
2. I see certain Cats blasting by throwing up a rooster tail that almost would rival a jet with a Place Diverter. When Im WOT and trimed at 3, I do not throw up the big rooster tail. Does this mean that I dont have enough trim?
FYI, I have a blown 540 in my rig throwing off about 750 horse. GPS at WOT is showing around 109 mph. Im also running a 32, 3 blade prop.
Your comments would be appreciated!

Phat Matt
07-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Every boat is going to be different. How does it feel when you trim up more? Do you gain rpm's? Speed? Do you lose speed? You're doing 109. :2purples: How much faster do you want to go? :D
Good luck and be safe!

Boozer
07-22-2005, 11:01 PM
This is my second year with my 257 Effect and I absolutely love it! With that being said, I have always had either a jet or V-Drive with very little experience with stearn drives.
Two questions:
1. From cruise speed (50 to 60 mph) to wide open (95 to 110 mph) where should I be in trim attitude? I have a blue water trim indicator and I trim to 2 1/2 to 3 on the gauge. Is that enough trim?
2. I see certain Cats blasting by throwing up a rooster tail that almost would rival a jet with a Place Diverter. When Im WOT and trimed at 3, I do not throw up the big rooster tail. Does this mean that I dont have enough trim?
FYI, I have a blown 540 in my rig throwing off about 750 horse. GPS at WOT is showing around 109 mph. Im also running a 32, 3 blade prop.
Your comments would be appreciated!
Trim is like pu$$y. You and only you can tell when you have enough.
What's to much to you may not be enough for others and vice versa.

BADBLOWN572
07-22-2005, 11:02 PM
I also have the 257 and the trim angle really depends on the setup. When I worked there, we setup big h.p. engines differently than stock power. It all depends on your setup. The other thing is that it definitely depends on if your blue water is dialed in by the bottom of the boat or not. Most of the ones that I have seen are not. Basically all the way tucked in is at negative 2 on the indicator. Zero does not necessarily mean parallel to the bottom either. The best thing to do is to run it hard and play with your trim settings. You should be able to feel it as well as watch the tach and speedo. It takes osme time to get it right.

JDB
07-22-2005, 11:14 PM
THANKS GUYS! All points well taken!! Its not that my ass needs to go any faster, Im completely satisfied with the performance. I guess I am a little worried that I could damage something with to much trim at high speed running that much horse through the drive.
Bad Blown, your absolutely correct in the negative 2 position, thats exactly the way Im set up.
Last question for you guys.....when I first took possession of the boat, all the way up to the last few trips, I had ZERO problem popping up on plane.....for some reason, over the last few trips, I have MAJOR bow rise when I power up......can you think of any reason why this would suddenly happen with no additional weight or unusual conditions?
THANKS AGAIN GUYS!

Boozer
07-22-2005, 11:23 PM
THANKS GUYS! All points well taken!! Its not that my ass needs to go any faster, Im completely satisfied with the performance. I guess I am a little worried that I could damage something with to much trim at high speed running that much horse through the drive.
Bad Blown, your absolutely correct in the negative 2 position, thats exactly the way Im set up.
Last question for you guys.....when I first took possession of the boat, all the way up to the last few trips, I had ZERO problem popping up on plane.....for some reason, over the last few trips, I have MAJOR bow rise when I power up......can you think of any reason why this would suddenly happen with no additional weight or unusual conditions?
THANKS AGAIN GUYS!
Assuming you bought your boat brand new is it possible that things may be slightly different now that everything has settled into place?
On a side note, back to your original topic, in my experience I have been able to actually listen to my boat and can hear when I am trimmed up to high the prop starts cutting air and you can hear the noise it produces, it also results in the boat getting a little loose.
But then again, fully trimmed turning a 23p 3 blade prop I'm only seeing 49mph so we aren't talking apples to apples.

barbigrl
07-23-2005, 07:45 AM
I opened this thread thinking you had a question about kitty cats....http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_21.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxuk169YYUS')
:cry:

Jordy
07-23-2005, 07:48 AM
I opened this thread thinking you had a question about kitty cats....http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_21.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxuk169YYUS')
:cry:
Lay off the BG pills. Occasionally a thread in the sandbar is boat related and has nothing to do with dog molesters. :D
<embed src="http://home.att.net/~kittycatfurballssounds/dogbark1.wav" autostart="true" loop="false" width="0" height="0"></embed>

Dave C
07-23-2005, 08:12 AM
I don't know about you guys but I like those jordy pills.
JDB,
Not knowing anything about your boat so take this for what its worth:
With mine, I have to trim all the way down while getting on plane otherwise I get bow rise.
Trim is by feel and is different for all boats. Use your MPH and RPM's and feel the differences at different trim levels. Mine only uses a little bit of trim to get to max MPH but we have different bottoms.
RE: roost tails. it depends partially on the x-dimension (height of drive) I.E. the closer to the surface the more rooster tail.

Huckleberry
07-23-2005, 08:19 AM
I opened this thread nad a barking dog sound came on. Send both of my meatheads runnning to the front window to see who's pissin in their yard! Funny as chit!!! :rollside:

Speedin' Ian
07-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Have you changed the prop in the last few trips out? That could make a differnece in the way the boat comes on plane. Also like Dave C mentioned the rooster tail is determined mainly by your x-dimension, my V throws a pretty big roost at WOT when I am trimmed up, but my x-dimension is higher than most.

barbigrl
07-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Lay off the BG pills. Occasionally a thread in the sandbar is boat related and has nothing to do with dog molesters. :D
<embed src="http://home.att.net/~kittycatfurballssounds/dogbark1.wav" autostart="true" loop="false" width="0" height="0"></embed>
lol..... :cry: :cry: :p

Procraftkev
07-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Trim it high and let it fly,You will feel when its right I dont use the guage. :cool:

02HoWaRd26
07-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Its all about the feel like they said the gauge is just for idea when you find the sweet zone it will be different tommorrow on the gauge so i think its just novelty...