PDA

View Full Version : Tax question: to limit my tax liability is registering in AZ or NV better than CA?

Wake Havasu
07-23-2005, 08:39 AM
Tax question
WhatÂ’s the best way to limit taxation on a boat purchase for a So Cal resident boater?
If I buy in CA how can I limit my liability for tax and property tax, etc?
Am I better served by reging in AZ or NV as non res?
Or is there another route even better than reging in CA, AZ?
Whats the trick?

Havasu_Dreamin
07-23-2005, 08:42 AM
Register in AZ as a non-resident. However, the boat needs to be predominantly use, >50% of the time, used in AZ and also needs to be stored in AZ on January 1 of the tax year.

Wake Havasu
07-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Register in AZ as a non-resident. However, the boat needs to be predominantly, >50% of the time, used in Az and also needs to be stored in AZ on January 1 of the tax year.
So which side of the river is the AZ side - Left or Right? / joke off
:D

azgfboatgirl
07-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Tax question
WhatÂ’s the best way to limit taxation on a boat purchase for a So Cal resident boater?
If I buy in CA how can I limit my liability for tax and property tax, etc?
Am I better served by reging in AZ or NV as non res?
Or is there another route even better than reging in CA, AZ?
Whats the trick?
When you buy your new boat, are you paying sales tax to the Dealer?
AZ does not assess property tax on your boat. :)
Not sure what Nevada's requirements are.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-23-2005, 09:36 AM
So which side of the river is the AZ side - Left or Right? / joke off
:D
I know it's a joke, but for storage issues, it would need to be physically stored in AZ to meet the January 1 part of the law.

BrendellaJet
07-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Just be out on the water on New years day!

Party Cat
07-23-2005, 09:56 AM
As far as Property tax and Reg fees...I'd say go to Nevada...especially with the upcoming fee increases in AZ...
I'm registered in NV for the boat and pay $55 (their fees are the same for res and non-res) a year for my tags and I don't have to have the boat in NV on Jan 1st... I don't get hit with any Property taxes either...
By Law...you are supposed to register the vessel in the state that you use it more than 50% of the time...
Trailer is registered in CA...
Here's a list of the Nevada fees...
Less than 13 feet $20
13 feet or more but less than 18 $25
18 feet or more but less than 22 $40
22 feet or more but less than 26 $55
26 feet or more but less than 31 $75
31 feet or more $100
Other Fees
Nevada Title Transfer Fee: $20
Replacement Certificate of Ownership: $20
Replacement Certificate of Number and/or Decals: $20
Replacement Certificate of Ownership and Certificate of Number: $20

HocusPocus
07-23-2005, 10:02 AM
something i heard.. and i think was even on this board. was that some folks who purchased their boats in california.. but took delivery in arizona to avoid taxes... are now being hunted down by the california tax man. california is hurting for revenue and are going after it where ever they can get it. im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.. but its something to think about.

wanna B V
07-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Hey, party cat, do you know the how to's on registering in NV for non resident??

Kilrtoy
07-23-2005, 10:15 PM
something i heard.. and i think was even on this board. was that some folks who purchased their boats in california.. but took delivery in arizona to avoid taxes... are now being hunted down by the california tax man. california is hurting for revenue and are going after it where ever they can get it. im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.. but its something to think about.
Let them hunt....
They aint getting SHIT from me.....

Faster Daddy
07-24-2005, 12:06 AM
Oregon. Register on-line. No sales tax. No residency requirement. :)

Party Cat
07-24-2005, 05:03 AM
Hey, party cat, do you know the how to's on registering in NV for non resident??
You have to have the boat inspected by NV...the fees are the same for res vs non res....afaik...all ya do is take it there...have em check it out...pay your fees and go on your way...If ya keep your boat in Cali and tow out to the lakes...make sure that ya keep your trailer reg'd in Cali so the CHP's are happy :)
you can check things out here....NDOW (http://www.boatnevada.org/register/#out)