PDA

View Full Version : Fathers rights attorneys....

Cole
07-23-2005, 08:49 AM
I'v had it with my X... :mad: :mad:
I have bent over backwards to try and cater to her every whim!!!!
We addresed this a little bit in the past, so I talked a Fathers rights attorney this week and he seems like a KICK ASS Attorney...does $4000.00 sound about right?
That includes everything!
Does anyone have an Attorney that you used and liked? let me know Thanks

barbigrl
07-23-2005, 08:51 AM
$4,000 sounds GREAT especially if it is for EVERYTHING. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable with your attorney and you trust him. ( I work in law) ;) good luck

Keithb87
07-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Don't have an attny et, but I may be looking for one in the near future.
I too bend over backwards to keep her "Happy" and all I get is grief. Then I find out that I should have been getting the kids deduction on my taxes for 2 the last 4 years and all that she can do is whine about how much her and her new husband need the deductions cuz he make too much money :mad:

meaniam
07-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Don't have an attny et, but I may be looking for one in the near future.
I too bend over backwards to keep her "Happy" and all I get is grief. Then I find out that I should have been getting the kids deduction on my taxes for 2 the last 4 years and all that she can do is whine about how much her and her new husband need the deductions cuz he make too much money :mad:
tell her that is too fing bad and just claim them. someone will get the audit

Wally_Gator
07-23-2005, 09:12 AM
I'v had it with my X... :mad: :mad:
I have bent over backwards to try and cater to her every whim!!!!
We addresed this a little bit in the past, so I talked a Fathers rights attorney this week and he seems like a KICK ASS Attorney...does $4000.00 sound about right?
That includes everything!
Does anyone have an Attorney that you used and liked? let me know Thanks
Sounds like a retainer only...
Depending upon court time, that can be eaten up really fast....

Cole
07-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Sounds like a retainer only...
Depending upon court time, that can be eaten up really fast....
Nope, not a retainer...but i'll double check

PlyaPlya22
07-23-2005, 09:15 AM
I learned whenever you bend over backwards for an ex....it just gives a clear shot to kick you right in the JUNK :burningm:

CNeidhart
07-23-2005, 09:26 AM
I agree with WG. That's probably just a retainer. Get his/her agreement in writing. It will probably exclude trial cost.
I believe, never shop price for an Attorney or an Accountant. You will get what you paid for. Always try and get a referral. With the amount of divorces yearly, this forum should be a great place.
The Bar Association will have a list of specialized firms that you can pursue.
PS: You may want to change the Avatar, if you are in a custody battle.

Cole
07-23-2005, 09:35 AM
I learned whenever you bend over backwards for an ex....it just gives a clear shot to kick you right in the JUNK :burningm:
LOL...No kidding. My junk still hurts!!!

BrendellaJet
07-23-2005, 09:40 AM
tell her that is too fing bad and just claim them. someone will get the audit
Actually, they both will! Enjoy!

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
07-23-2005, 09:45 AM
That may be a good idea!!!! My sister was going through some crap with her ex and they will use any and every thing on a person for a custody battle. No matter how big or small it is.
Just my 2 cents..
Good luck with everything :D

Cole
07-23-2005, 09:53 AM
I agree with WG. That's probably just a retainer. Get his/her agreement in writing. It will probably exclude trial cost.
I believe, never shop price for an Attorney or an Accountant. You will get what you paid for. Always try and get a referral. With the amount of divorces yearly, this forum should be a great place.
The Bar Association will have a list of specialized firms that you can pursue.
LOL...That avatar sums up how i feel about her!!!
probably a good idea non the less

NoCal NoBoat
07-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Cole -
Been there. It's difficult. Try to find some common ground before you sit down with the attorney. Time = $$$, and I spent a lot of $$$'s "negotiating"
with my ex-wife in the attorney's presence.
Ask how he bills his time. Some bill hourly, but most break it down to 10 or 15 minute segments. I learned very quickly that a phone call costs about $ 150.00, and letters $ 150.00 or more.
Be prepared for the possibility that she'll lawyer up (if she hasn't already) and plan on you paying for him/her. The new husband may resent the fact that she's spending "their" money. This may or may not work in your favor.
If $ 4K is the total price, it could be very reasonable, based on my experience.
If it's a retainer, and your ex-wife starts playing a "stall" game, that money will go quickly.
Sorry for any bad news. Mine worked out O/K. It turned out that the Family Court in Contra Costa County appreciates fathers who want to retain their place in their kid's lives, and pay the required support with no drama. I actually won a few points in court.
At this point, between you and your ex-wife, it's strictly business. I hope she
comes to that conclusion, and decides to pursue the win-win for everyone involved.

jackpunx
07-23-2005, 10:42 AM
$4,000 sounds GREAT especially if it is for EVERYTHING. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable with your attorney and you trust him. ( I work in law) ;) good luck
just because you were handcuffed to a boat dosnt mean you work in law..lol
J/k

lewiville
07-23-2005, 10:42 AM
thats about right in the ball bark, until you start payinig for her attorney. My total cost so far is $14,000

FOURQ
07-23-2005, 10:47 AM
i just got done going through all this crap and my bill is 14,000 but hey i did get to bend her over one more time and she didnt like it.. i was having problems seeing my kids. I was paying support with no order so she wanted more $$$ and not let me see the kids .. well long story short i got them 50% and pay her less than i was on my own...4k sounds a little to cheap prolly the retainer....thats around what mine was...
Q

AirtimeLavey
07-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Hate to say it, but that's gonna be just the start of things and it will get higher. Try and keep the lawyer shinanigans to a minimum and keep the bigger picture in mind (don't get wrapped up in the little shiat). The faster it's done, the cheaper it is. Don't agree to anything you don't completely understand or want, cause it will cost you to go back and fix later. Good luck.

FOURQ
07-23-2005, 10:52 AM
i to would agree with that one .. my ex told them about some shit that was on my computer and they wanted to pick up my computer and look at what was on it .