PDA

View Full Version : Lame Question....

stashtrey
07-23-2005, 12:05 PM
Okay... I'm a complete jet newb.
Does a typical Jet boat have a neutral? or is it always in 'gear'?
If it doesn't have a neutral, how do you overcome this at the dock/launch?
I bought a jet last weekend and will be picking it up next weekend and all these questions are now entering my mind.
/former I/O owner

xs ultra
07-23-2005, 12:18 PM
half way in forward and half way in to reverse = neutral
welcome to the jet world.

stashtrey
07-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the reply... let me make sure I understand...
There is no neutral..... just either forward or reverse in idle?

xs ultra
07-23-2005, 12:26 PM
your neutral is half way in between.
jets are tricky at the docks it will take some practice

stashtrey
07-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks! I'll be sure to go to the less crowded launch so I don't cause any problems.
I appreciate your time!

Oldsquirt
07-23-2005, 12:30 PM
If the engine is running the pump is turning. They are directly coupled.
Neutral is just a balance between forward thrust and reverse thrust.

Nucking futs
07-23-2005, 12:34 PM
IMO jets are alot easier to manuver (sp) at docks and such.
But hey im a southwind guy, what do I know............ :D

lucky
07-23-2005, 12:35 PM
and the gas is not your friend at the dock ! be very liberal with it - :D I always find it best to pick a spot and coast as close - then use paddle -

stashtrey
07-23-2005, 12:39 PM
This should make my first trip to the river interesting. I'll pick a dock that is down current.... I'm sure I'll be a pro in no time. There is no rudder on the jet, so that should also make it interesting.
Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it!!

Keithb87
07-23-2005, 12:43 PM
And they don't steer real well at low speeds.. :sqeyes:

stashtrey
07-23-2005, 12:45 PM
here are a few pics of the boat i picked up.... can't wait to get it home!!
http://www.hostimage.net/images/stashtrey/b3.jpg
http://www.hostimage.net/images/stashtrey/b2.jpg
Not sure how to hotlink if those don't link. Obviously.. just cut and paste.
What do you think?

Slacker
07-23-2005, 12:52 PM
And they don't steer real well at low speeds.. :sqeyes:
true... especially when there is some wake! It just takes practice

MAINEVENT
07-23-2005, 12:56 PM
If the engine is running the pump is turning. They are directly coupled.
Neutral is just a balance between forward thrust and reverse thrust.
Bast explanation :p and remember No gas No Turn :idea:

FHI-prez
07-23-2005, 01:03 PM
I'd say jets are much better at the dock than other boats. Once you get good at it, you can walk em sideways right into the dock, nice and gentle like. You could do it with a wacker or an I/O I suppose, but you'd be constatly grinding it in and out of gear. You get the combo of throttle/steering/shifter down, you can put it anywhere nice and purdy. The only problem is if the dock area is shallow, you end up sucking in all kinds of crap when you are messing around in reverse. So for shallow areas, I'll coast in, goose it in reverse, and shut it down and cross my fingers. :skull:
Nick

lucky
07-23-2005, 01:20 PM
v drive with a tranny , the only way to float

FASTRAT
07-23-2005, 01:44 PM
This should make my first trip to the river interesting. I'll pick a dock that is down current.... I'm sure I'll be a pro in no time. There is no rudder on the jet, so that should also make it interesting.
Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it!!
u can put a rudder on it & make everything much easier (turning...docking etc)...some1 on here prob has a spare one!
fastrat

hondajoey
07-23-2005, 01:57 PM
it just takes practic ether way you are going to love your new jet boat. i have had 3 jets and one I/O and i will always have a jet in the garage

Moneypitt
07-23-2005, 01:58 PM
As stated, no gas NO steer. This means if you see a hazzard on the water and let off the gas, you CAN NOT TURN without getting back on the gas. You can however go from full forward, let off, to full reverse and nail it (hang on)you're going to stop!!!. This really takes some practice, so try it at a low speed, just to see what it is going to do befroe you have to do it to avoid something at higher speeds......Also.... While sitting still, DO NOT STAND ON THE GAS IN REVERSE, you will more than likely sink the boat....MP

superdave013
07-23-2005, 02:12 PM
here are a few pics of the boat i picked up.... can't wait to get it home!!
http://www.hostimage.net/images/stashtrey/b3.jpg
http://www.hostimage.net/images/stashtrey/b2.jpg
Not sure how to hotlink if those don't link. Obviously.. just cut and paste.
What do you think?
Nice boat man, you will have no problems driving. A little different but you will catch on quick! I think you will find it easier around the dock then your I/O by the end of the day.

bajarunner
07-23-2005, 04:19 PM
Something important to know. When coming up to an object (boat,dock,etc) at times you may come in a little fast. Knowing this don't put it into reverse and gas it hard unless you have your hand ON THE LEVER keeping it in reverse. Many times the thrust will put you back in forward and blast you into the object you where trying to avoid. Go out and try this in open water to get a feel of what I'm taking about, some jets do this a little more than others. :sqeyes:

FASTRAT
07-23-2005, 04:32 PM
i dont recommend that if as MP says...ur jamin' & come upon a hazzard etc...that u jam it into reverse to stop...u will stop alrite...but...u will also be hauling ur boat up off the bottom from the wake that just followed u into the back of the boat!!!...duh, ya think!!!
fastrat

Moneypitt
07-23-2005, 05:59 PM
I've done it many times, full blast, back off, full reverse and hit it HARD to avoid hazzards. True, the wake will catch you, but it would depend on what you're trying to miss ahead of you, and how big and close the wake is.......After slowing quickly, then the hazzard ahead can usually be avoided even while moving forward, and getting away from your wake. Different circumstances require different actions, but in a jet you do have the ability to slam on the brakes..........MP

'78 gt boat
07-23-2005, 06:34 PM
As a newb to jet boats myself I will say that trying to dock for the first time was quite fun. I had a friend taking pics cause they thought it was funny. My only advice is just don't panic, you end up hitting things when you do. :eek:

jtmarten
07-23-2005, 09:23 PM
You should have plenty of freeboard on the transom of that mini daycruiser to make a short stop and not worry about the wake. I've done it several times in my 23' and taken no water over the transom.
Very nice lookin' cruiser!