PDA

View Full Version : power vs chinewalk

crmax
03-17-2002, 03:22 PM
has anyone seen chine walk change with a power and prop upgrade if so what was done and how did ut affect chinewalk

Costello
03-17-2002, 06:54 PM
Chine walk is typically a setup problem with the boat wanting to drive itself out of the water, and then becomes light on the ass and starts to walk. Don't take my word as expert advice, but adding more power to the existing setup when you have a problem will more than likely exacerbate the situation. You have to make the boat happy first before adding horsepower as a general rule.

crmax
03-17-2002, 08:25 PM
one of the answers for my boat has been to go from a 3 to a 4 blade prop but Id hate to lose any mph so I havent tried it yet

playdeep
03-17-2002, 08:33 PM
crmax, What type of hull? straight v,pad bottom,stepped?

ratso
03-17-2002, 08:43 PM
Seems a lot of vees encounter some chinewalk. With proper set-up, most of it should be eliminated. They are performing a balancing act, so seat time is also a major factor. More info on your boat would be helpful.

crmax
03-18-2002, 01:43 PM
its a 1999 20" wellcraft excalibur, it has what they call step lift VII bottom which has a small pad. this was a genric question I just wanted to see what happened to chinewalk as power and prop increased

Costello
03-19-2002, 10:15 AM
I think a prop change would be the first thing to make your boat "happier". Try something that won't produce as much lift at speed, that should be something with less rake as I understand it. A good prop guy should be able to help you make a selection.