PDA

View Full Version : dodge truck problems

meaniam
07-23-2005, 05:29 PM
hey guys a friend of mine has a grandmother, she own a 98 dodge 1500 4x4. she has engine light coming on. code read po 442 vaccum leak.brought it to a small shop they cant fix it. when i was working for a dodge dealer as service advisor, these trucks always seemed to have head cracking issues. i belive #1 and 7 cyl or #4and 6 cyl. on most v8s. now i am hoping this is not the case here but looking for thoughts on this.
now when the trucks came in our dealership. they would have any one of these problems. misfire code, vaccum leak,1 of 4 o2 sensors failed. cat plugged up, or rough idle. most cases this meant head problems. what do you guys think. comment suggestion idea where to look for common vaccum leaks
mike

meaniam
07-23-2005, 05:30 PM
and i figured id beat you to it. i told her sell it go see jay for a chevy

hoolign
07-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Why not just take it to dodge

Kachina26
07-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Got an aftermarket locking gas cap? I've had problems with those. 442 indicates a small leak, you need to pressurize the system with nitrogen and go looking with an ultrasonic leak detector. Anyone that knows what they are doing should be able to find it.

meaniam
07-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Got an aftermarket locking gas cap? I've had problems with those. 442 indicates a small leak, you need to pressurize the system with nitrogen and go looking with an ultrasonic leak detector. Anyone that knows what they are doing should be able to find it.
are you familer with the evap recall on full size monteros. 03 and newer. if so is that the kind of test you are talking about.

Kachina26
07-23-2005, 05:54 PM
are you familer with the evap recall on full size monteros. 03 and newer. if so is that the kind of test you are talking about.
I don't know anything about Made Of Plastic And Rubber MOPAR cars, but the P0442 is a universal code as per OBDII. OBDII specifies the amount of vacuum decay over a specific amount of time to determine whether or not to set an evap failure code. The test I'm refering to is simply a diagnostic proceedure where nitrogen is introduced into a sealed system and you inspect the system for leaks using a super sensitive sound detection device. This device is so sensitive that it can pick up the sound of you gently rubbing your fingers together.

Kindsvater Flat
07-23-2005, 06:01 PM
Nitrogen is cool and you can also use a smoke machine to check for leaks also. My problem I see most commonly are the vent valves plugging with or filling with dirt. The have the same problem back east but with water contamination on the vent valve. Gas caps, especially fords, SUCK. Kachina pretty much nailed down what to look for. The code I see most often is the PO446 which I have a fix for. Works real well for high dust environments.