PDA

View Full Version : 700HP 496 what do I need

mike37
07-24-2005, 07:06 AM
I want to build a 700hp 496
and run on pump gas
so I know there are a lot of you gear heads out there that can give me some good info
so starting with a 496 block do I need a 4 bolt for 700hp I think hell yes
then what crank rods pistons heads ext.
give me a build list guys lets see what you can come up with
this will a winter project for me and my sons
and next Summer we will see how well the collective mind of hot bot can design a motor
I need to start collecting parts so 496 block any one
I have a ling on 496 mag short block but its not a 4bolt but I think thats not a good starting point and all the other part would be replaced

Beer-30
07-24-2005, 07:35 AM
www.raylarengine.com

mike37
07-24-2005, 08:58 AM
I know about raylar and they are an option
but would like to see what every one can come up with

jdf
07-24-2005, 09:10 AM
deep pocket's full of green back's

Beer-30
07-24-2005, 09:49 AM
deep pocket's full of green back's
Yeah, other than money.......
If you are gonna build what you WANT and want it to last, put aside $15-20K.

wet77
07-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Yeah, other than money.......
If you are gonna build what you WANT and want it to last, put aside $15-20K.
Just finished my 540 dart motor and yes sir $15K++++ :eek:
You might have to go dual carb and more compression, I got 700hp out of 540CI :frown:
I did not go with cnc heads or port match the intake ect... so maybe if you did the little extras you can achieve your goal :cool:
Also my cam is only a 688 mech roller :cool:
Maybe more lift would benifit you :hammerhea
Good luck and do not CHEAP out on anything I just learned my lesson on my cheaper mallory that died after 2 hours of run time :2purples:
Changed to MSD pro billet and it runs great now.

blowngas
07-24-2005, 10:30 AM
$15-20K
B.S.----for that kind of money you can build an all out aluminum race motor with almost new parts
if you take your time and selectively buy when prices are right, you can build a nice 496 by buying from the various web sites classifieds and ebay---
right now I have approx $1200 in roller cam (used), roller lifters (new), crane gold rockers (used), crand stud girdle (used), roller springs and retainers (used), dart intake (used) for a upgrade on a 496 for this winter---will still need to buy new pistons (12.5 to 1) and a dominator---have the rotating assembly balanced, put in new bearings and go run it----you can find 4 bolt caps used or go steel splayed caps with your block and have it line bored and buy a good new rotating assembly, heads and all for way less than 15-20k

mike37
07-24-2005, 10:39 AM
B.S.----for that kind of money you can build an all out aluminum race motor with almost new parts
if you take your time and selectively buy when prices are right, you can build a nice 496 by buying from the various web sites classifieds and ebay---
right now I have approx $1200 in roller cam (used), roller lifters (new), crane gold rockers (used), crand stud girdle (used), roller springs and retainers (used), dart intake (used) for a upgrade on a 496 for this winter---will still need to buy new pistons (12.5 to 1) and a dominator---have the rotating assembly balanced, put in new bearings and go run it----you can find 4 bolt caps used or go steel splayed caps with your block and have it line bored and buy a good new rotating assembly, heads and all for way less than 15-20k
I know your right that why I'm looking to find a parts list
so I can start looking
and are you saying that you can make a 2bolt block into a 4bolt
I was thinking its possible

Beer-30
07-24-2005, 10:55 AM
We're not talking just parts, here, killer. After you take all of those nice parts you have and spend 6-7K on block prep, balancing, clearancing, degreeing, porting.......you are right back at $15K. Ask anyone.

steelcomp
07-24-2005, 11:01 AM
All I can say to that is I'm LMFAO!!!!

mike37
07-24-2005, 11:19 AM
OK lets stop all the $$$ bickering
and start some parts lists going
start with 496 block
go from their do we want to keep the stock crank
do we want to do port an polish to the stock heads or go with aluminum heads
rods
pistons
cam
rockers
lifters
???

RiverRacer
07-24-2005, 11:36 AM
I want to build a 700hp 496
and run on pump gas
so I know there are a lot of you gear heads out there that can give me some good info
I'm confused. I see your avatar and I see you looking for advice on how to get 700 hp out of 496". Typically, that is a BBC displacement. Is this a Ford, or BBC, you're wanting to build?? RR

mike37
07-24-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm confused. I see your avatar and I see you looking for advice on how to get 700 hp out of 496". Typically, that is a BBC displacement. Is this a Ford, or BBC, you're wanting to build?? RR
I have a BBC in the boat merc 496 ho
I want to build one and keep the stock one for spare
want to stay with the 496 so we can use all the marine parts of the stock motor

Jet City
07-24-2005, 12:23 PM
If those were my goals I'd consider a blower kit, you could build a rather uncomplicated 496 (8-71, rect port, cast crank, "H" beam rods and a quality piston) that could achieve your 700 HP on pump gas. Dyer's blowers has some good info on their site, they claim making 1.5 HP per C.I.D. on pump gas is realistic, I would think this could be done for sub $10K if you don't get carried away.

djunkie
07-24-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm a little confused here. The motor he wants to build up is the Merc. 496 HO. Are the internals, heads, etc. the same as a standard big bolck chevy? I didn't think they were. Thats why companies like Raylar are so hot right now. They are making parts for this motor.

probablecause
07-24-2005, 12:54 PM
I love these 15k motor mentality quotes - purple this, red that, anodized everything, got to have x,y, and z for it to start and last - come on folks. For 15k, Lew Larson in South Gate (California) could build you a blown motor that would put out 900 hp on pump gas.
For 4k, and with my four bolt gen 4 block from my boat, he rebuilt my motor, bore, hone, everything and gave me 500 hp with forged this, and neat that... Stop the deep pocket crap and answer his question. I've got a Gale Banks Twin Turbo setup with stage 3 cooler that I picked up for 1100.00 and the turbos and carb are perfect. The kit came with everything except the oil pan. For another 100.00, I found two aluminum water cooled turbo covers for the Gentry's. If you spend some time and look hard enough, you can find the parts you need. Yes and No - you get what you pay for, but only if you do it with your eyes closed. Still waiting for someone to answer his question.

Jet City
07-24-2005, 12:57 PM
It's a Merc I/O?...what can the drive handle?

Blown 472
07-24-2005, 01:05 PM
A sticker.

Raylar
07-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Mike:
I will try to start you in the right direction. First all 496 (8.1) blocks are 4 bolt and the same, that's the only way they come. Second you have to make a decision, do you want to stay EFI naturally aspirated or do you want to supercharge. Third, make the decision to stay with the Mercury "guardian "system ECM and wiring, why, because it will do the best job of protecting your investment. If you want to supercharge the stock special cast crank is a good part and has easily taken 700HP NA or supercharged if its clearanced properly, installed with correct bearings and balanced. This crank is nothing like old weak cast cranks! With either supercharging or a NA build up you will need new billet rods and good forged pistons. You will have to get a good core block, mag it, line hone it, deck and square it up. Main cap bolts are fine and a good HV (Melling)anti-cavatation oil pump. You will either need to use our heads in the kit form for NA or ProCharger install. If you use the Whipple kit(if you can get one?) just the heads and cam kit will do. Supercharging will allow you to stay at 496 cu.in. size or there abouts. If you can live with 250 to 500 hour engine life, then supercharging this way will work. If you want a normally aspirated 496 with 750 to 1000 hour life and 700+HP you will need one of our new 600 cubic inch 496 motors. "What's that you say a 600 cubic inch 496 engine!" Yes, we just fired up our proto-type of this motor in our R&D shop and "Its Alive" How did we do it?, that's a secret, but it will be on the dyno shortly for testing and we will release numbers when we know we "got it right". It runs on the Mercury 496HO ECM with "guardian", runs on 89 octane fuel, idles at 700rpms with our new e-box and small changes to injectors, throttle body and such. I would honestly tell you if you could get this type of a NA 496(8.1) anywhere else, but the truth is I don't know of anyone else in the industry who can get you there. There are plenty of builders like Paul Pfaff and Larry Peto, etc who can help you with a supercharged 700HP+ 496 and with the right parts and programming work, it should be an excellent motor. In any event, hope this helps with your motor planning and helps to start you in the right direction. Good Luck!! Have Fun!!
Ray @ Raylar :idea:

Beer-30
07-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Mike:
I will try to start you in the right direction. First all 496 (8.1) blocks are 4 bolt and the same, that's the only way they come. Second you have to make a decision, do you want to stay EFI naturally aspirated or do you want to supercharge. Third, make the decision to stay with the Mercury "guardian "system ECM and wiring, why, because it will do the best job of protecting your investment. If you want to supercharge the stock special cast crank is a good part and has easily taken 700HP NA or supercharged if its clearanced properly, installed with correct bearings and balanced. This crank is nothing like old weak cast cranks! With either supercharging or a NA build up you will need new billet rods and good forged pistons. You will have to get a good core block, mag it, line hone it, deck and square it up. Main cap bolts are fine and a good HV (Melling)anti-cavatation oil pump. You will either need to use our heads in the kit form for NA or ProCharger install. If you use the Whipple kit(if you can get one?) just the heads and cam kit will do. Supercharging will allow you to stay at 496 cu.in. size or there abouts. If you can live with 250 to 500 hour engine life, then supercharging this way will work. If you want a normally aspirated 496 with 750 to 1000 hour life and 700+HP you will need one of our new 600 cubic inch 496 motors. "What's that you say a 600 cubic inch 496 engine!" Yes, we just fired up our proto-type of this motor in our R&D shop and "Its Alive" How did we do it?, that's a secret, but it will be on the dyno shortly for testing and we will release numbers when we know we "got it right". It runs on the Mercury 496HO ECM with "guardian", runs on 89 octane fuel, idles at 700rpms with our new e-box and small changes to injectors, throttle body and such. I would honestly tell you if you could get this type of a NA 496(8.1) anywhere else, but the truth is I don't know of anyone else in the industry who can get you there. There are plenty of builders like Paul Pfaff and Larry Peto, etc who can help you with a supercharged 700HP+ 496 and with the right parts and programming work, it should be an excellent motor. In any event, hope this helps with your motor planning and helps to start you in the right direction. Good Luck!! Have Fun!!
Ray @ Raylar :idea:
Excellent, Ray. Well spoken. BTW, I am still pushing Merc on the ECM idle soot. Thanks again for taking time to keep us informed on new developments for this motor.

Beer-30
07-24-2005, 02:26 PM
I love these 15k motor mentality quotes - purple this, red that, anodized everything, got to have x,y, and z for it to start and last - come on folks. For 15k, Lew Larson in South Gate (California) could build you a blown motor that would put out 900 hp on pump gas.
For 4k, and with my four bolt gen 4 block from my boat, he rebuilt my motor, bore, hone, everything and gave me 500 hp with forged this, and neat that... Stop the deep pocket crap and answer his question. I've got a Gale Banks Twin Turbo setup with stage 3 cooler that I picked up for 1100.00 and the turbos and carb are perfect. The kit came with everything except the oil pan. For another 100.00, I found two aluminum water cooled turbo covers for the Gentry's. If you spend some time and look hard enough, you can find the parts you need. Yes and No - you get what you pay for, but only if you do it with your eyes closed. Still waiting for someone to answer his question.
Love the twin turbos, but you lost me at "carb". :hammerhea

probablecause
07-24-2005, 03:14 PM
...meaning a lot of people make claims about the things they have... this carb was described as, "Holley High Performance Carb (double accelerator pump modified for turbo kit." When checked out, it was in fact what the owner said it was.

Beer-30
07-24-2005, 03:35 PM
...meaning a lot of people make claims about the things they have... this carb was described as, "Holley High Performance Carb (double accelerator pump modified for turbo kit." When checked out, it was in fact what the owner said it was.
No, just that I would hope Mike37 would want to remain EFI and not go backward to a carb. Don't know of a 8.1 carb manifold, anyway so it is probably a moot point, that's all.

mike37
07-24-2005, 04:02 PM
raylar thanks for the info I didn't know that all 496 had 4bolt main
so now I can start looking at some of the deals on merc 496 blocks
and it seams that the stock crank is good for what I'm looking to do
I would love to buy every thing from raylar but $$$ are hard to come by
so I wanted to see about collecting good used parts
rods
roller rockers
aluminum heads
good cam the some one has bought but didn't use the will work on the 496
EFI yes I want to keep it that way but want options
I'm keeping my stock motor mostly in tact
and building one for fun
blower is an option
I'm looking for input
all of you that have replied
have ideas that sound good
give me a list
not just you need a cam and some good heads and maby a blower
I'm interested
cam what type
rods what type
pistons what type
lets get it going
thank guys mike

mike37
07-24-2005, 04:08 PM
If those were my goals I'd consider a blower kit, you could build a rather uncomplicated 496 (8-71, rect port, cast crank, "H" beam rods and a quality piston) that could achieve your 700 HP on pump gas. Dyer's blowers has some good info on their site, they claim making 1.5 HP per C.I.D. on pump gas is realistic, I would think this could be done for sub $10K if you don't get carried away.
this is the type of thing I'm looking for
options can you give me a little more info on how you would build a 700hp 496
I don't need flashy just power

blowngas
07-24-2005, 04:16 PM
when I first read your post about building a 496 I naturally assumed that taking a 454 and hopping it up would be what you were trying to achieve---I've only seen one of the late model 496 efi motors apart, and have to agree it is a little different----espically the peanut port heads----I'm still not sure what you are out to achieve other than have a spare motor for your present ride that will attain 700 hp
If you are trying to achieve that and are adamant about staying with the mercruiser efi deal, then you can start with the bare "bones" and enjoy hunting for the parts and assemble it as you go or buy a 496 short block as listed below----I found this on a "google" search, I do not know these people, have no connection with them, but if you wanted a good foundation to start with, take a look----and you should still wind up spending far less than 15k for what you want
"we do have twenty five brand new 502 longblocks at $6,500 each and seventy five 496 longblocks at $5900. Call either Danny up and swear you are sending a wire transfer to us and we'll reserve a couple for you. I don't think anybody anywhere has them except us. So call the number 1.800.575.6998 if you are in the states or call 001.815.838.4850 if you are elsewhere or e-mail rebuilt@comcast.net"
I don't have any idea what Raylar is using for modifications as far as heads, cams and lifters to bump up the engines they sell, but other folks do efi fuel controll system revisions for n/a and blown applications too----it's sorta like needing a cancer doctor---you can go with the first one you choose or get a second opinion

probablecause
07-24-2005, 04:29 PM
No, just that I would hope Mike37 would want to remain EFI and not go backward to a carb. Don't know of a 8.1 carb manifold, anyway so it is probably a moot point, that's all.
I was referring to the research aspect of it. Since the thread originally started as a 496 build and evolved into the Gen VI 496, I see where we got lost. There is no 8.1 carb manifold. Was referring to a gen IV bore and stroke (ie. a stroked 454 to 496).

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-24-2005, 07:39 PM
ok for the people that are crying about 15k on a motor your crazy! you can just click on here and get that easily for under 15k. plus you even get better parts............ If its a covered engine build it for the ponies then come back and make her puurrdy;)http://dragboats.com/classifieds/allads.php?AdTypeID=20
They build some serious motors here;)
just look at these specs...
Blown gas 482 cubic inch Chevy with PSI screw blower 200 H. All aluminum with Kieth Black block, Crower crank, MSD mag 20, T&D rockers and much more., all quality. Built by Rick Santos at S&S Machine. Can be converted easily to alcohol for pro mod or ? $10,700, absolutely complete. Computer also available.
That the one and only keith black "creme de le creme" block too!!
or this one..........
blown 511 chevy , 1471 blower, bird catcher injector , 110 Enderle pump , cola crank , fowler rods, aries pistons, comp roller, mallory super mag2, Chute jacket large with bag . $ 8,500 or trade for fatboy
Then you would have bragging right about having the biggest blower;)
These guys use the best parts possible..... like some of the other guys were saying. you just have to look hard and can find the right shit for the right price;)
If I were to build 700 horse I would use a blower or high compression.High compression is the cheapest reliable compression to me. Hell avgas isnt much more $$ that that skunk piss out of the pump :yuk: you guys use plus it burns cleaner and smells great;)
just my .02 pennies though. Oh but who am I;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-24-2005, 07:41 PM
Af***in' men!!!!!! I totally agree!

Raylar
08-25-2005, 05:12 PM
I absolutly agree here, there are lots of great parts, combo's and engine builders who can easily make 600HP+ EFI and 700HP + supercharged very economically with "older" GEN 5 and GEN 6 big block chevy motors. What most here are not understanding here is Mike has a GEN 7 8.1Liter symetrical port 2001-2005 vintage Merc 496 engine. It will not accept any of the older style, cranks, rods, pistons, heads, cams, etc. etc. etc. It is a completely new family of motor. This is why we have done all of our research and development and put so much time and investment into all the new parts and technologies we have developed for this motor. We are the only company in the world who makes aluminum heads for this motor and most of our other components are also unique and specifically for this GEN 7 version motor. I think calling this motor GEN 7 would save a lot of confusion that exists, since calling it a 496 makes a lot of engine and boat guys think its a stroked 454 Gen 5 or 6 motor. ITS NOT!
Mike, your chance of finding any used cheap GEN 7 - 8.1 liter parts that can make 700HP without a supercharger is slim and none! The motor is to new and everyone is looking for these parts and calling us. If you would like 700 real HP you have three good choices, but they are not going to be some cheap deal. First, buy forged rods and pistons for your 496 block, have your steel heads CNC'd with all new valves, springs, retainers, rockers, etc. or buy our aluminum heads ready to run. Then put a
Whipple 3.3L supercharger kit with headers and new ECM program if you can get a Whipple 3.3L supercharger( On serious backorder!). This combo will get you to 700HP but my educated guess is you will be spending about 18K when you are done including larger oil coolers, etc. This is with you doing all the wrenching. Second Choice, in December or January we will have our complete 700HP+ GEN7 8.1Liter 600 cubic inch motor available. It will come with all forged internals, larger oil cooler, individual runner injection (Hilborn -Crower 8 stack look!-unbelievable bling bling!) 600cubic inch blueprinted short block, our Version II "Bigpower aluminum cylinder head, run on a Mercury ECM and harness, 89 octane fuel and idle smoothly at 650 rpms. We are projecting the cost of this long block fuel system equipped motor at about 20K with stainless 4 tube headers and us doing all the wrenching, dynoing and warranty,except changeover and install. Third, You can call Jim at Arizona Speed and Marine and he can supply a 572 cubic inch reworked GM crate motor with his fuel injection, ECM and harness (MEFI type), headers for about 29K. In any of these scenarios you can pull your motor, bolt on your accessories and closed cooling system, drop the motors back in and go, except at 700Hp you will need to spend another 8- 12K on an aftermarket drive that could handle this power level.
Mike in any event, don't kid yourself now you are not going to be able to get a 700HP motor or drive in your boat ready to "reliably" run without spending somewhere between $26,000 to $36,000. If your budget can take it you can do it. My other suggestion is build your extra motor up to a 600HP level with Raylar or Arizona Speed and Marine parts and make sure your drive is beefed up accordingly. You should be able to do that for about $16,000 to $20,000 with needed headers and fuel system upgrades.
You wanted the straight "skinney" There it is! As I always say, nothings impossible, it just costs more!! I just know winter comes and goes quickly in the west and you need to set your budget and get going soon if you plan on having the new motor in the boat and running in May or June 2006.
Hope this clears up some confusion and gets all boaters up on what a GEN 7 8.1Lter (496) motor is.
Mike , good luck with your project, have fun and call me if you need any help or advise.
Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

ECeptor
08-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Ray,
I think he wants to keep his 496HO stock as a back up and build up a whole new engine.
So, a Gen 5 or 6 BBC would be a good starting point and likely a cheaper route (due to used parts availability) to his goal.

mike37
08-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Ray,
I think he wants to keep his 496HO stock as a back up and build up a whole new engine.
So, a Gen 5 or 6 BBC would be a good starting point and likely a cheaper route (due to used parts availability) to his goal.
yes that what i want and be able to bolt in with not a lot of mods to mounting

SHAKEN Not Stirred
08-25-2005, 06:51 PM
I don't need flashy just power
Yea!!
I agree.....Flashy is over rated!!!!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1780MVC-012F.JPG
Hehehe!!!
Later,
CJG
:wink:

TPI
08-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Is it safe to say, you will need the following for your motor that can easily be built for under $15K? If so, you might want to raise your budget a bit. These things are not cheap:
Coupler
Bellhousing
Power Steering Pump
Alternator
Sea Pump
Brackets
Exhaust
Motor Mounts
Wiring harness
SS Fasteners
SS Clamps
Hoses
Fuel Pump/Filter
Starter
ect.....................................
Good luck

Jrocket
08-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Is it safe to say, you will need the following for your motor that can easily be built for under $15K? If so, you might want to raise your budget a bit. These things are not cheap:
Coupler
Bellhousing
Power Steering Pump
Alternator
Sea Pump
Brackets
Exhaust
Motor Mounts
Wiring harness
SS Fasteners
SS Clamps
Hoses
Fuel Pump/Filter
Starter
Good luck
People often forget about all the things that you need to go with the new long block.

mike37
08-25-2005, 08:11 PM
Coupler
Bellhousing
Power Steering Pump
Alternator
Sea Pump
Brackets
Exhaust
Motor Mounts
Wiring harness
SS Fasteners
SS Clamps
Hoses
Fuel Pump/Filter
Starter
Good luck
thats why I wanted to start with the 8.1 block
so all that type of stuff can be used on the new motor
just keeping the old long block in tact for backup
thank you all for all the input

LakesOnly
08-25-2005, 09:14 PM
Look no further than your avatar, Mike37. With production cast crank (stroked), iron block and heads, you could get 700HP from a Ford, naturally aspirated. No sweat.
LO
p.s. And to the guy who thinks 15-20K will build an "all out aluminum race motor," well, uh, guess again.

TPI
08-25-2005, 09:27 PM
thats why I wanted to start with the 8.1 block
so all that type of stuff can be used on the new motor
just keeping the old long block in tact for backup
thank you all for all the input
Got it, I assumed you wanted to keep the stock 496 together. My mistake. Good luck with it.

cdog
08-25-2005, 10:16 PM
raylar thanks for the info I didn't know that all 496 had 4bolt main
so now I can start looking at some of the deals on merc 496 blocks
and it seams that the stock crank is good for what I'm looking to do
I would love to buy every thing from raylar but $$$ are hard to come by
so I wanted to see about collecting good used parts
rods
roller rockers
aluminum heads
good cam the some one has bought but didn't use the will work on the 496
EFI yes I want to keep it that way but want options
I'm keeping my stock motor mostly in tact
and building one for fun
blower is an option
I'm looking for input
all of you that have replied
have ideas that sound good
give me a list
not just you need a cam and some good heads and maby a blower
I'm interested
cam what type
rods what type
pistons what type
lets get it going
thank guys mike
I have a eagle 4.25 forged crank for you. Pm me if your intrested.. I'd go bigger CI. I also have a merc engine harness. All your parts will bolt up to and BBC dart block (external parts). I also have a serp belt system for you with eddie marine billet pulleys, the power steering pump and water pump.

mike37
08-26-2005, 05:31 AM
I have a eagle 4.25 forged crank for you. Pm me if your intrested.. I'd go bigger CI. I also have a merc engine harness. All your parts will bolt up to and BBC dart block (external parts). I also have a serp belt system for you with eddie marine billet pulleys, the power steering pump and water pump.
so I can bolt all my externals to a dart block like drive coupler and headers and all the brackets for water pump and alternator and motor mounts will fit

diggler
08-26-2005, 05:50 AM
I have a 555c.i. naturally aspirated via a tunnel ram and twin 750cfm's. I'm pushing 802hp on 91 octane at 6500rpms. I've sunk tens of thousands into this engine, but not for horsepower.... primarily for reliability. (All told, probably around $25K) I couldn't be happier with it!
Guess who built the motor for me? :p

cdog
08-26-2005, 08:31 AM
so I can bolt all my externals to a dart block like drive coupler and headers and all the brackets for water pump and alternator and motor mounts will fit
Yep. PM me your email and i'll send you some pic's. I have a dart big M tall deck 540. I used the serp belt system from a 99 merc. 502 and the bellhousing is off of a 496ho. The wire harness depends on if you go efi like I did. Either way you just cut out or abandon what you don't need. It can be done with decent $$ savings. You just need to know what to buy and where to look. You won't want to use the 496 exhaust. I'd do some used cmi's. The coupler bolts to the flywheel. I have a extra drive coupler too.

Beer-30
08-26-2005, 08:43 AM
Yep. PM me your email and i'll send you some pic's. I have a dart big M tall deck 540. I used the serp belt system from a 99 merc. 502 and the bellhousing is off of a 496ho. The wire harness depends on if you go efi like I did. Either way you just cut out or abandon what you don't need. It can be done with decent $$ savings. You just need to know what to buy and where to look. You won't want to use the 496 exhaust. I'd do some used cmi's. The coupler bolts to the flywheel. I have a extra drive coupler too.
Good advice. The way for him to save some serious $ is to do what you are suggesting and also find someone with a used 500 HP EFI intake. Lots of guys have Whippled these and thus replaced the intake. I have seen them for sale at various locations. Same as AZ S&M.

ECeptor
08-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Coupler
Bellhousing
Power Steering Pump
Alternator
Sea Pump
Brackets
Exhaust
Motor Mounts
Wiring harness
SS Fasteners
SS Clamps
Hoses
Fuel Pump/Filter
Starter
ect
Which of these parts from his Gen 7 496 are compatable with Gen 5 or 6 engines?

cdog
08-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Which of these parts from his Gen 7 496 are compatable with Gen 5 or 6 engines?
Coupler
Bellhousing
Power Steering Pump
Alternator
Sea Pump
Brackets
Exhaust
Motor Mounts
Wiring harness
SS Fasteners
SS Clamps
Hoses
Fuel Pump/Filter
Starter
ect
Just about all of it.....You may have to alter them a little bit. But if you can't do that then you should'nt be building your own engine.

cdog
08-26-2005, 09:40 AM
I would recomend buying a new acc. belt system to dedicate to the new engine. Leave the 496 stuff on the 496 so it's ready if you need it. Should you decide to sell it in the future, it will be worth next to nothing with out all the acc. on it. Secondly 700 hp N/A will be very hard to do with wet exhaust. You will probably have to go with a supercharger or dry exhaust, but then you'll get tickets for noise. Your limited with wet exhaust and cam overlap that causes reversion. I'd do a procharged 540 with efi. You'll make more than 700hp and the efi will tune out any problems and adjust to the conditions.

ECeptor
08-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Mike - this (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76617) is what you need!

mike37
08-26-2005, 07:01 PM
I will reply to all this new info tomorrow cus I been drinking to night
and I'm not to focused right now
thanks every one for the input