PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer advice?

Teabagger
07-24-2005, 03:13 PM
I need some subs and I'm new to marine audio so I have some questions. I'm very familiar with car audio and it's implementation so I think I have a fairly good jump start to it though.
I plan to mount my subs under my rear bench seat. When using this location do people use a free air type sub in this location since it's not air tight or do they go to the trouble of making another enclosure within it to make it a sealed sub or bass reflex sub design?
Do most people get marine grade subs or do they just use car audio subs? If car audio grade, how do they hold up to the marine environment?
Lastly are there any particular models that are known to be the best choices? Thanks in advance to any advice/opinions.

HCS
07-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Subs that have any paper in them at all are a no no.
A good trick is to Scotch Guard your speakers. It works great!

riverbound
07-24-2005, 03:29 PM
You asked what "most of people do". To be honest most of the boats that are out there are NOT done right.
You dont have to use "marine" equipment. Just consider the build of the woofer. MAke sure whatever you buy has a poly cone and a rubber surround.
Also definitely put your subs in an enclosure, Subs always perform better in an enclosure (even free air wooofers).
Being that you are fairly familiar with Car audio take that knowledge and apply it to your boat. just consider the factors that a marine environment is going to add to the equation.