PDA

View Full Version : Brought out of storage....

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-24-2005, 05:45 PM
This boat belongs to my brother-in-law. What do you jet dudes think? And please don't start a ford vs chevy war.... :boxed:
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20006.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20008.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20007.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20009.jpg

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-24-2005, 05:49 PM
a few more...
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20010.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20011.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20013.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20015.jpg

BigBlockBaja
07-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Not starting any wars.. That is awesome..wish i had something that nice.

Wicked Performance Boats
07-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Beautiful boat!! I'd be afraid to put it in the water. or on the trailer behind my vehicle when it wasn't in my sight. Budlight

dmontzsta
07-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I am not a jet boat guy and not going to start a chevy vs. Ford war, but that motor is worth more than the boat to me. That thing is GOLD!

victorfb
07-24-2005, 06:12 PM
wow, that is one nice ride. have to agree with don on this one though, that motor is gold. and cant think of a better way to exhibit it. way cool package man. why in the world has it been in storage?

You Te
07-24-2005, 06:17 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

DeputyDawg
07-24-2005, 06:29 PM
That boat is beautiful! I am not a Ford guy but a Boss 429 is cool no matter how many Bow Ties you own.

Mohavekid
07-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Olds, who cares when they look that good. :chi:
Beautiful boat. :D :D

Cs19
07-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Very nice, will it be at CBBB? For sure contender for best paint or gel.

Blown 472
07-24-2005, 06:33 PM
That is a bitchen boat, there was a hondo hydro for sale a few years ago here that had a rusted up boss in it.

jdf
07-24-2005, 06:39 PM
that is one sweet ride

nitro557
07-24-2005, 06:48 PM
very ,very nice ride

bilgewiper
07-24-2005, 06:59 PM
That boat is BEAUTIFULL!!!!! Back when I was in college 77'-80' a dude there bought a #'s matching Boss Mustang with that engine in it for 10k. (I hope he still has it) We all slobbered on the fenders when he popped the hood. Motor shows better in a boat!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-24-2005, 07:00 PM
That thing is f*****g sick!!!!! How long was it stored? What does it run?? that is one puuuuurdy ass boat.........

essexjet
07-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Damn that thing is nice
Nice paint there Billy B

dossangers
07-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Thats one special ride built for sombody real special his DAD!!and dad was a blue oval diehard!! WOW !! think about it that was the beginning of KRAZY KOLORS! Ive seen pics of that thing and cant wait to see it in person!! bar none SANGER BUBBLE DECKS are the king of style! THAT THING IS ONE BAD MOFO for a jet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BILLY.B
07-24-2005, 10:58 PM
That thing is f*****g sick!!!!! How long was it stored? What does it run?? that is one puuuuurdy ass boat.........
396Thanks for all the nice comments guys. This boat was ordered by my Dad & I back in 1980 . I had purchased the BOSS 429 from Jack Davidson's (owner of Sanger boats) then son-in law Gary who had the engine sitting on the Sangers show room floor. I wanted to do something different then the usual Chevy package which was the most common package available back then. Notice there are no gas fills, I was already tired of doing paint touch up's due to gas over flowing and damaging the paint of other boaters rides so I opted for the puke tank to fill the side tanks. The full rail kit was done by Bernie's Boat Works who at the time was the leader in circle boat and some of the drag boat installations done on the west coast.The Bassett headers had to be custom made to fit as the Boss was so wide a normal set of Ford headers wouldn't work. I ran the boat at an NJBA event at Blue Water back in 1981 and I won the 80-85 bracket running a stellar 84mph :sleeping: . I then had the pump and intake gone thru by Greg Shoemaker and had a hidden nitrous system installed. Never went back to racing it so not sure how fast it would of gone but it was definitly quicker and faster. I sold the boat back in 1986 to a good friend of the family with the stipulation that if he ever went to sell it to let me know first. He used the boat 2 or 3 times and then put it away. Well after almost 20yrs the boat is back in my garage. My Dad loved this boat mainly because we did this project together but also because it was one of my first paint jobs, and it was done in his garage. I really don't have any use for 4 boats and I really don't see anyone stepping up to buy my K boat so I will freshen all the fuel lines, flush the tanks, go thru the carbs, new valve springs, and do some little BS things and go run it again just to see how it does and then probably sell it minus engine. The hull is in excellent condition as is the trailer. Anyone looking for a BADD ASS SANGER SPRINT let me know. :idea: ;) P.S. CS-19, do you remember this boat??? Or were you to young?. Tell your Dad hi for me.

LakesOnly
07-24-2005, 11:59 PM
Da-a-a-a-a-a-amn! :2purples: There's some serious jet boat there! And the motor, well wow, polished right down to the heads and all. Nice use of some vintage compnentry, too. Personally, I like the Dan Olsen scoop (still available).
Yo Billy: do you mean to say that you painted this hull (with matching trailer) twenty years ago? 'cause if you did, well, all I can say is...
http://southwindjetboats.com/forum/upload/html/emoticons/ACF1367[1].gif
I like the paint scheme, like purple, like the boat's name.
Just one last thing, before you yank that motor (and nobody blames you for holding onto it :devil: ), take her out and see what those pump upgrades & nitrous did for the whole package.
LO

LakesOnly
07-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Oh, and one last thing. I am so sick of spilling fuel
onto my gel coat! Nice move rerouting the fill pipes on the side tanks.
LO

shootingstar72683
07-25-2005, 04:00 AM
Oh, and one last thing. I am so sick of spilling fuel
onto my gel coat! Nice move rerouting the fill pipes on the side tanks.
LO
Just a great color sceem. How much will ya be look'n to get for the hull when you do sell? :cool:

Floored
07-25-2005, 04:14 AM
That looks prettier than a chick with 4 tits.

BILLY.B
07-25-2005, 06:23 AM
Yo Billy: do you mean to say that you painted this hull (with matching trailer) twenty years ago? 'cause if you did, well, all I can say is...
I like the paint scheme, like purple, like the boat's name.
LO Yeah Lakes I painted that boat in 1980. I had just finished it in time to take to the World of Wheels custom car show at the L.A. Convention center in Jan of 1981. There were 10 boats there and I was lucky enough to take 1st and I still have that trophy at the shop today.
The name was my chioce. My Dad was my best friend, but like most Father's & Son's every once in awhile we would have our spats ( not very often, my Dad was very intimidating and I knew he'd kick my butt) and he thought I was crazy to spend that kind of money to do the installation and all the plumbing stuff when I could of had Sanger do it for half or even more. He used to take me to the Long Beach boat races and i'd see all the cool stuff and I just had to have it, hence the name "Final Conflict". This was our last family boat before he passed away so the name was very fitting. When Jerry and I got to his house and I stepped out of my truck I told him this was like being in a time warp, and feeling my Dads presence around the boat was very very real.

dmontzsta
07-25-2005, 06:28 AM
Awesome story Billy, thanks for sharing. It is always cool when you have a father and a son who share the same bond.

wsuwrhr
07-25-2005, 07:15 AM
Billy,
Again, all I can say is WOW WOW WOW.
I love seeing your work.
Brian

wsuwrhr
07-25-2005, 07:34 AM
Nice license plate pal. haha
That phone number won't be getting you much business though.
That paint job is just badass.
Brian

roostwear
07-25-2005, 07:35 AM
Ya know Billy, if that shotgun motor needs a new home, I have the perfect place for it :D

Mrs.Racer277
07-25-2005, 07:55 AM
Great story. And beautiful boat. :D

Cs19
07-25-2005, 08:29 AM
BB, nope dont remeber that one, but I remember most of the others. I was only 2 years old in 1980.LOL. We have alot of old school pics from that time, one of these days Ill post a few. Ill see if I have any of that boat on the water.
My Dad was asking about you Friday as we idled by Don Christie's place in Newport, Ill tell him you said hello, Ill print a pic of this boat and see if he remembers it too.
Chris.

Tim_T
07-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Damn that Is a bad ass sprint. I wish mine was that nice. And to think that paint job is 25 years old. That is TLC. great job on that one.
Tim

Roman 1
07-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Anyone looking for a BADD ASS SANGER SPRINT let me know.
You have a price?
R1 :cool:

LVjetboy
07-25-2005, 11:06 PM
"I ran the boat at an NJBA event at Blue Water back in 1981 and I won the 80-85 bracket running a stellar 84mph :sleeping: "
84 mph, about right for a good setup w/375 hp actual (not rated) in a small jet. Boss 429? I hear you can still buy the Boss for about 15k...
jer

lucky
07-26-2005, 05:41 AM
sweeet as usual billy -- will make some one a very nice ride - only hope they apprciate it like the last guy did :) :D

MAXIMUS
07-26-2005, 05:59 AM
Very refreshing to look at! A very cool vintage hot rod! Even for a Ferd! :D

Back To Havasu
07-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Please let me know when you are ready to sell it. It would look great behind my 65 Chevelle SS. Mike

SummerObsession
07-26-2005, 10:59 AM
SWEET boat!
In fact, just what I am looking for!
I'm a Chevy guy, with two exceptions: Mopar Hemi (not the new POS either :D) , and the BOSS 429!!
If you want to sell, PM me with the info.

BILLY.B
07-26-2005, 07:35 PM
You have a price?
R1 :cool:The scary thing about this whole thing is that I haven't thought about a price. I didn't think very many people would of been interested in an 18ft jet now-a-days seeing as all I seem to see at the river or lakes are big boats (30-40ft). I plan on doing a whole clean up and polish job on the boat and trailer. Dismounting the wheels and getting them re-polished, doing the same with the pump and touching up the paint and pinstriping. The interior is in excellent shape and so is the carpet. I couldn't even go by the NADA guide as this boat looks pretty much new and has very little time on it, even from when my family first owned it. Now if I was to ask top dollar you can bet i'd make sure everything was as nice as I could possibly make it. Or i'd sell it like it is minus engine :idea: . I doubt many people would pay for the complete package would they?????.

Kindsvater Flat
07-26-2005, 07:41 PM
I could see the ad now Billy.
Sanger Jet
35k Complete or 5k minus motor.
I got an idea. Sell it to Mouzer and buy it back at half price. Keep the motor then sell the hull. You would be making some good money then. :D

BILLY.B
07-26-2005, 08:08 PM
I could see the ad now Billy.
Sanger Jet
35k Complete or 5k minus motor.
I got an idea. Sell it to Mouzer and buy it back at half price. Keep the motor then sell the hull. You would be making some good money then. :DWay to nice for Mouzer :D . He'd just screw it up by putting a Chevy in it, painting the hull yellow after he made it a bow rider so his family would get off his ASS about having a boat that they can ride in.

mouzer
07-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Actually she loves the colors! and would never let me touch it,she wont let me touch the Yukon!i just bought! let me know Billy how much less motor! if its set up for ford than a ford goes back in it! :hammerhea

WILDERTHANU
07-26-2005, 08:48 PM
let me know Billy how much less motor! if its set up for ford than a ford goes back in it! :hammerhea
Why so you can just flip it, and make a buck off Billy. By the way Mr. B. I love the boat and the history behind it, I can relate to the father son thing big time.... KEEP IT!! Give it to Conner for his first boat in a couple years, some of them young chicks still dig the GOOD boats !!!

SoCalKev
07-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Why so you can just flip it, and make a buck off Billy. By the way Mr. B. I love the boat and the history behind it, I can relate to the father son thing big time.... KEEP IT!! Give it to Conner for his first boat in a couple years, some of them young chicks still dig the GOOD boats !!!
:werd:

wsuwrhr
07-26-2005, 09:00 PM
By the way Mr. B. I love the boat and the history behind it, I can relate to the father son thing big time.... KEEP IT!! Give it to Conner for his first boat in a couple years, some of them young chicks still dig the GOOD boats !!!
I still think this is the best deal, why would you want to part with something like that?
I don't know if I could do it.
Maybe cause it's not a v-drive? I don't know.
Handing your son one of your first paint jobs that got you started. Connor would like to shoe Grandpa and the old mans boat wouldn't he? I wish my family had heirlooms to hand down like that.
Too many things with this boat.
Am I off my rocker?
Brian

mouzer
07-26-2005, 09:02 PM
You cant flip a boat unless the price is to low! i would excpect Billy will be asking top dollar because of the history behind it!and the condition its in, i would!i think it would be awsome if Billy did hang on to it!and you dont now what i would do with it :eek: you know i might even use it :hammer2:

Cs19
07-26-2005, 09:07 PM
I agree, if theres any possible way to keep it, keep it.Worst case scenario,sell it to someone in the "family".
There is a boat thats been in my family that will always remain in the family, too many memories in that one to let it go.

dmontzsta
07-26-2005, 09:10 PM
I think Wilder has a bitchen idea...That would be a PIMP first boat and LOTS of history.

disco_charger
07-26-2005, 09:12 PM
It really is an amazing ride. Nicest jet boat I've seen on here in a while. It'll sell in a heartbeat. I love the boats with a story. :cool:

XClutchboy725
07-27-2005, 06:08 AM
That boat is absolutely beautiful! Like Disco, you gotta love the story....

Sleek-Jet
07-27-2005, 06:56 AM
I still think this is the best deal, why would you want to part with something like that?
I don't know if I could do it.
Maybe cause it's not a v-drive? I don't know.
Handing your son one of your first paint jobs that got you started. Connor would like to shoe Grandpa and the old mans boat wouldn't he? I wish my family had heirlooms to hand down like that.
Too many things with this boat.
Am I off my rocker?
Brian
No, I agree. I couldn't sell a piece of family history like that.

LakesOnly
07-27-2005, 08:11 AM
KEEP IT!! Give it to Conner for his first boat in a couple years, some of them young chicks still dig the GOOD boats !!!
No-o-o-o- sshhit. :)
BillyB, if you want to keep the hemi AND give a turnkey Sanger jet to your son (what a great starter boat), just put an iron 385-series in it that will push that boat as good today as the hemi did back in the day. Can do it with stock block, heads & crank easily enough...just rub on those parts a bit and add a few aftermarket perf parts. Would run forever and could be reverted back to hemi in 30 minutes. I'll be happy to consult on the motor build and even supply you with most the oem parts for damn near cost...if this will help make it happen. The catch? Nothing really, maybe just to take it into consideration should I ever need a paint job, maybe (no, no, no, I don't need a paint job...I'm just sayin'...).
Anyone else got something they can contribute? An aluminum intake gathering dust? Spare set of headers laying around? LET'S BUILD THE KID A BOAT, c'mon.
LO

mouzer
07-27-2005, 09:03 AM
Billy,hang on to it, pass it down. when your a older fart than you are now to have one of your first paint jobs still in the family,how awsome would that be!and this comeing from MoUzEr :rolleyes:

DeputyDawg
07-27-2005, 09:15 AM
I just can't quit looking at that boat!

b's sanger
07-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Had to pipe in late after seeing the boat today. Good call again, keep it and you'll have Conner by the B@#ls.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-28-2005, 04:50 PM
To add a compliment.
No anti-Ford words from this Chevy guy. VERY sweet machine. Gorgeous. Not enough goods words to describe that boat, and it hauls the mail too (old term for "fast"). :cool:

LVjetboy
07-30-2005, 11:33 PM
I don't care Ford or Chevy. A 375 hp OMG Boss 429 may mean nothing to a v or jet or car buyer for that matter, except in nostalgic history points. If someone wants the allure of a classic engine or is fascinated by history and original equipment they'll pay no matter. Sometimes pay big. Your profit.
If instead someone want's the latest performance, big power and doesn't care about names, they'll pay too. Sometimes pay big. Others profit.
One buyers motivation doesn't mean another. Your jet looks very clean. NICE!
Yet is a typical jet or even v-drive buyer willing to pay for the nostalgic value (or mystery) of that Boss 429? My jet's worth a bit more than it would sell for. Ok way more. And my engine cost a bit more than your Boss 429. Yet I'd sink both jet and engine before I'd sell my jet boat for less. So excuse me if I sound a bit irreverent towards your classic and maybe implied priceless Boss 429.
I'm sorry, just my usual controversial post. I say what I think.
jer

wsuwrhr
07-31-2005, 06:33 AM
Camoooonnnnnnn Jer..
Brian

b's sanger
07-31-2005, 10:52 AM
I don't care Ford or Chevy. A 375 hp OMG Boss 429 may mean nothing to a v or jet or car buyer for that matter, except in nostalgic history points. If someone wants the allure of a classic engine or is fascinated by history and original equipment they'll pay no matter. Sometimes pay big. Your profit.
If instead someone want's the latest performance, big power and doesn't care about names, they'll pay too. Sometimes pay big. Others profit.
Yet is a typical jet or even v-drive buyer willing to pay for the nostalgic value (or mystery) of that Boss 429? My jet's worth a bit more than it would sell for. Ok way more. And my engine cost a bit more than your Boss 429. Yet I'd sink both jet and engine before I'd sell my jet boat for less. So excuse me if I sound a bit irreverent towards your classic and maybe implied priceless Boss 429.
jer
So negative, someone needs a hug.

dmontzsta
07-31-2005, 12:58 PM
jer
There is more to it than just the STOCK numbers. The block is SOLID 4 bolt main. You can make GOBS of power with that block.
Hemi heads which makes it even more rare, this block was originally designed for NASCAR racing. If I remember correctly this block is "de-tuned" in order to meet a certain HP number. There wasnt alot of big blocks putting down 375hp and 450tq stock. This is also the only 385 block with screw in freeze plugs.
This things also looks BAD ASS! Alot more attractive than other big blocks.

Kindsvater Flat
07-31-2005, 04:12 PM
What about a blown one Jer?
http://www.schoutenranch.com/cfwfd05/images/DSCF2893.jpg

roostwear
07-31-2005, 04:28 PM
I need it to restore my roadster.
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwbbstang/phr2.jpg

07-31-2005, 05:29 PM
The boat is f*ckin' beautiful and the engine is over the top....you could stick that engine in a canoe and it'd be the coolest thing on the water. :D

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
07-31-2005, 05:44 PM
The boat is f*ckin' beautiful and the engine is over the top....you could stick that engine in a canoe and it'd be the coolest thing on the water. :D
you see folks...058 loves fords,his point is whether its in a boat,canoe or a tractor he loves them.and bob we love you! :D

07-31-2005, 05:51 PM
you see folks...058 loves fords,his point is whether its in a boat,canoe or a tractor he loves them.and bob we love you! :D
Awwwe shucks Richie....there ya go talkin' sweet again. Better be careful or your g/f will be gettin all jealous. :D :D

waxer
07-31-2005, 07:02 PM
What an awesome boat & better story.... If you sell the boat / motor whatever you'll have a giid head start on a college fund for your son.
But the boat is priceless, I would give anything to have something as so nice with so much lineage returned to the family & passed down.
I vote with keeping the boat & creating an heirloom.
jus my 02,
Waxer, father trying to cope with 2 daughters college education......

Squirtin Thunder
08-12-2005, 11:30 PM
Jerry after our talk I just had to find it.
This year of Sanger Custom Sprint has the stepped bottom, they don't turn as well as the double concaved ones do.
That is the best looking boat I have seen, You Billy did an absolutly fabulous job , I have a hard time believing it was your first one !!!
Thank you
Jim
This boat belongs to my brother-in-law. What do you jet dudes think? And please don't start a ford vs chevy war.... :boxed:
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20006.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20008.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20007.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20009.jpg

Norseman
08-13-2005, 05:24 AM
Billy;
I can't believe that boat was painted that long ago!! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!
You better save that one, you'll miss it if you sell it!!!!!
Bob

steve d
08-13-2005, 08:02 AM
Yeah Lakes I painted that boat in 1980. I had just finished it in time to take to the World of Wheels custom car show at the L.A. Convention center in Jan of 1981. There were 10 boats there and I was lucky enough to take 1st and I still have that trophy at the shop today.
The name was my chioce. My Dad was my best friend, but like most Father's & Son's every once in awhile we would have our spats ( not very often, my Dad was very intimidating and I knew he'd kick my butt) and he thought I was crazy to spend that kind of money to do the installation and all the plumbing stuff when I could of had Sanger do it for half or even more. He used to take me to the Long Beach boat races and i'd see all the cool stuff and I just had to have it, hence the name "Final Conflict". This was our last family boat before he passed away so the name was very fitting. When Jerry and I got to his house and I stepped out of my truck I told him this was like being in a time warp, and feeling my Dads presence around the boat was very very real.
Good story Billy. Still have the 3/4 Midget my Dad and I built back in the 70's---Probably not worth much but the MEMORIES.........PRICELESS----STEVE

Heatseeker
08-13-2005, 08:11 AM
BILLY.B, that thing is bad a$$! Hard to imagine that that was your first paint job! I guess when you're good, you're good!!!
I say keep that baby close to home. Pass it down through the family, after all, it's a priceless heirloom!

BILLY.B
08-14-2005, 09:05 AM
I don't care Ford or Chevy. A 375 hp OMG Boss 429 may mean nothing to a v or jet or car buyer for that matter, except in nostalgic history points. So excuse me if I sound a bit irreverent towards your classic and maybe implied priceless Boss 429.
jerWell i'll say what I think also...I never said the "Boss 429" was priceless, just the whole combination was different then the usual jet boat, and the fact that it was done in 1980 and would still hold it's own today should say something. Now if I wanted to be the norm I guess I could of put a Chevy in it so I could be like everyone else, but I like to stand on my own. And anytime you want to go to a boat show let me know.

Squirtin Thunder
08-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Billy,
I like all boat V-drive or Jet or I/O !!!
But in that combo it is the best of both worlds.
It is a Sanger Sprint and it is a Big Bad Ford !!!That is a very nice interpratation of both.
Jer,
The actual Boss engine is very rare. And how many have you seen in boats ???
Thank you Billy for building such a nice boat !!!

BILLY.B
08-14-2005, 11:29 AM
Billy,
I like all boat V-drive or Jet or I/O !!!
But in that combo it is the best of both worlds.
It is a Sanger Sprint and it is a Big Bad Ford !!!That is a very nice interpratation of both.
Jer,
The actual Boss engine is very rare. And how many have you seen in boats ???
Thank you Billy for building such a nice boat !!!Thanks for the compliments. Sorry to hear about your engine at the CBBB outting. :frown:

FILUCKY
08-14-2005, 03:08 PM
I find it funny that the Boss 429 keeps being refured to as 375 hp. when it is obvious that this motor is not stock, and yes they were very detuned from the factory at that number. I bet if it were a 454 with a TR every chev guy would swear it was 500+hp. Just couldn't help but think that was a little funny. But then again i do run Fords!

steelcomp
08-14-2005, 04:04 PM
LV Jetboy Quote:And my engine cost a bit more than your Boss 429.
Maybe if you're comparing new price for new price, but not today.
I'd like to see you get for your motor what this 429 could bring. In fact, I doubt you have as much $ in you motor as what this 429 could sell for. Hell, I'd like to see you get as much for your whole boat! The day you paid for your motor, you lost money. Compared to what this motor cost new, it's value has skyrocketed, and will only continue to do so. Like 058 said, put it in a canoe, and it's still got the same appeal. Put your motor in a canoe and it's just another big block Chevy. It's too bad you can't just appreciate it and leave it at that, instead of, again, finding SOME way to throw some kind of negative spin on it, and direct the attention back toward yourself. :notam:
BTW...these motor's had WAY more than 375 hp. They were rated at that, at a given rpm for insurance reasons, I believe, but put it on a dyno, turn it 6500 and see what you get. Same with the Boss 302.
So excuse me if I sound a bit irreverent towards your classic and maybe implied priceless Boss 429. You don't sound irreverent, you sound jealous as hell. Your boat will never go up in value. You've posted time and again how much you have "invested" in your boat and motor, only to have about, what, maybe $15K you could get back? Hell, if I had your money, I'd burn mine! Suck it up, Jer. Some of us don't think dollars and cents when it comes to our boats, and that boat has more value and class because of what it is, not what it can do, than most boats ever will.
Just MY opinion.

wsuwrhr
08-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Compared to what this motor cost new, it's value has skyrocketed, and will only continue to do so. Like 058 said, put it in a canoe, and it's still got the same appeal. Put your motor in a canoe and it's just another big block Chevy. It's too bad you can't just appreciate it and leave it at that, instead of, again, finding SOME way to throw some kind of negative spin on it, and direct the attention back toward yourself. :notam:
You don't sound irreverant, you sound jealous as hell. Your boat will never go up in value. Some of us don't think dollars and cents when it comes to our boats, and that boat has more value and class because of what it is, not what it can do, than most boats ever will.
Just MY opinion.
Word, my sentiments exactly.
As a diehard Mopar fan, I can still appreciate a motor such as the 429.
Sweet looking boat, pictures do nothing for it when you are looking at that motor close up, paint is beautiful, even more so when you know how long it has been since it saw a spray guy.
Ass kissing aside, an arist is an artist.
Props to you Bling Bling.
Brian

Sleek26
08-14-2005, 07:59 PM
I just can't quit looking at that boat!
Me too. The second pic is now my desktop.

LVjetboy
08-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Billy, I've no doubt a jet with a 429 is one-of-a-kind, not to mention a jet w/flawless paint and a rich history. If you lined up your jet and mine at a boat show, you'd no doubt win. My gel looks like crap compared to your paint...and mine's 10 years younger! That plus my engine has zero nostalgic value.
So my responses to Steel others about the 429 doesn't mean I don't appreciate how cool your jet is.
jer

Blown 472
08-15-2005, 12:31 AM
Jer, that motta is worth more then your whole boat with some stupid ****ing chivvy pos in it, get a ****ing clue already.

LVjetboy
08-15-2005, 12:45 AM
"I find it funny that the Boss 429 keeps being refured to as 375 hp. when it is obvious that this motor is not stock, and yes they were very detuned from the factory at that number."
Detuned or not and mfg/insurance conspiracy theories aside...running 84 mph (as Billy mentioned) in a small performance hull with a well setup pump and 375 (true) hp is not unrealistic. I ran 83.6 mph with 340 true hp (5k on Berkeley B). If the tuned Boss 429's rated hp was a bit over 400 hp so what? True hp for most conditions would still be high 300's and performance could be low to mid 80's for a small well-tuned jet...as Billy reported.
"I bet if it were a 454 with a TR every chev guy would swear it was 500+hp. Just couldn't help but think that was a little funny. But then again i do run Fords!"
Only the chevy guys/w no clue. There's always a few from either camp who claim everything's 500 hp. Their buddy runs 500 hp in his Chevy/Ford/etc 'cause they told them so. Never mind no dyno test or real proof. And nostalgic mystery grows power. BTW, I've also run (and rebuilt!) Fords. I have no Ford or Chevy allegiance.
jer

LVjetboy
08-15-2005, 01:02 AM
"Jer, that motta is worth more then your whole boat with some stupid ****ing chivvy pos in it, get a ****ing clue already."
Maybe you need a clue. Some like you apparantly worship engine manufacturer or value nostalgia/history over performance. No big deal. Worth is relative to each his own. A 1913 Liberty Head “V” nickel recently sold for $3 million. Would you buy that? To me, a nickel's worth 5 cents. And to me, performance is worth more than nostalgia although I appreciate both to a different degree.
jer

LVjetboy
08-15-2005, 01:36 AM
Steel posted, "Maybe if you're comparing new price for new price, but not today."
I was comparing the current market price for a Boss 429 in excellent condition to the recent purchase price of my engine. So yes, I was comparing today prices. No doubt my engine's resale value took a hit the moment I bought it. None of that legend status to artificially inflate value. But with twice the power of a Boss 429? Who freakin' cares?
Steel posted, "In fact, I doubt you have as much $ in you motor as what this 429 could sell for."
In fact I do. Do YOU know what a Boss 429 sells for? Check your facts. I posted $15k and that's no low-ball.
Steel posted, "BTW...these motor's had WAY more than 375 hp. They were rated at that, at a given rpm for insurance reasons, I believe, but put it on a dyno, turn it 6500 and see what you get."
Since you pretend the expert, why don't you tell me how much WAY more? Let's talk numbers and test results not legends and wishful thinking flavored by times gone by. After that tell me what impeller cut you'd run to match peak power at 6500 rpm.
Steel posted, "You don't sound irreverent, you sound jealous as hell."
Your spin. Trust me, I'm not jealous whether you'd like to think it or not. I just don't agree on the value some place on legend and rarity. To me that doesn't make sense. To others it does. To each his own.
jer

Squirtin Thunder
08-15-2005, 03:43 AM
Thanks for the compliments. Sorry to hear about your engine at the CBBB outting. :frown:
Been hangin with Jerry a bit and he brought this boat up to me when he saw mine.
Thanks !!! It will be up and runnin in two weeks !!!

steelcomp
08-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Steel posted, "Maybe if you're comparing new price for new price, but not today."
I was comparing the current market price for a Boss 429 in excellent condition to the recent purchase price of my engine. So yes, I was comparing today prices. No doubt my engine's resale value took a hit the moment I bought it. None of that legend status to artificially inflate value. But with twice the power of a Boss 429? Who freakin' cares?
Steel posted, "In fact, I doubt you have as much $ in you motor as what this 429 could sell for."
In fact I do. Do YOU know what a Boss 429 sells for? Check your facts. I posted $15k and that's no low-ball.
Steel posted, "BTW...these motor's had WAY more than 375 hp. They were rated at that, at a given rpm for insurance reasons, I believe, but put it on a dyno, turn it 6500 and see what you get."
Since you pretend the expert, why don't you tell me how much WAY more? Let's talk numbers and test results not legends and wishful thinking flavored by times gone by. After that tell me what impeller cut you'd run to match peak power at 6500 rpm.
Steel posted, "You don't sound irreverent, you sound jealous as hell."
Your spin. Trust me, I'm not jealous whether you'd like to think it or not. I just don't agree on the value some place on legend and rarity. To me that doesn't make sense. To others it does. To each his own.
jer
Jer, all I can say to that post is you don't have the first clue about the Boss 429, and I'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you. Google it some time, or google a company called EnDyn. I do know that the "375" hp version was a big disappointment to so many that they changed the hydraulic cam to a solid, and that although it was still rated at 375, it made well over 400 HP. This was still in stock, production trim, as delivered in the 70 'Stang.
In fact I do. Do YOU know what a Boss 429 sells for? Check your facts. I posted $15k and that's no low-ball
Where did you get that figure? Where are your facts? How much more do you have in your engine, Jer? For what...750, maybe 800 hp??? BFD. Do you have an original GM piece in your motor? You want to talk power for $$, give me what you spent on your motor, and let me put it into that 429. I really don't know the point you were trying to make by comparing your peenchy Chevy motor with the 429. There's no comparison, except for you trying to justify spending what you did for what you got, or just trying to rain on someone elses parade. :cry:

Floored
08-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Always thought Ford lost their minds to put that engine in the Mustang and then only a single exhaust. :hammerhea First thing friends did was go straight to muffler shop.

LVjetboy
08-15-2005, 10:10 PM
"Jer, all I can say to that post is you don't have the first clue about the Boss 429, and I'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you...where are your facts?"
You say I have no clue, back that up Steel or s.t.f.up.
If you're referring to my $15k for a Boss 429 engine post, I've seen estimates in 12-18k range from several Ford enthusiasts and different sources. Sure they could all be wrong. "Facts" mean little compared to nostalgic value since the engine's rare and usually sold in a car for big $$$. Value becomes what the next buyer's willing to pay. The mystery of a rare engine enhances the perceived value of the car and the cars history enhances the value of the engine. Rarety feeds the fire. Combined with a broad market, price goes through the roof! Too bad those numbers don't carry over to boats. Small jets, v-drives, etc. are a limited market and in my opinion in many cases an undervalued market.
But since you called me out, instead of trying to dismiss my opinion with a put-down, why don't you show me your "facts" proving a stock Boss engine sells for more than 15k? Come to think of it, you don't have a clue what my engine cost yet you claim you have no doubt the Boss is worth more...
Who's the one with no clue?
If instead you're referring to my comments about Boss 429 rated power, maybe you should re-read my post. My point in that post: An engine delivering 375 hp to the impeller can run 84 mph in a well-tuned small (18') jet...I back that up with the fact mine ran 84 mph with 30 less hp.
Does that prove rated or actual power? Of course not. It's just a reality check. There's weight, setup and hull design among other things yet in the end common trends serve as a reality check for similar size, power and drive. I'd guess Billy raced a reasonably well-setup jet or at least was headed that direction when he recorded 84 mph with that Boss 429. Ballpark numbers to challenge the myths. I was just pointing out you don't need 500 or even 450 hp to run 84 mph in a well-setup small jet.
I also understand rated power will always be higher than delivered unless Billy B only ran cold days at sea level with dry air with no drive train losses. Unlikely. Or the rating bogus. And who else but Billy knows how stock his engine was when he raced it. I don't doubt the Boss was under-rated, especially with it's history and intended application. Yet you say I have no clue?
"Do you have an original GM piece in your motor?"
I'm thinking...no. So what, in my opinion this discussion has nothing to do with Ford vs Chevy or GM vs Toyota.
"You want to talk power for $$, give me what you spent on your motor, and let me put it into that 429."
Well, if you spent 15k on say a 450 hp (honestly rated?) Boss 429 then spent the money to bump that another 300 hp to 750 (honestly rated) hp...you'd have my engine. For maybe the same price? Don't know. Your resale value maybe more considering nostalgia, rarity and all. But your potential for even higher hp and performance in the future would be less...cuin and all. In fact, you may need a blower and high octane to do what my engine does with dock gas and no blower loss.
"I really don't know the point you were trying to make by comparing your peenchy Chevy motor with the 429. There's no comparison, except for you trying to justify spending what you did for what you got"
I've no need to justify. Again...your spin. When I posted to this thread, most had already just said wow! Some commented on worth or value. Some later posted on performance. As I said, I think small high performance boats are an under-valued market. I compared my jet and engine power as an example. If you buy nostalgia = value, then that Boss 429's worth more alone to a broader (car) market than as installed to the jet/v-drive market.
jer

Squirtin Thunder
08-16-2005, 06:39 PM
This boat would have won Best in show at CBBB !!!

Squirtin Thunder
08-16-2005, 06:40 PM
a few more...
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20010.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20011.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20013.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Billys%20Jet%20015.jpg
And this Engine would of had my Vote for Sickest Engine !!!

FILUCKY
08-20-2005, 06:35 PM
BOSS 429 just sold on a BBF forum for 12k not rebuilt or even put together all parts just sitting on garage floor. 84 MPH in this boat isn't going to happen with 375 hp. Boat is a fully loaded heavy v-bottom not a '16 tunnel. And i mean no disrespect to the owner of boat in anyway but that is i nice lake boat not a race boat so the hp has got be a little more then 375. So com'n lets give the little 429 some credit. And just for the record i'd own this boat in a heartbeat!

LVjetboy
08-21-2005, 12:53 AM
Filucky, I gave the little 429 some credit. I just put that credit in perspective instead of in legend.
If that Boss delivered 375 to the impeller at 84 mph when BillyB raced it, it's "true" rated power may've been in the 400-450 hp range. Who knows? 450 would surprise me, but 400+ wouldn't. As usual, I'm contrasting the difference between rated and actual power...something few seem to appreciate or acknowledge here.
My LS6 454 rated over 400 hp, but with only 28 advance, 9.5:1, lake conditions and my setup, I saw 340 hp to the impeller...not 400 hp...not even 375. And power delivered is what it's all about.
With 340 hp to the impeller I ran 83.6 mph. That's in an 18.6' (usually quoted 19') PC mod-v tunnel with stereo and heavy driver. Not a light lay-up 16' race tunnel with mini-me driving. Do you know BillyB's setup when he raced it at 84 mph? Did he race w/full interior and stereo or fully-loaded as you posted?
Here's some well-tuned 18' jets...
Rat Raft
'78 Youngblood Gullwing
86.5@5200 Berk B = 380 hp
BN - Brian Neal
Southwind semi-v
82@5000 Berk B- = (est) 320 hp
92@5600 Berk B- = (est) 450 hp
PCRat - Brian
PlaceCraft 19' tunnel
95.4@5700 Berk B/C = 456 hp
Notice how speeds in the 80's run with less than 400 actual (not rated) hp. And my data on these guys old. They probably run faster now. Still, there seems to be a trend in speed vs power even with non-similar hulls well over 16'
jer

dmontzsta
08-21-2005, 06:09 AM
OMG some people take themselves way to serious. :argue: :hammerhea

Blown 472
08-21-2005, 06:32 AM
OMG some people take themselves way to serious. :argue: :hammerhea
Ya think, wait till he breaks out the charts and graphs and shit. Jer you really need to get laid, have you tried whacking off??

08-21-2005, 06:44 AM
LVjetboy has this uncontrollable desire to piss in anyone's cornflakes when they offer up something different and nice. :sleeping:

Squirtcha?
08-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Thank god I had the omlette.
I appreciate the boat/engine for what it is. In my mind it's a classic, and definitely a rarity.
I do get Jer's point about the legendary engines though. Even a stock Dodge Hemi in all it's glory, pales in comparison to some of the most modest of builds today (from a horsepower aspect anyway).
Be that as it may............it's a great boat, beautiful paint, rare engine, and in perfect condition.
I like it lots!

FILUCKY
08-21-2005, 12:35 PM
not trying to start anything but were do you lose 10% or so of a motors hp. from the crank to the pump? I know you lose about 15%-20% in a car running through a tranny and rearend but lossing 10% in a 7" driveline? And as far as running 95 mph with 450 hp. you have got to tell us your secret because their is alot of us that would love to run with those #'s, would have saved me alot of money and pretty much every one i know for that matter. Not trying to start a online battle here, but those numbers? I know there is alot of boats outhere that run a soilid 400-500hp that ain't nowhere near 95mph. And that includes light tunnels and TX-19's with good setups.

dmontzsta
08-21-2005, 02:18 PM
I mean...we all know you can build a BBC for cheap and make power, nobody wants to argue that, but it still will not be as cool or collective as this motor, not in a million years. Truth is mostly every boat on the water has a Chevy, so its just not as cool. :idea:

wsuwrhr
08-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Truth is mostly every boat on the water has a Chevy, so its just not as cool. :idea:
And the guys who do run something different get nothing but a bunch of shit from everyone for it :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: .
haha
Brian

wsuwrhr
08-21-2005, 03:15 PM
I do get Jer's point about the legendary engines though. Even a stock Dodge Hemi in all it's glory, pales in comparison to some of the most modest of builds today (from a horsepower aspect anyway).
The stock Dodge Hemi, in all it's glory, in it's heyday, was an overweight peice of shit IMHO.
But lucky it was built, cause the little guys in garages sure figured out it was something special.
I don't know much about Ford's hemi, but I always wondered why it didn't gain as much notoriety. Low production numbers, poor design?
I don't know the reason, but I always liked the looks of the Hemi's.
Brian

08-21-2005, 04:07 PM
The stock Dodge Hemi, in all it's glory, in it's heyday, was an overweight peice of shit IMHO.
But lucky it was built, cause the little guys in garages sure figured out it was something special.
I don't know much about Ford's hemi, but I always wondered why it didn't gain as much notoriety. Low production numbers, poor design?
I don't know the reason, but I always liked the looks of the Hemi's.
BrianThe Ford Hemi, both cammer and Boss were very limited produced engines. They were not production engines. Only 312 Cammers were built as complete engines and Boss engines were less than 2500 produced from the figures I've heard but I could be wrong. This is not including engines built from parts by outside shops. The main thing thats always pissed me off with Fords is they do not care about the "little guy" and would not produce parts and engines for the masses. Thats why Chevy has such a great following, they support anyone who wants to race a Chevy. Ford could not care less about the little guy. They only supplied parts and engines to people that had a "name" and could win. The cammer never made it big in drag racing due to its timing chains and the time it took for between round tear-downs. Blocks were the weak point when used with nitro, the block would crack between the main and cam journals and usually spilled its guts after several passes. Since Ford did not care for drag racing and usually avoided it because it didn't get the exposure that NASCAR got they made no attempt to correct the problem which could have been a very easy fix for them.

wsuwrhr
08-22-2005, 07:18 AM
The Ford Hemi, both cammer and Boss were very limited produced engines. They were not production engines. Only 312 Cammers were built as complete engines and Boss engines were less than 2500 produced from the figures I've heard but I could be wrong. This is not including engines built from parts by outside shops. The main thing thats always pissed me off with Fords is they do not care about the "little guy" and would not produce parts and engines for the masses. Thats why Chevy has such a great following, they support anyone who wants to race a Chevy. Ford could not care less about the little guy. They only supplied parts and engines to people that had a "name" and could win. The cammer never made it big in drag racing due to its timing chains and the time it took for between round tear-downs. Blocks were the weak point when used with nitro, the block would crack between the main and cam journals and usually spilled its guts after several passes. Since Ford did not care for drag racing and usually avoided it because it didn't get the exposure that NASCAR got they made no attempt to correct the problem which could have been a very easy fix for them.
Cool deal 058, thanks for the post. I never knew the reasons, and not being a Ford nut, I had no idea. Bummer deal on Ford, too bad they didn't take it farther.
Brian

steelcomp
08-22-2005, 10:05 AM
General Motors didn't care any more about the little guy than Ford did. You gotta remember that Ford has always been the underdog in comparison with GM. Ford's racing program, when they stayed in it, was never less than the MOST serious, and any time they made the effort, they proved it. Throughout the years, the biggest innovations in racing came from Ford, and at the upper most levels, most guys that wnated to win, went with Ford. In Europe, Ford completely dominated. I would bet there isn't a company out there that has spent more money in racing, and I would also bet that could be quantifird. The problem for the "little guy" was in the performance aftermarket. Ford never stayed in any one racing program long enough for the aftermarket to catch up. That's where the difference is. You couldn't buy anything hot rod wise for anything but the 289, and maybe a few parts for the 390/427. Factory race parts weren't any easier to get from GM than Ford, in fact, Ford had more hard core race parts available to the general public over a longer period than GM did through the 60's and early 70's, untill they dropped out of racing in 1970. (Hell, for a while, the only thing you COULD get hot rod parts for was a Flat Head!) GM never had anything close to the Cammer or the Boss. Without the performance aftermarket doing the R&D and manufacturing of more race parts, no performance program goes anywhere for the little guy, weather GM, Ford, Chrysler, or anyone else. I'll also tell you this, regarding the performance aftermarket. If it wasn't for Ford re-introducing the Mustang with it's 5.0 back in the early 80's the performance aftermarket wouldn't be what it is today. GM couldn't get it done, and the other manufacturers were way behind on anything "performance". The Camaro and Firebird were the biggest POS, and Fords didn't have anything any better. That stupid Mustang II was an insult to Ford lovers although it did represent Ford's desire to "re-capture" the Mustang's heritage. The performance aftermarket was gasping for breath, and Ford recognized a need, and filled it. The rest is history. GM couldn't compete with the Camaro and Firebird becaues they weren't loyal to their customers and took both those cars in a direction away from their traditional styling, ultimately having to scrap both cars due to lack of sales. Ford has stayed loyal to their customers (the little guy) in preserving the Mustang's intended role and styling, and have been very successful. The caviot is, that with the re-introduction and continued improvement of the Mustang, and the Mustang alone, (they started the renewed interest... everyone else jumped on that band wagon) the american love affair with cars and performance is as strong as ever, and the performance aftermarket is stronger than it has ever been. I think Ford is the ONLY manufacturer that truely cares about the little guy.
But I could be wrong. :D
Hey Jer, I was talking to a friend who said a complete, still original, Boss 429 was sold at an auction for 31K. I'm trying to find out details.
As far as the performance of the Sanger jet hulls, they were never very good performance wise. Many tried to get them to perform, some sort of successful, but few. It's just not in the design. Not to take anything away from Bling's boat...there aren't too many more beautiful boats, with the ESTEEM of having that kind of power plant. It's a beautiful piece, but I know that there's lost HP in the bottom of that boat. How much, I don't know. Maybe Jer could post up a chart?? :hammerhea

wsuwrhr
08-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Hey Jer, I was talking to a friend who said a complete, still original, Boss 429 was sold at an auction for 31K. I'm trying to find out details.
I think 25k for that motor, in its very condition, would sell in a heartbeat of a Chevy
Brian

FILUCKY
08-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Hey Steelcomp tha was a great post. I thought i would add that since the mid-80's ford as made avalible most of their prostock BBF heads, blocks and intakes to the general public. In building both of my BBF race motors one being a A460 headed motor and my full race engine being a C460 headed motor i honestly don't think i could have built the same HP in a chev for the same money. And I have been treated great buy the big time Ford prostock guys that have been a great help to me build my BBF's, Its too bad more more guys don't look into BBF's when building big Hp. motors.

Floored
08-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Sometimes it isn't just about FAST, but stylin. I live at the river and all I see is BBC,BBF,Olds 455's. They are OK, but show me a detailed Hemi or RB, 427 side oiler, Boss motor, Nailhead and I will look twice or more. Sometimes its nice to be different,not to prove a speed point, just to break out of the cookie cutter mold, stand out. With a boat like that Sanger old guys will walk up and tell you stories and kid will say" Holy shit, what is that". I, personally, wouldn't part with it for the world, or part it out. Old school is Cool!!! :D

steelcomp
08-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Sometimes it isn't just about FAST, but stylin. I live at the river and all I see is BBC,BBF,Olds 455's. They are OK, but show me a detailed Hemi or RB, 427 side oiler, Boss motor, Nailhead and I will look twice or more. Sometimes its nice to be different,not to prove a speed point, just to break out of the cookie cutter mold, stand out. With a boat like that Sanger old guys will walk up and tell you stories and kid will say" Holy shit, what is that". I, personally, wouldn't part with it for the world, or part it out. Old school is Cool!!! :D
Ten-four that!! :D

steelcomp
08-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Hey Steelcomp tha was a great post. I thought i would add that since the mid-80's ford as made avalible most of their prostock BBF heads, blocks and intakes to the general public. In building both of my BBF race motors one being a A460 headed motor and my full race engine being a C460 headed motor i honestly don't think i could have built the same HP in a chev for the same money. And I have been treated great buy the big time Ford prostock guys that have been a great help to me build my BBF's, Its too bad more more guys don't look into BBF's when building big Hp. motors.
It's unfortunate that Bob Glidden bought out the entire Ford Hemi program when he was running. There were a group of guys that went through the Roots head design and perfected it, and built an '84 TBird pro stock car, legal, that ran 7.14,s at 190-something. They were looking at 6's and 200 WAY before anyone was even close. The car was an experiment, and was scrapped, but proved what could be done with the power and chassis. There were things done on that car that still can't be talked about, and most of it was aerodynamic. The A460 and C460 stuff isn't bad, but nothing compared to what the Hemi (Ford) can produce. :frown:
The head package was given part # M-6049-A443* by Ford and included(without) picture in the 1985 Catalog. We ran our prototype super swirl engine in November,84, and produced the dyno figures partially quoted in the soft head article, however, max. power was never revealed until my lengthy book to Sentiniel, this AM. Bob Glidden heard about the dyno run at the SEMA show which was going at the time, and wanted to buy the engine, and all the other hand scraped castings we were finishing. The price was right, and as the NASCAR programs needed tending , we agreed.....thinking that our head deal with Ford was intact. Little did I know that Bob had negotiated to buy out Nick Arias share of AR, and of course he then went directly to Ford and mandated that the "super swirl" head program be cancelled. It was and that's that. Bob didn't want anyone else having access to the same "stuff" he was running, and I can't blame him. Unfortunately, I can't tell you who wrote this.

FILUCKY
08-22-2005, 11:15 AM
I know Ford has a 441 hemi head that is also avalible but way out of my price range. But 1000-1400HP. out of C460 heads is more then most of us will ever need. :) Most the guys running the C460 motors in the 500Ci. class are making around 1200-1300Hp on 114 octane all motor. Infact i think it was 557BAR that posted some pics of that bada$$ Ford powered rocket not too long ago and i think it had the 441 hemi heads topped off with a 14-71 with injection.

FILUCKY
08-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Sorry i was wrong about the blown ford in that last post but i put pic of a A441 hemi Ford in the gallery under jetboats and my screen name, sorry i don't know how to put pics in threads. But its worth looking at its Bada$$!

wsuwrhr
08-22-2005, 11:40 AM
I live at the river and all I see is BBC,BBF,Olds 455's. They are OK, but show me a detailed RB, and I will look twice or more.
Let me know where your place is and I will be happy to make passes.
Brian

wsuwrhr
08-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Looks like a 441 headed Ford to me, and I am not even a Ford expert.
Brian
CAMONNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2727christmas_house_078.jpg

wsuwrhr
08-22-2005, 11:45 AM
Oh wait, were you talking about THIS hemi?
Brian
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2727newhemi.jpg

steelcomp
08-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Yeah, too bad Ford's not lookin out for the little guy. :notam:
Nice 44's!!! :D :D

FILUCKY
08-22-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure wich would get me more looks on the river, my old lady or that hemi? It was a tough call but i kept the old lady. And i think their just 36's. ;)

BILLY.B
08-22-2005, 07:50 PM
Haven't been in here for awhile and was shocked to see this is still going. Thanks for all the compliments on the boat and engine. I still have to uncover it from time to time and I pick a part to polish and much to my surprise most of the chrome comes right back to life. And you know I don't care what LVJET says I love the Ford Hemi. :hammerhea :cool:

Wicked Performance Boats
08-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Can you say HEMI? :D Budlight

08-23-2005, 02:08 PM
And you know I don't care what LVJET says :hammerhea :cool:Nobody else does either. :D :D :D

LVjetboy
08-24-2005, 01:24 AM
"Jer you really need to get laid, have you tried whacking off??"
Has it's good side. But you beat it like it owes you...maybe instead of whacking you should try the real thing? Or try posting something worthwhile to this thread? Now there's a thought...
jer

LVjetboy
08-24-2005, 01:50 AM
"Hey Jer, I was talking to a friend who said a complete, still original, Boss 429 was sold at an auction for 31K. I'm trying to find out details."
Find out then post a link not rumor. I'd doubt it, but as I said, worth's what someone's willing pay. If a nickel now sells for 3 million, then a Boss 429 will eventually sell for 30k. No matter the true value.
"The Camaro and Firebird were the biggest POS, and Fords didn't have anything any better. That stupid Mustang II was an insult to Ford lovers although it did represent Ford's desire to "re-capture" the Mustang's heritage. The performance aftermarket was gasping for breath, and Ford recognized a need, and filled it."
What does GM or Ford mass-marketing, catering to the general idiot consumer public have to do with jet boaters?
jer

LVjetboy
08-24-2005, 02:34 AM
Posted by O58: "And you know I don't care what LVJET says. Nobody else does either. The main thing thats always pissed me off with Fords is they do not care about the "little guy" and would not produce parts and engines for the masses."
Such a petty and brand worshiping complaint, yet typical O58 post. O58 whining about Ford not producing parts for the masses 'cause they only care about racing...waa, waa. If they'd only cater to their cult following...waa, waa. For that matter, a Chevy guy will typically whine about Chevy not doing this or that to appease the masses waa, waa. Or either camp cult following talking about some legend high powered limited production engine no matter the truth...who cares?
Instead I chose reality. I could care less about name brand mfg, or some cult-following of a limited production engine. In fact my engine has little to do with Ford or Chevy. Instead I challenge legend vs reality whether the topic is engine, drive choice, builder or whatever.
Yet O58, you cast this in a ford vs chevy light? Your choice of issues seems a bit trivial to me.
jer

LVjetboy
08-24-2005, 02:56 AM
"were do you lose 10% or so of a motors hp. from the crank to the pump? I know you lose about 15%-20% in a car running through a tranny and rearend but lossing 10% in a 7" driveline? And as far as running 95 mph with 450 hp.you have got to tell us your secret because their is alot of us that would love to run with those #'s, would have saved me alot of money and pretty much every one i know for that matter. Not trying to start a online battle here, but those numbers? I know there is alot of boats outhere that run a soilid 400-500hp that ain't nowhere near 95mph. And that includes light tunnels and TX-19's with good setups."
Are you asking me?
jer

LVjetboy
08-24-2005, 03:05 AM
"Cool deal 058, thanks for the post. I never knew the reasons, and not being a Ford nut, I had no idea. Bummer deal on Ford, too bad they didn't take it farther."
Ya too bad you were a mopar nut. But O58 posts and well...Jeez. Now that you know the true reasons? Bummer deal on Ford, huh?
jer

Roman 1
08-24-2005, 07:13 AM
Jer, you're a genius in your own mind. :(
Lose the hate and congratulate!
R1 :sleeping:

superdave013
08-24-2005, 07:22 AM
I like this thinking myself. I'd like to someday have an old wood deck rayson, wikkens (or the like) powered by nail head with webbers.

08-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Posted by O58: "And you know I don't care what LVJET says. Nobody else does either. The main thing thats always pissed me off with Fords is they do not care about the "little guy" and would not produce parts and engines for the masses."
Such a petty and brand worshiping complaint, yet typical O58 post. O58 whining about Ford not producing parts for the masses 'cause they only care about racing...waa, waa. If they'd only cater to their cult following...waa, waa. For that matter, a Chevy guy will typically whine about Chevy not doing this or that to appease the masses waa, waa. Or either camp cult following talking about some legend high powered limited production engine no matter the truth...who cares?
Instead I chose reality. I could care less about name brand mfg, or some cult-following of a limited production engine. In fact my engine has little to do with Ford or Chevy. Instead I challenge legend vs reality whether the topic is engine, drive choice, builder or whatever.
Yet O58, you cast this in a ford vs chevy light? Your choice of issues seems a bit trivial to me.
jerLVjetboy, If you are going to quote me at least get it right. :hammerhea No whining here as I don't care anymore, just stating facts on the way things were waaaayy back in the 60s and 70s. My racing days are long behind me so I have little use for high performance parts. Your typical rant when someone posts something that doesn't fit your criteria of what a jetboat should be. How many times have you blathered on about how your boat IS the most ideal boat because it has a gettoblaster sound system a blender, mood lighting, stripping pole and a bar and dance floor but yet you critizise anyone else that doesn't have such a well equipped boat. Your idea of boating? fine but that doesn't mean everyone else a loser because they don't have a boat just like yours. I can go back to the time you posted that picture of you and your boat and the guy with the little aluminum fishing boat that you drew a cartoon bubble over the fisherman's head saying "I wish I could have a boat like that one" or something to that effect. You are under the illusion that the whole world is envious of you.

LVjetboy
08-25-2005, 12:51 AM
O58, if you read my posts to this thread you'd know I wasn't talking about my boat or your spin based on OTHER THREADS I've posted to. In fact, I think Blown was the first to mention my boat in this thread. Yet if you read my posts I talk about the Boss 429, performance, brand loyalty and legends...not my boat.
I took no Ford or Chevy side not only because the first post ask, but also because I have no brand loyalty. I've rebuilt and run Ford, Chevy, Pontiac and Honda. I could care less about big name mfgs, idiot mass marketing compromises and on-again off-again commitment to racing depending on who's in charge of Ford or Chevy or xxx mfg R&D and sales at the time. Yet some here get overly sensitive even seem to worship one brand or the other from what they post. That doesn't make sense to me. But no big deal to each his own and it makes for a lively discussion...just not my thing.
So I say what I think and I'll challenge what you or anyone else thinks if I don't agree, status or let's-all-just-feel-good posts aside. Some post to agree and be happy. Some post to join or ride coattail. You may spin my post as envy, some spin it as ego. Believe me, I love my jet's performance and have no plans to sell the Drag-n or buy another jet. So I don't get your envy spin. And I'm certainly no genius, I'm lucky to remember where I put my keys in the morning. Even on a younger better braincell day it took me forever to understand what some learned right away.
So I guess that leaves me posting to this thread because I have a different pov not motivated by engine legends, brand loyalty, internet status or the need to pat someone on the back. Maybe not the feel-good mainstream some crave yet a reasoned and logical alternative.
jer

08-25-2005, 07:58 AM
OK LV, I understand perfectly. I have brand loyalty as many of us do here but thats doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good running Chevy, Mopar Pontiac, etc. I will never seriously rip on any brand as I know any engine with proper preperation and a wise selection of parts will make good power...or was that torque? :D What got my panties in a bunch was your reference to me whining about FoMoCo making parts for just a select bunch of racers. I was only responding to WSUWRHR's question about why Ford didn't make more of their exotic engines, not whining :confused: As a Ford freak since the early 60s I have dealt with the lack of [in]expensive parts or unobtainium parts and have become very used to it, that makes it that much more of a challlange. Believe me, it would have been much easier just to switch to Chevy if all I was concerned with making cheap and easy horsepower.

superdave013
08-25-2005, 08:34 AM
This was a nice thread. Thanks LV for focking it all up with your jibberish AGAIN!

dmontzsta
08-25-2005, 09:18 AM
This was a nice thread. Thanks LV for focking it all up with your jibberish AGAIN!
He has been drinking alot of haterade.
:coffeycup

FILUCKY
08-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Hey LV, if it only takes 456hp to run 95mph then why are there so many 60mph jet boats? 456 hp is very easy to reach for a low cost engine build on a BB. Oh and as you stated thats not even in a light tunnel.

dmontzsta
08-25-2005, 02:11 PM
Hey LV, if it only takes 456hp to run 95mph then why are there so many 60mph jet boats? 456 hp is very easy to reach for a low cost engine build on a BB. Oh and as you stated thats not even in a light tunnel.
Maybe he forgot to mention the thousands of dollars he put into pump work.
:idea:

FILUCKY
08-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Ya, and the 400 shot of n2o!

dmontzsta
08-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Ya, and the 400 shot of n2o!
lol. yeah.
I know of atleast a handful of jet boats with 500hp and they are barely breaking into the 70s, one of them is running in the low 60s even.

08-25-2005, 06:14 PM
lol. yeah.
I know of atleast a handful of jet boats with 500hp and they are barely breaking into the 70s, one of them is running in the low 60s even. You guys keep this shit up and LVjetboy will bring out all his charts and graphs. They don't lie, you know. :rolleyes:

dmontzsta
08-25-2005, 07:48 PM
You guys keep this shit up and LVjetboy will bring out all his charts and graphs. They don't lie, you know. :rolleyes:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...
As if the paragraphs werent bad enough, then graphs? ugh.
:eek:

wsuwrhr
08-25-2005, 09:30 PM
"Cool deal 058, thanks for the post. I never knew the reasons, and not being a Ford nut, I had no idea. Bummer deal on Ford, too bad they didn't take it farther."
Ya too bad you were a mopar nut. But O58 posts and well...Jeez. Now that you know the true reasons? Bummer deal on Ford, huh?
jer
Jer,
Damn.

Squirtin Thunder
08-25-2005, 09:44 PM
This is nice !!
This is nicer !!!

wsuwrhr
08-25-2005, 09:46 PM
or the need to pat someone on the back. jer
Seems that you can't do just that.
A guy posts about a boat built between a family,
fuk it, I just don't understand you
you just can't give props to someone's accomplishments, be it big or small.
Brian

Squirtin Thunder
08-25-2005, 09:49 PM
I think this explains it perfectly !!!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2311Billys_Jet_011.jpg

steelcomp
08-25-2005, 09:52 PM
What does GM or Ford mass-marketing, catering to the general idiot consumer public have to do with jet boaters?
You know, Jer, you can be a real arrogant ass sometimes. What's worse is, I think you get off on it. You've got issues, dude.
Here's a news flash. There's NOTHING you could do to your boat to make it as nice as this one, except start over.

wsuwrhr
08-25-2005, 09:53 PM
SWEET BOAT.
Brian
Back on track
This is nice !!
This is nicer !!!

LVjetboy
08-25-2005, 10:29 PM
"This was a nice thread. Thanks LV for focking it all up with your jibberish AGAIN!
Or you could thank me for keeping it near the top...with more people clicking on it and looking again at that jet.
jer

Squirtin Thunder
08-25-2005, 10:42 PM
I think this explains it perfectly !!!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2311Billys_Jet_011.jpg
Yah Yah Yah !!!
Jer should post some pics of his ride plate !!!

LVjetboy
08-25-2005, 11:24 PM
"I will never seriously rip on any brand as I know any engine with proper preperation and a wise selection of parts will make good power."
I agree. I rarely (if ever?) rip any brand. Yet when I challenge a legend...some label my post jibberish. Every engine has design flaws, some more than others. But I ALSO understand the value and pride in being the underdog and beating a Chevy with an Olds (no offense Olds guys, just for example). Trust me: I've always been slow to change horses. Even though when I finally did I later wondered why it took me so long. For many, the challenge of finding or making unobtanium parts and pride in skill of a perfect match for the win overshadows any consideration of which engine design (or hull or pump for that matter) is best to start with.
But this's off-topic. The Boss 429 is a good design with plenty of potential. My other posts focused on stock Boss 429 power and potential jet speed not Ford vs Chevy or vs anything. I did not rip the Boss or say it's a poor design no matter how some want to spin it.
jer

LVjetboy
08-26-2005, 01:40 AM
"Hey LV, if it only takes 456hp to run 95mph then why are there so many 60mph jet boats? 456 hp is very easy to reach for a low cost engine build on a BB. Oh and as you stated thats not even in a light tunnel."
For many jets it takes a lot more power. In fact I had a Ford 429 Biesemeyer jet that ran 65 mph (70 NOS). (Don't take my Ford too serious 058)
For some 18' jets with a good setup it doesn't. Your quote of 95 w/456 hp based on PCrats numbers. While I'm not defending his numbers, I can say those numbers follow the power/speed profile reported by others with well setup high-performance jets, including mine. Was BillyB's jet not considered a high-performance small jet when he reported 84 mph? Did he run full interior? Modified pump? Who knows all we have is a reported speed.
Was his 84 mph any more accurate than PCrat, Brain Neal, Rat Raft or mine? Don't know. Also don't remember BillyB mentioning impeller cut or rpm. So hey, with only a top speed qoute and unknown load and conditions it's hard to compare. And since BillyB says he doesn't care what I post it's unlikely he'll give more details.
jer

LVjetboy
08-26-2005, 02:04 AM
"Here's a news flash. There's NOTHING you could do to your boat to make it as nice as this one, except start over."
Steel, here's a news flash. I really don't care if you or anyone else likes my jet or thinks it's nice. In fact I could care less if anyone reading this thread likes my jet. Is THAT perfectly clear?
jer

BILLY.B
08-26-2005, 06:31 AM
Was BillyB's jet not considered a high-performance small jet when he reported 84 mph? Did he run full interior? Modified pump? Who knows all we have is a reported speed.
Was his 84 mph any more accurate than PCrat, Brain Neal, Rat Raft or mine? Don't know. Also don't remember BillyB mentioning impeller cut or rpm. So hey, with only a top speed qoute and unknown load and conditions it's hard to compare. And since BillyB says he doesn't care what I post it's unlikely he'll give more details.
jerOk if theres one thing I always seem to do is that I always try and do things that are different. And when I did this boat I thought I had accomplished that. I've had guys come by just to see this and when I uncover it they all say the same thing, "That engine with that hull is awesome". Now they could all just be saying this but they seem to be truley interested and they all think that the installation is cool especially for everything being 25yrs old. Now LVjetboy hasn't really slammed the project just spoke his mind. So to answer your post here goes. Ran 84mph with full in terior, no jet work other then droop snoot, no trick intake or trick impeller amd hell I probably had 15gals of fuel on board. The hull was layed up heavy at Sanger to help prevent stress cracks and I can't remember the rpm's the engine would turn so your guess is as good as mine. All's I know is that I beat all Chevys to get to the final and ran another Ford to win it. Hope this helps LVjetboy.

superdave013
08-26-2005, 06:39 AM
"Here's a news flash. There's NOTHING you could do to your boat to make it as nice as this one, except start over."
Steel, here's a news flash. I really don't care if you or anyone else likes my jet or thinks it's nice. In fact I could care less if anyone reading this thread likes my jet. Is THAT perfectly clear?
jer
we like your boat, it's the constant jibberish that gets old. ;)

superdave013
08-26-2005, 06:40 AM
what's up Bill? :D

disco_charger
08-26-2005, 07:06 AM
Hey Billy, count me in on the "thinks it's a really sweet boat no matter what the self professed experts think" vain. I think the Boss 429 is cool not only cause it make good power, but because you just don't see em. I'm a Chevy guy cause that's what I was brought up with, and this thing is one of the coolest ever. Hell, anyone can throw money to an engine builder and a pump builder and go fast, but how many guys have the history you have with this boat? Very few. Besides, if I remember right, don't you have something that will beat the "real fast" jets on this board? :notam: :D

LVjetboy
08-28-2005, 02:19 AM
BillyB, thanks for the reply. No question...at the dock your jet the center of attention...will always be. On the water? Dock talk and bench racing aside, a true 84 mph jet wins many if not most jet boat races. And 84 mph with full interior and lake lay-up? Impressive. Not to mention potential upgraded power to 700+hp? Another issue.
You're quest for something different I know...as some here (not all) understand about me. After jet-boating a number of years, different hulls, rebuilding several engines, playing with Nos etc, I chose a somewhat proven path to my performance goal: The century jet.
Proven or calculated path, yet not so mainstream...you'll never see a blower on my jet. I favor the underdog sleeper thing over the normal path to power (blowers) common for big numbers no matter drive choice. Also in style, stereo and other things...I followed a unique and decidedly different path. So my jet's a blend of both, whether some here acknowledge that or not.
I chose engine/drive mods to run 100 mph (I hoped, later measured) on 89 octane...dock gas not pump, and certainly NOT race gas. I suppose some may consider that unique w/o a blower not the norm.
But I ramble...thinking about unique or doing something different vs. value and performance goals. Or a blend.
My focus posting to this thread was not my jet, regardless of those taking offense.
But the Boss 429 in your jet; it's rated or alleged power and your reported performance. The legend of the Boss caught my interest so I was curious about rated power and how that compared to actual power and how fast you ran. I posted my thoughts. Others spun my comments to Ford vs. Chevy or labeled my posts "gibberish" or useless comments from a "self-proclaimed expert"
jer

LVjetboy
08-28-2005, 02:20 AM
SuperDave, I'm sorry, what part of my posts to this thread is gibberish?
jer

steelcomp
08-28-2005, 06:36 AM
Jer,
I know you really don't care, and that's too bad since it shows a considerable lack of consideration on yout part toward others, (but to each their own) but have you ever noticed that you get almost identical replies and responses/reactions to just about every thread you respond to? :idea: :sleeping:

LVjetboy
08-28-2005, 11:15 PM
"I know you really don't care, and that's too bad since it shows a considerable lack of consideration on yout part toward others, (but to each their own) but have you ever noticed that you get almost identical replies and responses/reactions to just about every thread you respond to?"
You're right. Don't care what you or others say when I post. Sorry about that. As for lack of consideration...yes to some degree, not totally. Do you temper your comments and hold back because you now want to portray a tech forum diplomate?
Have YOU ever noticed posts "with consideration" tend to be a bit generic with little technical forum content?
...nice jet, way to go.
...bitchen' awesome ride dude.
...wow, one nice ride...sweet!
...Damn, that's one cool ass <fill in the blank>
These type of responses could be computer-automated. Everyone can post feelgood. It's easy just fill-in-the-blank. I've seen so many times they are meaningless. Maybe I'm a bit jaded. And I'm not trying to put-down all feelgood post in this forum. But if a thread starter wants only praise and no challenge for his view of boat/pump/performance/stereo/blender/whatever etc? Then my post to his feelgood thread may not be popular and I'll no doubt get negative responses. This in a so-called tech forum...not a social forum? Technical means open to challenge, questions, contrary opinions or debate on technical issues...do you get that Steel?
To me a technical forum means freedom to question or challenge regardless of whatever feel-good let's all sing along cumbya hero worship is popular at the time. Yet people like you Steel, or Chet for example...in the defense/attack mode will defend someone they consider a pro or some mfg they consider an expert or authority, no matter the circumstance value or performance, or whatever. Reminds me of high school drama.
jer

steelcomp
08-29-2005, 12:14 AM
"I know you really don't care, and that's too bad since it shows a considerable lack of consideration on yout part toward others, (but to each their own) but have you ever noticed that you get almost identical replies and responses/reactions to just about every thread you respond to?"
You're right. Don't care what you or others say when I post what I think. Sorry about that. As for lack of consideration to feeling of others...yes to some degree, not totally. Do you temper your comments and hold back because you're now the feakin' tech forum diplomate?
Have YOU ever noticed posts by those "with consideration" tend to be a bit generic with little technical forum content?
...nice jet, way to go.
We can all post feelgood. It's easy just fill-in-the-blank. And I'm not trying to put-down every feelgood post in this forum. But if the thread starter wants only praise and no challenge for his view of boat/pump/performance/stereo/blender/whatever etc? Then my post to his feelgood thread may not be popular and I'll no doubt get negative responses. This in a so-called tech forum...not a social forum? Technical means open to challenge, questions, contrary opinions or debate on technical issues...do you get that Steel?
To me a technical forum means freedom to question or challenge regardless of whatever feel-good let's all sing along cumbya hero worship is popular at the time. Yet people like you Steel, or Chet for example...in the defense/attack mode will defend someone they consider a pro or some mfg they consider an expert or authority, no matter the circumstance value or performance, or whatever. Reminds me of high school drama.
jer So what was technical about anything you posted in this thread?? Technical above Duh!!! You compare your boat's motor to the Boss 429. Again, I say no comparison. You can't argue esteem. (well, you can) It was earned, not just invented. Your motor nothing more than run of the mill BB Chev. aftermarket pay to have someone else build boring boring boring. Your quest for the "century" jet something unique and out of the ordinary??? Cookie cutter. Look around. Ford's Boss 429 EARNED the reputation and esteem it has. And with what you have in your motor, as compared to a stock anything, I would certainly HOPE it would have the performance edge. Technical edge??? I don't think so. You haven't made a single technical comparison, except for some vague performance assumptions.
Yet people like you Steel, or Chet for example...in the defense/attack mode will defend someone they consider a pro or some mfg they consider an expert or authority, no matter the circumstance value or performance, or whatever.
Show me an example of your BS Jer.
Have YOU ever noticed posts "with consideration" tend to be a bit generic with little technical forum content?
...nice jet, way to go.
Yeah, so what? It's called participating. Having fun. Being a part of something at a level they are comfortable with, not trying to save the technical integrity of every thread. What does it matter to you anyway?? Technical or not, this whole ***boat website is nothing more than social. It could disappear tomorrow, and the technical world would survive. This is recreational, Jer. For fun, before anything. It's not required. No es necesario! If you want technical to stay technical, and have nothing but technical allowed, start your own web site, set your own rules, and be your own moderator. Let people have their fun, and quit trying to piss in everyone's Cheerios. Crack a joke. Make a funny. LIghten up, man. lighten up!!
Do you get that Jer?? I mean, if this is so screwed up here, then why do you bother?? :hammer2:

LVjetboy
08-29-2005, 01:02 AM
"So what was technical about anything you posted in this thread?? Technical above Duh!"
Read the thread from the start Steel.
You'll find my posts a bit different than the usual feel good...
"...nice jet, way to go.
...Damn, that's one cool ass <fill in the blank>"
In fact my first post was...
84 mph, about right for a good setup w/375 hp actual (not rated) in a small jet. Boss 429? I hear you can still buy the Boss for about 15k.
I mentioned numbers relating to both performance and value. Not "bitchen ride" or "awesome jet way coolass" dude this or that. Granted my first post not an in-depth technical thesis on jet impeller cavitation or how thrust angle deflection affects jet boat performance as a function of hull drag or whatever you'd consider technical. At least my post a bit more technical than "awesome jet dude and way cool package man."
Instead I was the first to question what the Boss 429 could run, how much power, and how much one would cost in todays market. Wouldn't many want to know that? Isn't anyone else besides me interested in talking about that? Guess not since it's more cool to post, "way freakin' over the top dude."
Later I posted,
"Detuned or not and mfg/insurance conspiracy theories aside...running 84 mph (as Billy mentioned) in a small performance hull with a well setup pump and 375 (true) hp is not unrealistic. I ran 83.6 mph with 340 true hp (5k on Berkeley B). If the tuned Boss 429's rated hp was a bit over 400 hp so what? True hp for most conditions would still be high 300's and performance could be low to mid 80's for a small well-tuned jet...as Billy reported."
I followed up with other technical not way cool posts. I compared numbers and performance. Not claiming my posts are all 100% technically accurate but they are a bit more "technical" than most to this thread.
You get the picture? Probably not...you seem only concerned with tagging along with the BillyB image in this thread.
jer

LVjetboy
08-29-2005, 01:21 AM
"Do you get that Jer?? I mean, if this is so screwed up here, then why do you bother?"
Maybe because I like to piss you off?
Seriously, I never said, "this is so screwed up here." That's you spin. But I certainly do post my opinion to any thread even when my opinion is contrary to popular. You drool over the Boss 429 with vague words like esteem and earned reputation and so on. Not much substance or facts. Then you try to put down my engine and it's documented performance with a lame and vague statement like, "your motor nothing more than run of the mill BB Chev."
Guess what? I really (truly) and honestly don't care what you think about my engine. If you consider it run-of-the-mill that's ok and just fine with me. I suppose that's a shocker to you...you apparently a slobbering mfg brand and legend worshipper. Maybe a Ford or Chevy fan needs an engine legend to believe in to rally their cause or justify their belief? But I choose technical. I only care about the facts...the truth...not the legends. And certainly not Ford vs. Chevy. Do you get that Steel?
You post technical at times but also pander to social, I'm thinking to try to be cool? Good luck with that Steel.
jer

Blown 472
08-29-2005, 02:06 AM
Jesus Jer, your wife leave or what? the time you spend here pissing everyone off you could be tagging her.

Wicked Performance Boats
08-29-2005, 06:35 AM
Do we like to listen to technical facts all by themselves? Do we like to listen to bullshit that means nothing except gibber-jabber with others? I always wished when I was in school, that textbooks were written by real authors like Steven King or Dean Koontz. Then the facts wouldn't be so dry or boring. I loved reading about mountain men in the old west but in history class, I could fall asleep while the teacher talked about the same subject! Jer, we love technical infomation on jets/boats/pumps/hardware, but we like color or conversation or some interesting imput along with it. Steel, I think you love to bitchslap Jer or anyone that is "personality challanged". The truth is most all of us like to learn info and relate to other peeps that have a common interest together. Besides it's a great way to buy or sell some of the parts and boats we have. BUT, we also have the ability to read on here, what we choose and skim over the BS we aren't interested in. I like most of it but not all of it. Steel, be nicer! Jeri, lighten up, and put in some color! I promise it won't hurt you. Budlight :idea:

Ralph Brunt
08-29-2005, 07:01 AM
good point

Roman 1
08-29-2005, 08:26 AM
You're quest for something different I know...as some here (not all) understand about me. After jet-boating a number of years, different hulls, rebuilding several engines, playing with Nos etc, I chose a somewhat proven path to my performance goal: The century jet.
Proven or calculated path, yet not so mainstream...you'll never see a blower on my jet. I favor the underdog sleeper thing over the normal path to power (blowers) common for big numbers no matter drive choice. Also in style, stereo and other things...I followed a unique and decidedly different path. So my jet's a blend of both, whether some here acknowledge that or not.
I chose engine/drive mods to run 100 mph (I hoped, later measured) on 89 octane...dock gas not pump, and certainly NOT race gas. I suppose some may consider that unique w/o a blower not the norm.
My focus posting to this thread was not my jet,
Hey windbag,
wow, you really have it figured...please come out to a v-drive outing and dazzle us with your 100mph 89 octane "non-mainstream sleaper":sleeping: some of us would like to show you what part of the words underdog you represent.
Roman :notam:

steelcomp
08-29-2005, 08:26 AM
Do we like to listen to technical facts all by themselves? Do we like to listen to bullshit that means nothing except gibber-jabber with others? I always wished when I was in school, that textbooks were written by real authors like Steven King or Dean Koontz. Then the facts wouldn't be so dry or boring. I loved reading about mountain men in the old west but in history class, I could fall asleep while the teacher talked about the same subject! Jer, we love technical infomation on jets/boats/pumps/hardware, but we like color or conversation or some interesting imput along with it. Steel, I think you love to bitchslap Jer or anyone that is "personality challanged". The truth is most all of us like to learn info and relate to other peeps that have a common interest together. Besides it's a great way to buy or sell some of the parts and boats we have. BUT, we also have the ability to read on here, what we choose and skim over the BS we aren't interested in. I like most of it but not all of it. Steel, be nicer! Jeri, lighten up, and put in some color! I promise it won't hurt you. Budlight :idea:Aw, c'mon, Bud...you're spoilin my fun. :D Sometimes I like to see just how far Jer will go with this stuff. I'll leave him alone. Sorry. :redface:

Roman 1
08-29-2005, 08:28 AM
Jer,
have you ever noticed that you get almost identical replies and responses/reactions to just about every thread you respond to? :idea: :sleeping:
This was a nice try... :cool:
R1

steelcomp
08-29-2005, 09:07 AM
Except for this...Instead I was the first to question what the Boss 429 could run, how much power, and how much one would cost in todays market. Wouldn't many want to know that? Isn't anyone else besides me interested in talking about that? Guess not since it's more cool to post, "way freakin' over the top dude."
First, You didn't question anything, Jer, you made a statement. Read your own junk. Isn't anyone interested? Wouldn't many want to know that? Guess not, Jer. "Way freekin over the top, dude" not more or less cool, just what someone wanted to post. It is what it is...why the spin? I don't get that. Does that make you feel superior?
Second, You, follow a unique and decidedly different path??
I was not really trying to put your engine down, but the fact remains that it's just another BB Chev. with a tunnel ram and 2 fours. Pretty "main stream" afa jets go. Big deal it has a OOOoooo....Profiler top end. Big deal it runs on pump gas. It's still just another BB Chev. In comparison to the Boss 429, it's still cookie cutter. Spin it how you want.
Third, this wasn't a technical thread to start with, Jer. You threw out some extremely vagure HP and speed numbers, and made some even more vague hull comments, and then started comparing your boat and motor to Bling's. You TRIED to make this technical, but no one wanted to play engineer. Instead, they wanted to make comments like "cool boat, way to go, dude, etc.", and feel good about it. You ought to try it some time...the feel good thing.
And as far as pissing me off...you give yourself way too much credit, Jer....you make me laugh. :hammer2: :D
Later, most boring and technical one.
(Sorry, Pat)

Wicked Performance Boats
08-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Steel, I knew you couldn't leave it alone Pat :D :D :D :hammer2:

LVjetboy
08-31-2005, 04:03 AM
Lvjetboy posted, "I was the first to question (this thread) what the Boss 429 could run, how much power, and how much one would cost in todays market."
Steel responded, "You didn't question anything, Jer, you made a statement."
So he concluded my post's are junk, not interesting or worth reading. Excuse me? I both questioned and stated in my 23+ posts to this thread. Just to refresh your short-term memory Steel, here's a few of my QUESTIONS to this thread...
Cost:
"Boss 429? I hear you can still buy the Boss for about 15k?"
"...is a typical jet or even v-drive buyer willing to pay for the nostalgic value (or mystery) of that Boss 429?"
"A 1913 Liberty Head “V” nickel recently sold for $3 million. Would you buy that? To me, a nickel's worth 5 cents."
"What does GM or Ford mass-marketing, catering to the general idiot consumer public have to do with jet boaters?"
Run:
"84 mph, about right for a good setup w/375 hp actual (not rated) in a small jet... Do you know BillyB's setup when he raced it at 84 mph?
Did he race w/full interior and stereo or fully-loaded as you posted?"
Power:
"If the tuned Boss 429's rated hp was a bit over 400 hp so what?"
"If that Boss delivered 375 to the impeller at 84 mph when BillyB raced it, it's "true" rated power may've been in the 400-450 hp range. Who knows?"
So Steel claims I didn't question just stated. Maybe he should read. Steel further dismisses my post inappropiate saying they're "extremely vague HP and speed numbers, and made even more vague hull comments"
Excuse me? I included more freakin' Hp and speed CONTENT then your lame-ass posts Steel. Do you remember this...
Rat Raft
'78 Youngblood Gullwing
86.5@5200 Berk B = 380 hp
BN - Brian Neal
Southwind semi-v
82@5000 Berk B- = (est) 320 hp
92@5600 Berk B- = (est) 450 hp
PCRat - Brian
PlaceCraft 19' tunnel
95.4@5700 Berk B/C = 456 hp
Are those hp and speeds vague? I'm thinking no, they're better than most of the bench racing crap you seem to read here lately. If not 100% accurate at least not vague compared to the information you contributed to this thread Steel. And I did include hull design and length as best I knew from reported.
You know what? I'm tired of this.
Freak'in good ol' boy bullshit. This is a waste of my time.
I already acknowledged the Boss's potential. Steel, you insist on comparing my engine to the 429 but I'm sure you know there's no comparison, that's not even the issue. Though it seems you'd like to make it an issue. I could care less what you think of my engine or how it matches the Boss 429. Trust me.
My posts to this thread?...Never mind you wouldn't understand.
In fact, I'm tired of posting what I think, on and on. Waste of time. How much water pressure? What temperature or where should I run my freakin' hoses? Do jets push on water? Ignorant. Does power or torque drive performance or some combo, actual vs corrected power, on and on. I don't care anymore.
Figure it out. Post funny, popular or try to says something important. Social or technical I could care less. I'm done. You guys figure it out.
jer

Blown 472
08-31-2005, 04:59 AM
Don't go Jer, I have one question for ya??? where does color go when it fades???

Cs19
08-31-2005, 07:42 AM
I read all Jer's posts,I enjoy most all of them.He knows whats up with jets.Unfortunatly there are no interesting tech threads anymore, I miss the RJB page.Im so burnt out on the BS talk lately.
How about letting this one blow over already and lets move on.