PDA

View Full Version : Jet Vs Prop

DEF3
07-24-2005, 09:03 PM
This My Sound Like A Dump Question. I Am Looking To Get A 22ft Boat And Would Like To Know The Pros And Cons Of The Jet And The Prop. In This Size Of Boat. Also What Boats Would You Recommed In This Size? Thanks For All You Help.

Kindsvater Flat
07-24-2005, 09:11 PM
They both have there place but I think in a daycruiser a prop boat would be more efficient.......especially on gas!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-24-2005, 09:12 PM
I will get my popcorn out and ready because this will be an interesting thread!!!
Most people will say a prop. I am a diehard jet boy but props are easier to move and thats the truth...I hate to say it but that real.....

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-24-2005, 09:12 PM
They both have there place but I think in a daycruiser a prop boat would be more efficient.......especially on gas!
true!

BBB
07-24-2005, 09:26 PM
I've got a 22' jet and I love it but it takes a lot of hp to get it going and that equals a lot of ga$!

Red Horse
07-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Depends on where you boat and what you want. Getting that big a prop will be more efficent. If you have shallow water in a river etc then get a jet.
If it were me, a 22 footer, prop. And I have a jet.

Jet City
07-25-2005, 08:10 AM
I have owned an 18' jet, an 18' v-drive and a 21' jet daycruiser, the v-drive requires less RPM to cruise and is far easier on fuel, and my v-drive has 2 double pumpers on a tunnel ram. I have nothing against jets, but I'll never own another 21'+ jet again, it was grossly underpowered (stock 455) and handled like a barge, my uncle has a 21' Hallett with a little 383 SBC / Volvo outdrive that is better in every way IMO.
The best advice anyone can give you is make sure you give the boat you intend to buy a thorough test drive and figure out what YOU like.

BigBlockBaja
07-25-2005, 08:15 AM
:coffeycup
Going to need several of those for this thread.

DEF3
07-25-2005, 08:31 AM
I Will Be Using The Boat For Most Of The Time At Parker Strip. I Have Been Looking At The 22 Stealth By Ultra Custom Boats. They Start With A 364 Cu. In. Engine And Have The Option Of Jet Or Prop. This Is A V- Hull And From A Hot Boat Test On Ultras Reviews Hot Boat Seems To Have A Good Write Up For This Boat. Have Any Of You Driving A Boat Like This? Also As Far As The Jet Handles At Low Speeds I Know That You Are On And Off The Gas To Get It Were You Want To, But Is It As Bad As People Say Or Is It Just Adapting To A Different Driving Stlye? Also For Sking And Wake Boarding What Make It Harder For The Person In The Water To Be Towed By A Jet Vs A Prop? Thanks For You Time And Help.
David
P.s What Other Manufatures Would You Recommed To Look At With This Type Of Boat.

Havasu Hangin'
07-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Also, a jet needs a rounded keel for the intake, and a sterndrive does not, which means it can handle rough water better.

Morg
07-25-2005, 09:02 AM
I Will Be Using The Boat For Most Of The Time At Parker Strip. I Have Been Looking At The 22 Stealth By Ultra Custom Boats. They Start With A 364 Cu. In. Engine And Have The Option Of Jet Or Prop. This Is A V- Hull And From A Hot Boat Test On Ultras Reviews Hot Boat Seems To Have A Good Write Up For This Boat. Have Any Of You Driving A Boat Like This? Also As Far As The Jet Handles At Low Speeds I Know That You Are On And Off The Gas To Get It Were You Want To, But Is It As Bad As People Say Or Is It Just Adapting To A Different Driving Stlye? Also For Sking And Wake Boarding What Make It Harder For The Person In The Water To Be Towed By A Jet Vs A Prop? Thanks For You Time And Help.
David
P.s What Other Manufatures Would You Recommed To Look At With This Type Of Boat.
A prop. will pull a skier out easier.

BigBlockBaja
07-25-2005, 09:40 AM
A prop. will pull a skier out easier.
I thought Jets acellerate faster?????

Morg
07-25-2005, 10:39 AM
I thought Jets acellerate faster?????
Depends on the boat.
22 foot long 364 C.I. the prop will hook up & pull harder out of the hole.
My opinion.

Mohavekid
07-25-2005, 11:35 AM
David
Steering and handling are different betwen a jet and prop. The jet is not difficult to drive and with practice can be much more manuverable than a prop boat around the docks. Yes I own and drive both, a jet and a prop boat.
The jet will likely use more fuel than the prop, but a jet can be fairly economical if you can keep your throttle foot off the floor. My 21' jet cruises at 3000-3500 RPM at about 25 MPH, the 20' prop cruises that same 25 MPH at about 2500 RPM. Acceleration is the forte' of a jet boat and the jet will generally out accelerate the same boat/motor combo with a stern drive.
The jet wake and thrust wash are more turbulant than the prop, but not really objectionable unless you're serious about your skiing.
Overall, for general boating in the area you mentioned, the jet is just more fun to drive. IMO
Good Luck

76BARRON
07-25-2005, 05:07 PM
The only advantage of a jet is if you think you will be in and around shallow water, running over sand bar's or other hazards(skier's?)PERIOD!
Just ask the manufacture's.That is why they were invented in the first place.
And yes they can be made to go fast too?But with alot more moneytoo!