PDA

View Full Version : helicoils and other problems

h2ojet001
07-25-2005, 07:15 PM
I was doing the final tuning on the carbs and noticed gas leaking from a float bowl bolt. So I tried to tighten it and it won't tighten. So I remove the bowl and metering block and notice the helicoil came out. So my question is where can I get a replacement helicoil and how difficult is it to replace?
In case anyone is looking for some light reading here are a few other problems I ran into along the way. After the initial cam breakin last week I thought everything went fine. The only thing I didn't like was that there was way to much water coming out the headers running on the garden hose. So after pulling the dip stick I had a real nice milk shake in the oil pan. I was so happy that it fired up and ran I wasn't paying attention other things except oil pressure. The next day I called Bassett and explained what happened. He said to check the spring in the t-valve, sometimes it can be put in upside down. A good check is to blow into it and if it is working no air should come out. On mine air was coming out, so I open it and found the ball sitting about half way down in the spring. I turned the spring around and gave it the blow job test and now no air escaped. Hooked everything back up and gave it the water test and bingo it works now. Drained the milk shake(10 qts) took about 15 minutes using a drill pump. Put in new oil and filter and now ready to set timing and adj carbs. Started it up warmed it up started playing with the carbs and noticed one carb wasn't squirting gas on the primary squirters. Took the float bowl and metering block off and noticed the gasket between them didn't have the hole punched out that allows gas from the accelerator pump to the metering block. Fixed it and now it sound like I am running on all 8 cyl when I step on the throttle.
One final question the little time I had to play with the timing and carbs I was not able to get the idle below 1200 rpms. Before the inductive coupling melted beyond use on the timing light I had set the total timing at 34 but when I tried to idle it down below 1000 rpm it would die. The cam I have is a clay smith 264 @ .050. This may have something to do with it. But first I need to fix the helicoil before I go any further. Hopefully I can get this boat wet next week. I hope this wasn't to long at least I have documented what I did today even if I keep taking two steps forward and one back.
Barry

DeputyDawg
07-25-2005, 07:26 PM
If you have a local fastener shop you might check with them for the Helicoils. You aren't running the boat on the trailer with the driveline hooked up while you're doing all this tuning are you?

h2ojet001
07-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Of course not I learned that lesson several years ago.

Wicked Performance Boats
07-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Holley floatbowl screws are 12-24 thread, good luck finding a helicoil set. I drove all over town to find one! Budlight

sdba069
07-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Grainger has the Heli-Coil kit. You can also get the repair kit from Holley, I think. Not sure about that last part, but pretty sure.