PDA

View Full Version : Skiatook and OK noise laws

ECeptor
07-26-2005, 06:24 AM
I've heard from several people that Skiatook is one of the cleanest, nicest lakes in OK. We are thinking about heading there this weekend and wanted to get some insight from the locals.
Also, what noise laws are in effect for OK lakes? I have a 330hp 454 with non-switchable thru hull exhaust. Is it legal? We haven't experience any problems or complaints at Kaw lake, but we also haven't seen any shore patrol there also. Is there a dB limit like some other states?
KS, for now, is unrestricted.

DUECE'SDAD
07-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Do not, do not, do not put in at tall cheif cove, and dont even go over there, the gestapo will get you. I have heard that black dawg is the place to go, im sure the others will tell you more, there are some guys on the boards that boat and live there, but i speak from experience on tal cheif, driving 1 1/2 hours to be told dont even put that boat with o/t and baffles in this lake ever ! ! I dont belive in luck, but GOOD LUCK, its worth a try ! ! !

ECeptor
07-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Soooo, there is a noise law in OK or are they just picky?

progplb
07-26-2005, 10:36 AM
He said he had thru hull exaust ... From what I have seen on all of the Ok lakes that I have been on the lake patrols seem to be a lot more forgiving on boats with thru hull exaust vs. over transom headers.
( I guess they don't look near as intimedating ) You can have a crown line with the captains call open with no water and no baffles .

ECeptor
07-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Mine is a Chapparral Villain III. Thru hull with integrated swim platform over top the exhaust. It's loud, but not insanely loud.
I'm just trying to avoid any local policies at Skiatook and certainly avoid any tickets due to OK state laws.

ONAROLL
07-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Skiatook is a very nice lake, I have been to BlackDog several times without ever seeing a lake patrol, but then again I stay on north side of the bridge with open headers and I think I pay alot of attention before I open it up, OkieDave lives on it and he warned me about the Lake Patrol, he knows all these guys, I think its one of the prettiest lakes around with the big red rock formations and alot of private coves. with your boat you should not have any trouble, over the transom headers are a magnet for cops with nothing to do....02......Vic

OkieDave
07-27-2005, 05:27 AM
Very nice water. an overzealous water cop but he's starting to mellow a little. don't launch at Tall Chief, go to Osage Park or Black Dog or Twin Points. we are having a Poker Run on the 13th of aug. I am there most weekends and some week days in my yellow cat. 26' Firehawk. pretty loud and the patrol doesn't bother me. go to the island that you can see from the highway 20 bridge.
here is an e-mail I got from our legislator regarding noise law in Oklahoma.
Joe, I don't know if Oklahoma is affected or not. There have been recent rumors about new noise laws for boats being a federal law. I think it may be just California. The supposed new law limits the decible level for boats at 90. According to march issue of Popular Mechanics magazine, the decible level of new lawn mowers ranges from 94 to 99.5. I hope Oklahoma isn't going to enact similar legislation that would render a large number of boats new and used, illegal to operate. Do you know of any pending or recent legislation for Oklahoma boaters? or if there is a federal law that would affect us? also, what is the current law in Oklahoma regarding noise limits on boats?
thanks a million!
David Truelove
Director of Community Development
Town of Skiatook
Mr. Trulove:
There was a bill filed in the House of Representatives that would have regulated the noise level for boats on Oklahoma lakes. The author of HB1328 has since withdrawn the bill, making it dead.
If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Representative Joe Sweeden
House District 36
2300 N. Lincoln Blvd., Rm. 508
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
405-557-7322 or 800-522-8502
joesweeden@okhouse.gov

Seadog
07-27-2005, 05:36 AM
Skiatook is a great lake to boat, but when you are not muffled, you are at risk. In Oklahoma, like most states, you are not allowed to run open exhaust. Enforcement is dependent on the officer. You may get lucky and you may not. I will guarantee that if you do anything that they deem unsafe, they will yank you off the lake in a heartbeat.

Pee Dub
07-27-2005, 07:02 AM
Have had no hassles to speak of on Tenkiller. Over the last 10 years I have had 2 warnings while running with no baffles of any kind. The last time was year before last when we were racing three abreast in our local cove and someone turned us in. The Lake Patrol said there were no laws against lining up and racing as long as we weren't endangering anyone else. What he had a problem with was absolutely NO mufflers. I installed 1 twist of some Basset style baffles and have had no problem since. Still pinch up every time I see the Lake Patrol because it is still a judgement call.

ECeptor
07-30-2005, 08:51 AM
Hominy Landing is the closest ramp coming from Wichita, so I'll put in there unless you guys advise otherwise. I think we are going to do a day trip, but should have plenty of time on the water.
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Carnivalride
07-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
Have Fun Ed!! :D :D :D Oh yea enjoy yourself and be safe too! :D

ECeptor
07-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Have Fun Ed!! :D :D :D Oh yea enjoy yourself and be safe too! :D
I'm still waiting for you to call when you get your boat on the water...any ETA on that?

ECeptor
07-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Here's the skinny from http://boat-ed.com/ok/handbook/
"Mufflers
All boat engines must have a factory-installed muffler or exhaust water manifold for noise reduction or another effective muffling system. Excessive noise can prevent a boat operator from hearing signals and voices.
You are prohibited from:
• Using cutouts
• Removing mufflers or muffler baffles
• Cutting or punching holes in mufflers
• Modify the original muffler or muffling system in a way which increases noise level."
I wonder if my wet exhaust manifolds count as "exhaust water manifold" and are therefore legal?

SmokinLowriderSS
07-30-2005, 08:53 PM
They should be OK. 27 years my Taylor SS has been haunting Grand, Texoma, Kaw res, and recently found Broken Bow. Never been pulled over, never had a problem. Indmar 330HP 454 recently upgraded to just over 400HP.

Carnivalride
08-02-2005, 03:53 AM
I'm still waiting for you to call when you get your boat on the water...any ETA on that?
Got the new pushrods in fri, had to work sat, then go out microwave shoping with the wife. :mad: After I did yard work sun I started back on it. Still hoing to have it running this week but I can't ever get anything done when I want so who knows???? :eat: :eat:

beyondhelpin
08-04-2005, 10:08 PM
I have been running the same setup you are running for years and have never had a problem. Skiatook is a nice lake. Pretty clear too. I usally put in at Skiatook Point. Good ramp and never to busy. I have a white and red Vindicator with a checkered flag running down the back. Holler at us if you see us.

ECeptor
08-05-2005, 06:10 PM
I have been running the same setup you are running for years and have never had a problem. Skiatook is a nice lake. Pretty clear too. I usally put in at Skiatook Point. Good ramp and never to busy. I have a white and red Vindicator with a checkered flag running down the back. Holler at us if you see us.
We had a good time last weekend. Great lake. We'll be back sometime and I'll be on the lookout for your Vinny.
-E