PDA

View Full Version : Waterneck on a BBF Question

CautionStayBack200FT
07-26-2005, 06:45 AM
The water neck I'm running on my 460 is so close to the distributor that it's hard to turn and I can't get enough turn to set the timing where I need it. The distributor is a MSD Billet. I don't know the brand of the waterneck, but it's a polished water neck with 4 inlet/outs and a plastic pressure valve in it. The intake is a new Torker II.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Moneypitt
07-26-2005, 07:23 AM
Rotate the wires one hole on the cap. This will give you the additional movement that is needed to set the timing where you want it........MP

hack job
07-26-2005, 08:08 AM
The water neck I'm running on my 460 is so close to the distributor that it's hard to turn and I can't get enough turn to set the timing where I need it. The distributor is a MSD Billet. I don't know the brand of the waterneck, but it's a polished water neck with 4 inlet/outs and a plastic pressure valve in it. The intake is a new Torker II.
Has anyone else had this problem?
which msd # do you have? i have the 8577 and the reason i bought this one was my old one hit the intake ( tunnel ram) and this one is the small cap one.

CautionStayBack200FT
07-26-2005, 08:36 AM
which msd # do you have? i have the 8577 and the reason i bought this one was my old one hit the intake ( tunnel ram) and this one is the small cap one.
I'm running the 8577. I had to machine the side of the waterneck to get where I'm at now. Which is extremely tight. I'm afraid to make the side to thin and risk blow out. Machining the distributor is out of the question, because they touch at the cap seat area.
Changing my wiring won't help. There is still going to be to much tension to adjust the timing.
I've used the same distributor and water neck on a different intake before without clearance issue.
I just dug these boats out of storage last year and decided the time was right for a pair of father and son projects. After getting them out I realized someone broke in last summer and stole both of my aluminum intakes. Which I can't for the life of me remember which ones they were or I'd just buy those again.
What style/brand of water necks are you guys using?
Thanks for any help!

hack job
07-26-2005, 08:54 AM
iam useing this one
water neck (http://rexmar.com/page162.html)
its part #
390 143
hope this helps

CautionStayBack200FT
07-26-2005, 09:11 AM
I just found the papers on it. It's a 27030 water neck from Glenwood http://www.glenwoodmarine.net/Catalog/WATER.pdf
Now I remember why I used this set up. It's because I kept blowing freeze plugs out. I think they sold me a thermostat relocator with it so it doesn't mount directly to the intake. My age is getting the best of me and I'm only 35. To many projects might also be the cause.
Hack, have you had plugs blow out under pressure with your set up?

hack job
07-26-2005, 10:14 AM
I just found the papers on it. It's a 27030 water neck from Glenwood http://www.glenwoodmarine.net/Catalog/WATER.pdf
Now I remember why I used this set up. It's because I kept blowing freeze plugs out. I think they sold me a thermostat relocator with it so it doesn't mount directly to the intake. My age is getting the best of me and I'm only 35. To many projects might also be the cause.
Hack, have you had plugs blow out under pressure with your set up?
no cause i have a pressure regulator on my water inlet from the pump. if your loading the water that hard in to your motor i would consider one as well. i believe mine was about 13 lbs total block pressure.

CautionStayBack200FT
07-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Tyson,
Looks like I'll get a regulator and be done with it.
Thanks for the insight.
Jason