PDA

View Full Version : prlong

moomba
08-17-2001, 11:10 AM
Anyone use Prolong in there oil? I have read on the net that boaters use this. Also, how cold can a 40w oil be used? Is 60 degree air too cold?
[This message has been edited by moomba (edited August 17, 2001).]

rivercrazy
08-17-2001, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't touch this stuff. I used it one and spun rod and cam bearings. Not sure if its directly attributed to use of Prolong. However, I added it right before then went.
I would use fully synthetic oil instead.

moomba
08-17-2001, 11:38 AM
I would use fully synthetic oil instead.[/B][/QUOTE]
I was told to use a straight 30 or 40, not to use a multigrade. What weight should i use? How is Royal Purple? it is a multigrade - right?

rivercrazy
08-20-2001, 07:35 AM
Its hard to find a strait weight synthetic. Use the highest you can find. I use 20W50 and it works really well. I don't know that much about Royal Purple. I've been using Valvoline full Syn.

bajaruner
08-30-2001, 09:28 PM
I used prolong once and lost the lower end on a bbc. my belief was that it caused some kind of seperation on the crank journals after the prolong coated them it would not let the oil (40w valvoline hd at the time) continue to prevent friction between the journals and bearing in esence causing a no or little oil presure symtom. In other words it caused the oil to rush off the metal surfaces and wash out my bearings. Just my stupid two cents.