PDA

View Full Version : Mallory YL Conversion ?

Slick
09-25-2002, 07:44 AM
I'm running a Mallory Marine, single-point, non tach drive distributer. I'd like to install one of the conversion kits. Mallory offers two different kits. One is a Unilite Breakerless conversion and the other is a Magnetic Breakerless conversion.
What would be the advantages and disadvantages of either Unilite and Magnetic? Is one more desireable than the other?
Thanks
Slick

BBC502
09-25-2002, 11:13 AM
You might want to consider the Magnetic vs. the Unilite or Pertronix makes a unit that fits. I have a Unilite and have replaced it several times. There are to many don't does when using the Unilite like battery jumping. I have several friends who haven't had to replace the Unilite module in a couple years. My .02 worth...Bill

SeaYaBye
09-25-2002, 11:59 AM
Slick..I've used the Pertronix conversion in my Presolite Marine distributor for 2 years now with no problems!! They now offer a IgnitorII that is suppost to give 3 to 5 times more spark between 3000 to 5000 rpm. Its' about the same price as the Unilite [through Summit] and the installation is slick..you just repalce the whole top plate in your distributor and use your regular cap and rotor! Just a thought[sorry,I sound like an add] T.R.C. :D

Jordy
09-25-2002, 01:02 PM
I'd go with the magnetic. Some of the drop in replacements I have seen, and I don't know if these are that style, but use an infra red beam and a shutter wheel to trigger the spark. Too much to go wrong there in my opinion. I have a Pertronix distributor, with the small cap, sitting in my shop. I also have an HEI distributor out there too.
Jordy :D

Slick
09-25-2002, 01:52 PM
So what you're saying is I should just stop by and raid your garage like usual :D

Hustler
09-25-2002, 01:57 PM
So Slick, Where do we stand right now? is the motor in? could it possibly see water this year? wink

78Eliminator
09-25-2002, 03:13 PM
Hustler:
So Slick, Where do we stand right now? is the motor in? could it possibly see water this year? wink I doubt it. If he maybe stopped smoking so much and spent the cigarette money on parts, he might have been running a few months ago.
[ September 25, 2002, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

Slick
09-26-2002, 09:41 AM
Or maybe I shouldn't let you bum them off me when you get too drunk to realize you're smoking.
Hustler, I'm installing carpet these days. It's going to be a red Biatch. I'll put some pics up in the next couple days.