PDA

View Full Version : What GPS reads over 100mph??

DetroitJim
08-22-2001, 05:13 PM
Lokking for any info as to what hand held gps to buy that will read higher speeds. The Garmin website and manuals don't tell. I saw that the etrex has 2 digits for speed, but have heard that some only go to 88 mph? I definitely need one with a telltale max speed, driving a flat at 90+ is too scary to be looking at a gage!!!
DetroitJim

skijake
08-23-2001, 08:43 AM
I have a garmin E-map handheld That I'm attaching to a Gaffrig performance GPS head unit.
I don't have the boat going yet but from what I'm told this should work perfect.
I have used the E-map in the car and it does go over 100, but that is a differant story.
There are several things that you need to have for it to adapt to the gps speedo head unit on your boat so you should call the manufactor before you buy
Good Luck

***boat
08-23-2001, 07:45 PM
I have a Garmin eTrex. Its dot-matrix display shows only as many digits as it needs to. So if you're doing double digits, then you'll see double digits, but beyond 100 you'll see three digits -- or more if you can do Mach 1.5! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
08-25-2001, 03:42 PM
Hey Detroit.....Do you ever see merlin products or Dart stuff up there for sale? I am always searchin for stuff and every bit helps. As far as the gps thing........Gaffrig has introduced a new setup and it is VERY accurate. It is a gauge that mounts in or on the dashboard area of your boat and it is hooked up via GPS. A boat I work on alot has one from the factory (Fountain) and it is extremely accurate. Its really a pretty slick deal. I am not a huge fan of gaffrig, only because I use Autometer ultralite racing gauges in my blown drag boat but it sounds like its perfect for guys that want or need a gps style gauge. I prefer using a stalker radar gun when trying to get speed info but thats what I like. Hope it helps. LEt me know about parts for sale in your area. Thanks