PDA

View Full Version : Very bad day!!!

460 WJ
07-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Went to try out the new impeller today. Got the motor warmed up. Layed into her really slow at 5000 rpm's the motor just stopped. I got towed back to the launch to find my new impeller is now in five chuncks of scrap aluminum. Sucks really bad.. :mad: :frown:

BigBlockBaja
07-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Oh damn! Check your thrust bearing..posibly it went and the whole impellor and shaft went foward and let hell break loose.. Maybe the impellor nut cam loose?

460 WJ
07-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Oh damn! Check your thrust bearing..posibly it went and the whole impellor and shaft went foward and let hell break loose.. Maybe the impellor nut cam loose?
THe thrust bearing seems to be fine. I know the nut was tight I had to cut it off.. To much rpm and power for a aluminum impeller I guess.. The boat was fine with a Jacuzzi "B" running at 5000 rpm's. Then the "C" crumbles.. I luckly got my hands on a SS "C" for a Jacuzzi...$400.00 seamed to be a good price..

BigBlockBaja
07-26-2005, 05:31 PM
THe thrust bearing seems to be fine. I know the nut was tight I had to cut it off.. To much rpm and power for a aluminum impeller I guess.. The boat was fine with a Jacuzzi "B" running at 5000 rpm's. Then the "C" crumbles.. I luckly got my hands on a SS "C" for a Jacuzzi...$400.00 seamed to be a good price..
400 for a ss isnt bad.. But its a jacuzzi.....

460 WJ
07-26-2005, 05:41 PM
400 for a ss isnt bad.. But its a jacuzzi.....
And what is wrong with that it is a jacuzzi not panther..
The pump has over $3000. in upgrades.. The impeller was the weekest link.. I couldn't find a SS before. I just got lucky..
My jacuzzi has a ride plate, droop, place diverter, grate,now SS impeller, Cut down shaft, opened bowl..
American turbine told me don't bother buying there shit it would not go any faster. Just easyer to find replacement parts..

BigBlockBaja
07-26-2005, 05:53 PM
And what is wrong with that it is a jacuzzi not panther..
The pump has over $3000. in upgrades.. The impeller was the weekest link.. I couldn't find a SS before. I just got lucky..
My jacuzzi has a ride plate, droop, place diverter, grate,now SS impeller, Cut down shaft, opened bowl..
American turbine told me don't bother buying there shit it would not go any faster. Just easyer to find replacement parts..
Just busting your chops... Nothing Is wrong with them. From what I heard here on the boards, they are a very reliable pump..

BrendellaJet
07-26-2005, 06:03 PM
how much power? Just curious? Ive got an aluminum MPD prepped B impeller, but Im planning on putting 800 hp to it. Ive also got a stainless A just in case.
The Jacuzzi impeller actually has more metal in it than the competition with the addition of the 5th blade...

460 WJ
07-26-2005, 06:11 PM
how much power? Just curious? Ive got an aluminum MPD prepped B impeller, but Im planning on putting 800 hp to it. Ive also got a stainless A just in case.
The Jacuzzi impeller actually has more metal in it than the competition with the addition of the 5th blade...
460F it is in the 500's. I think it was to many rpm's.. I would use the SS. I got very lucky.

BrendellaJet
07-26-2005, 08:17 PM
5000 too much? Im guessing something else was wrong...I've heard of them lasting with no probs at 700hp.

Bottle Fed
07-26-2005, 09:48 PM
I had a 18' brendella picklefork with a jacuzzi pump. it had the good 4 blade aluminum impellar in it and I had 600hp with a 150 shot on it and it ran that way till I sold it last year. It turned about 5200 rpm on the motor and 5600 on the bottle. It ran 85 mph as well. Jacuzzis are good pumps, just not as many hotrod parts for them.

helter skelter
07-26-2005, 09:55 PM
I had a 18' brendella picklefork with a jacuzzi pump. it had the good 4 blade aluminum impellar in it and I had 600hp with a 150 shot on it and it ran that way till I sold it last year. It turned about 5200 rpm on the motor and 5600 on the bottle. It ran 85 mph as well. Jacuzzis are good pumps, just not as many hotrod parts for them.
Hey there... you're still supposed to be sitting in the "corner of shame" for what you did with that boat in your avitar.

wrightnow
07-26-2005, 09:55 PM
I'm sure 800hp to a B aluminum impeller will be asking for trouble, I ran a MPD aluminum B impeller with about 600hp and it did let go after about 4 years turing 5600 rpm.
Go with the stainless if you have it already, you will be glad you did in the long run..
Mark

460 WJ
07-27-2005, 01:19 AM
I had thought all Jacuzzi impeller's were 5 blade?

BrendellaJet
07-27-2005, 05:29 AM
No, there have been a few 4 blade's, I dont know if they were the "good one's" though...I believe they were prototypes, although it is possible to put other brand impellers in a WJ with some mods...

SmokinLowriderSS
07-27-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm likely to suspect running on some cavitation at some point did it in.
Run the Steel against 800 HP. You'll grenade the AL sooner or later, and I'd bet on sooner.