PDA

View Full Version : milk shake

Tresguey
07-26-2005, 05:36 PM
my buddy was going to top off his oil in his bowl and when he pulled the bottom plug found milk shake and water was just dumping out of it. what does this mean?

BigBlockBaja
07-26-2005, 05:40 PM
my buddy was going to top off his oil in his bowl and when he pulled the bottom plug found milk shake and water was just dumping out of it. what does this mean?
Honestly... It means he either should change it more often, or the seal inside the bowl is shot.

Tresguey
07-26-2005, 05:43 PM
i have another post about the pump sounding like it knocks to. we thought we should grease all the zerts and check oil level is how we found it.

BigBlockBaja
07-26-2005, 05:50 PM
i have another post about the pump sounding like it knocks to. we thought we should grease all the zerts and check oil level is how we found it.
If thats the case, how about getting a hold of duane from HTP and just order a rebuild kit.. That way you KNOW its good to go...

Tresguey
07-26-2005, 05:52 PM
we are new to jet boats and have never rebuild a pump. is it very hard. we are very mechanicly inclined.

BigBlockBaja
07-26-2005, 06:09 PM
we are new to jet boats and have never rebuild a pump. is it very hard. we are very mechanicly inclined.
Its cake... Hardest part it pressing off the old thrust bearing and pressing on the new one.. I did mine in an hour or 2 minus the pressing part.

Tresguey
07-26-2005, 06:37 PM
found the knocking problem! we first draianed the pump oil. just the plug had milk shake all in it. the rest of the oil was clean. fired it up again and it sounded like top end. so we pulled the valve covers and found a push rod laying across the lifters. hehehe i told him to double check the rockers. good news is he was gonna put a new intake on and there is no damage. now maybe he will listen to me more often. am may swing him over to Chevy yet!

Cas
07-26-2005, 07:43 PM
before putting it back together, make sure the retaining clip on the lifter isn't damaged and that it is properly clipped in. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, didn't notice the clip and it let loose a couple of outings later.

Tresguey
07-26-2005, 07:57 PM
will do. is there anything we should do to the bolts to keep them from coming loose? cuz im a Chevy guy and he is a Mopar guy. this is our first ford build and we thought we did ok.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-27-2005, 04:47 PM
If a rocker nut backed off causing the pushrod to get loose, PolyLocks. They'll not make that fau-paus again after that instalation.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Oh, wait a min .......... didn't see the "F$#D motor" part. :D
I know nothing about them. :eat:

460 jus getn it
07-27-2005, 04:52 PM
If a rocker nut backed off causing the pushrod to get loose, PolyLocks. They'll not make that fau-paus again after that instalation.
i had this happen. do your self a favor get poly locks. it will save you some seriuos cash in the long run..............

Tresguey
07-27-2005, 09:34 PM
well i will tell my buddy to do this. he may as well since he needs to rebuild again! another problem occured today and i started a new post for him.

1978 Rogers
07-28-2005, 06:37 AM
The oil is no big deal. Water gets in them all from the force going through the pump. The bowls on the berkeleys have bushings with a little clearance between the shaft. There aren't bearings in the bowl. Just make sure you flush out the water before winter. My bowl cracked on the inside from the water freezing. My .02 and the opinion of the shop up here.