PDA

View Full Version : While we're making name suggestions...

SnoopJonnyJon
05-03-2006, 09:40 PM
I've got a 1992 Ranger that I am going to do up this summer. I've had the truck since I was in grade 12. Its a regular cab 2wd. Its getting a blue metalflake paint job. I'm still not entirely certain how it will come out. With metalflake it could either go with a 60's Kustom style with Astro Supreme's and Wide whites, or it could go lowrider with hundred spoke Daytons. Either way, I was thinking I would like to name the car and do some silver leaf, pinstriping and possibly a mural. I'd like to give the truck a name, but its gotta be tasteful. The truck got me through engineering, so my dad thinks I should name it "Iron Ring" since in Canada every engineer gets an iron ring when they graduate (not sure if they do the same in USA). I'm now working for Case New Holland, designing combines, if that gives ya any ideas.
BTW, I'm going to name my El Camino "The Flying Spoon"... seems like an appropriate name comsidering the shape of an El Camino. Could be a good name for a flat bottom too.
Thanks in advance.

Jordy
05-03-2006, 09:51 PM
"Waste of Money" :D
Sorry, that's the best I can come up with on short notice. :D :D :D

SnoopJonnyJon
05-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Yeah yeah, I know it is... its just the sentimental value of it to me. It's a $1000 truck and if I sick $10,000 into it, it might become a $3000 truck :p .

JetBoatRich
05-04-2006, 04:13 AM
You did say it was a Ranger :rolleyes: are they considered trucks :rolleyes:
Flying Spoon :supp:

RAMROD
05-04-2006, 05:50 AM
You did say it was a Ranger :rolleyes: are they considered trucks :rolleyes:
Flying Spoon :supp:
I'm not sure, but isn't the 92 Ranger a full size truck, before they went to the smaller version?

SnoopJonnyJon
05-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Its a minitruck. The last year they were square before going to the rounded version. This summer I will be doing a V8 swap in it.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13320&stc=1
Thats the current configuration... getting sick of it.
The more I think about the more I think I might just call it "waste of money".... has a good ring to it. :p

Her454
05-04-2006, 10:31 AM
ROTFLMAO! Thanks J- I needed that today. :rollside:

Mrs. Grunion
05-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Better lay that thing on the ground..

SnoopJonnyJon
05-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Better lay that thing on the ground..
I'd love to throw some 100-spokes and hydros in it, but i need the box for hauling around my motorcycles. So I can't load the box up with batteries and pumps :(. Been thinking I might keep this one a bit more performance-oriented.... I'd like to get a late-model Town Car to scrape pavement and lay sparks with :p

FMluvswater
05-04-2006, 10:46 AM
I've got a 1992 Ranger that I am going to do up this summer. I've had the truck since I was in grade 12. Its a regular cab 2wd. Its getting a blue metalflake paint job. I'm still not entirely certain how it will come out. With metalflake it could either go with a 60's Kustom style with Astro Supreme's and Wide whites, or it could go lowrider with hundred spoke Daytons. Either way, I was thinking I would like to name the car and do some silver leaf, pinstriping and possibly a mural. I'd like to give the truck a name, but its gotta be tasteful. The truck got me through engineering, so my dad thinks I should name it "Iron Ring" since in Canada every engineer gets an iron ring when they graduate (not sure if they do the same in USA). I'm now working for Case New Holland, designing combines, if that gives ya any ideas.
BTW, I'm going to name my El Camino "The Flying Spoon"... seems like an appropriate name comsidering the shape of an El Camino. Could be a good name for a flat bottom too.
Thanks in advance.
I thought men's cars/trucks et cetera were supposed to have girl's names? Cuz when they threaten to not start you're supposed to sweet talk them ..."Come on Betsy turn over please?" :idea: No? :D

FMluvswater
05-04-2006, 10:50 AM
On that last note .. I just can't see you sweet talking "Iron Ring" or "Flying Spoon" for that matter. :D

SnoopJonnyJon
05-04-2006, 03:13 PM
On that last note .. I just can't see you sweet talking "Iron Ring" or "Flying Spoon" for that matter. :D
Can't see myself sweet talking it.... far more likely to start throwing F Bombs at it if it doesn't start :p.

SnoopJonnyJon
05-04-2006, 03:18 PM
I'd actually considered naming it the "F Bomb" but then I saw a T bucket rat rod named that. Had a mural of a pin-up girl riding a bomb painted on the cowl.

dmontzsta
05-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Lift it, get some good suspension, different front and rear fenders and drop a 5 liter in it. :D

MAINEVENT
05-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Fock it fiberglass the bitch and stick some kings shox on her and add the rear as a swing arm and add a LT frontend to widen it... then takes jordy's name... Just my.02

Deano
05-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Fock it fiberglass the bitch and stick some kings shox on her and add the rear as a swing arm and add a LT frontend to widen it... then takes jordy's name... Just my.02
all that with the chili bowls on it would look siiiiick :)

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Its a minitruck. The last year they were square before going to the rounded version. This summer I will be doing a V8 swap in it.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13320&stc=1
Thats the current configuration... getting sick of it.
The more I think about the more I think I might just call it "waste of money".... has a good ring to it. :p
Love the exhaust tip!

SnoopJonnyJon
05-04-2006, 03:59 PM
I'd thought of going with the pre-runner look and having a lifted 2wd.... but i think I'd rather have it lowered... hopping would be best :) .
http://lowridermagazine.com/events/0502lrm_lasvegashop04z.jpg
http://lowridermagazine.com/events/0502lrm_lasvegashop05z.jpg
http://lowridermagazine.com/events/0307lrm_phoenixhop03_z.jpg
Apparently I am not the only retard that is amused by bouncing cars.

dmontzsta
05-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Your helpless.

SnoopJonnyJon
05-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Love the exhaust tip!
You think thats bad... you should see it now!!! Removed the muffler, running a straight pipe, right out the center in the back. Delightfully tasteless... extremely loud.

kcvega
05-04-2006, 04:06 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e105/kcvega/clockerwheelie.jpg I like bouncing cars too. Just done a little different.

SnoopJonnyJon
05-04-2006, 04:10 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e105/kcvega/clockerwheelie.jpg I like bouncing cars too. Just done a little different.
Don't think I am not into that as well... never had a car fast enough to wheelie, but I spend most of my time on my motorcycles up on one.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13329&stc=1
I gotta get a decent one of doing one on my Ninja... all I have is a pic of my old tricycle.

Deano
05-04-2006, 04:14 PM
man, that shit is funny.
Id put some big accumulators on there and make that bitch do a back flip

dragboat
05-04-2006, 05:27 PM
So make with the photoshop already!

hoolign
05-04-2006, 05:31 PM
And they say they are stopping the flow of drugs from B.C. to the east :rolleyes:

SnoopJonnyJon
05-04-2006, 05:33 PM
So make with the photoshop already! I got a photoshop of my GTA done on the LS1tech.com site.... decided to keep the stock rims. :220v:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13444&stc=1

SnoopJonnyJon
05-04-2006, 05:39 PM
And they say they are stopping the flow of drugs from B.C. to the east :rolleyes:
I'm a farm boy engineer working for Case New Holland. Don't do drugs, never have... never even have drank alcohol. :p

SnoopJonnyJon
05-05-2006, 03:16 PM
any other suggestions than "waste of money"? :p

PowellScooter
05-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Well ......since its a Ranger and you are doing it metalflake, and you like boating why not score some side decals from a Ranger bass boat and do it Ranger Bass Truck style, heavy flake, striped naugahyde upholstery etc ?

SnoopJonnyJon
05-05-2006, 04:30 PM
I kinda like that idea.

Ziggy
05-05-2006, 05:42 PM
I'd thought of going with the pre-runner look and having a lifted 2wd.... but i think I'd rather have it lowered... hopping would be best :) .
http://lowridermagazine.com/events/0502lrm_lasvegashop04z.jpg
http://lowridermagazine.com/events/0502lrm_lasvegashop05z.jpg
http://lowridermagazine.com/events/0307lrm_phoenixhop03_z.jpg
Apparently I am not the only retard that is amused by bouncing cars.
Oh yeah, this looks real usefull :rolleyes:
If you're into "wasting of money" why not just see how far it'll fly off a cliff or something...no more investment needed to do that :rollside: more entrtainment value, especially if it goes boom :p

SnoopJonnyJon
05-05-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm not actually going to lowride it. I like the look, but It needs to be my daily transport around here and I don't have the time to clean 400 spokes. I'm not certain exactly what I will get, but I suspect one of the more classic mags, ie. Torq-thrust D, Cragar S/S, Astro Supreme, Keystones, Radirs, etc. And probably whitewalls. This car is about the color and similar paint scheme I would like to go with. Love the wheel choice too. A lot of the lowriders really aren't that much different than leadsleds if you just took the 100 spokes off and put on wide whites.
http://radirwheels.com/tradlolo1.jpg

SnoopJonnyJon
05-06-2006, 02:13 PM
I had a thought for a name for it while showering this morning. "Cash, No Receipts" since thats how I will be getting any work done.

FMluvswater
05-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Depreciates Daily (Didi for short :D )

SnoopJonnyJon
05-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Depreciates Daily (Didi for short :D )
Doesn't matter to me, I'm never selling it or anything else I ever own. I sold a video game when i was in grade 4 and it bothered me for years. Thats the only thing I have ever sold.

FMluvswater
05-06-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm just messing around, bud. I know less about trucks than I do about boats! :eek: It's your toy have fun with it however you like! :cool:

SnoopJonnyJon
05-06-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm just messing around, bud. I know less about trucks than I do about boats! :eek: It's your toy have fun with it however you like! :cool:
Don't worry, I wasn't taking offense. I realize its not a rare or particularly desirable vehicle. I'm just one of those guys that falls in love with any old junk he has around. I can't part with anything. I still have every motorcycle (14) I've owned since I was a little kid. Wash em all up and take them each out once a year at least. So here I am finally finished my education with a decent job. I was going to buy a new truck, but I just didn't know what to do with the old Ranger. If I tried to sell it, it would crush me to see some high school kid bagging it and see it totalled off at a wreckers. And that is what would happen. Only a high school kid would want the thing as it is now. Plus, I would have to practically give it away. Might get $1500 for it. The other option would be to just mothball it in the corner of the pasture, but then I'd watch it get eaten by mice and rust out. It would bother me everytime I saw it. So... basically, the only way I can avoid getting an ulcer over the truck is to sink the value of a new truck into it. When I am done i will have a truck that will be faster, have better paint, and much better stereo :) than any new truck I could afford. Plus, I will know every square inch of it. So much easier to fix an engine if you built it and wired it yourself. It will be a several-year project, but it should be fun. Most people won't appreciate it, but I really don't care.

FMluvswater
05-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Don't worry, I wasn't taking offense. I realize its not a rare or particularly desirable vehicle. I'm just one of those guys that falls in love with any old junk he has around. I can't part with anything. I still have every motorcycle (14) I've owned since I was a little kid. Wash em all up and take them each out once a year at least. So here I am finally finished my education with a decent job. I was going to buy a new truck, but I just didn't know what to do with the old Ranger. If I tried to sell it, it would crush me to see some high school kid bagging it and see it totalled off at a wreckers. And that is what would happen. Only a high school kid would want the thing as it is now. Plus, I would have to practically give it away. Might get $1500 for it. The other option would be to just mothball it in the corner of the pasture, but then I'd watch it get eaten by mice and rust out. It would bother me everytime I saw it. So... basically, the only way I can avoid getting an ulcer over the truck is to sink the value of a new truck into it. When I am done i will have a truck that will be faster, have better paint, and much better stereo :) than any new truck I could afford. Plus, I will know every square inch of it. So much easier to fix an engine if you built it and wired it yourself. It will be a several-year project, but it should be fun. Most people won't appreciate it, but I really don't care.
Well there you go! :cool: Long as you're happy ... just do it. :smile:

SOMEBEACH
05-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Do they have "Pick A Part" out there ? :D

SnoopJonnyJon
05-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Do they have "Pick A Part" out there ? :D
There's one decent self-serve wrecker around here called "Buck's Auto Parts". They are the only place that has fair prices around here. That is likely where i will get the 302 and transmission from.

SnoopJonnyJon
05-07-2006, 08:56 PM
So I was out at the wreckers today grabbing some old parts for my studebaker and when I get back into town this guy in a 2004 cavalier chases me down, flags me over and says he wants to buy my truck. After talking for a while he tells me that he would give me $3500!!!!!! I didn't agree to it on the spot, but man is it tempting. I figure that is about double than the thing is actually worth, but I really wasn't looking to sell. I was just starting to get excited about doing it up and starting to gather parts for it.

SnoopJonnyJon
05-14-2006, 09:53 AM
So this week I gave the go-ahead on doing the truck. I spent a couple evenings with the bodyman going over ideas and discussing costs, etc. He is currently doing a 68 camaro that was rusted badly. He told me that the only panel he saved was the roof. I thought it was an exaggeration, but went over and looked at it last night. HOLY SHIT, he wasn't kidding, even the inner dash structure was rusty. I got a good look at his abilities though, as he was about 1/2 done the car. It looked like he was doing a very good job. He figures it will be about september when he gets done the camaro and can do my ranger. So I have a few months to save money and gather parts. The plan is now to going with a 60's vibe, trying to eliminate anything too modern from the truck. We're going to shave: door handles, locks, drip rails, all emblems, tailgate latch (flip to inside), and french the antenna. For taillights, the stock ones will be ditched in favor of mid-70's F-150 lights molded in. The stock mirrors will be shaved, with small, round chrome hot rod mirrors mounted above the window. The rear window area is going to be filled in with sheetmetal and then a smaller rear window from a 50's-60's truck will be installed. I figure the small window will really give it that older look. In front, the grille will be handmade, and round headlights will be installed. The bumper will be chromed. The interior will be blue metalflake tuck'n'roll bench seat with white piping. The carpeting will be ditched for rubber floor. Not sure about the dash yet. I would like to section a 1962 International dash to fit and use the International guages and steering column, but all of a sudden the whole truck would need to be rewired, the heater controls don't work and all that kinda stuff. Plus the $. Might just keep the stock dash for now. The engine will be a 302 with Holley Pro-jection. That way I can have EFI, but still be able to run an oil bath air cleaner to hide it. I'd thought of using 5.0 Ford injection, but no way to make it look old. Transmission will be either C4 or AOD, with a tall Lokar shifter, somewhere around shoulder height. The rear axle will be left as the stock 4.11 geared 7.5 inch, but when/if it blows I will put in a Winters Quickchange. Paticularly if I use a C4 it would be nice to have the ability to change rear gears for highway use. With an overdrive its less important. Wheels and tires will be 15 inch 5 spokes (Americans, Radirs, Astro Supremes, etc... don't really care which) with wide white wall bias plys. I'd like to put on bags or hydros while its in paint, but i don't know if i will have saved enough $ by then. If I do go hydros, it will NOT be a hopping setup... think George Barris kustom, not lowrider minitruck. Lots of leadsleds in the 60's ran simple up and down hydraulics. Paint will be 2 or 3 tone blue metalflake, POSSIBLY with a white vinyl top. Pinstriping and metalflake will be done under the clear.
Maybe now that I have a better set plan and a better description someone can come up with some more possible names. #1 is still "waste of money"

ahhell
05-14-2006, 10:24 AM
dude...take the 3500.00

SnoopJonnyJon
05-14-2006, 10:32 AM
dude...take the 3500.00
I'm pretty sure thats not gonna happen now.