PDA

View Full Version : F-16 Noise Complaint

OGShocker
07-27-2005, 05:44 AM
I thought I would share this with y'all..
Subject: F-16 Noise Complaint
Complaint:
Quote: A wake-up call from Luke's jets Jun. 23, 2005 12:00 AM
"Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 a.m., a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over
Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune! Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns' early-bird special? Any response would be appreciated."
The reply is classic, and a testament to the professionalism and heroism of the folks in the armed services. The response:
Quote:
Regarding "A wake-up call from Luke's jets" (Letters, Thursday): On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m., a perfectly timed four-ship of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt Jeremy Fresques.
Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day. At 9 a.m. on June 1 5, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend.
Based on the letter writer's recount of the flyby, and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the president of the United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured. A four-ship flyby is a display of respect the Air Force pays to those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.
The letter writer asks, "Whom do we thank for the morning air show?" The 56th Fighter Wing will call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.
Lt. Col. Scott Pleus
CO 63rd Fighter Squadron
Luke Air Force Base

riverbound
07-27-2005, 05:47 AM
:D

rivergoer
07-27-2005, 05:52 AM
damn idiots i guess there complaints didnt go far....

Coach
07-27-2005, 06:01 AM
Insert foot into mouth Now.
I can't speek for you guys, but every time I see any fly over it awesome. Last weekend at the river a jet flew over low, I love that.

Sleek-Jet
07-27-2005, 06:20 AM
To be fair to the idiot that wrote the first letter, he did eat crow and wrote an appology. Funny how no one ever posts that.
To his credit, the complainant, Mr. MacRae, tendered a written apology which was published in The Republic on 9 July:
Regarding "Flyby honoring fallen comrade" (Letters, June 28):
I read with increasing embarrassment and humility the response to my unfortunate letter to The Republic concerning an Air Force flyby ("A wake-up call from Luke's jets," Letters, June 23).
I had no idea of the significance of the flyby, and would never have insulted such a fine and respectful display had I known.
I have received many calls from the fine airmen who are serving or have served at Luke, and I have attempted to explain my side and apologized for any discomfort my letter has caused.
This was simply an uninformed citizen complaining about noise.
I have been made aware in both written and verbal communications of the four-ship flyby, and my heart goes out to each and every lost serviceman and woman in this war in which we are engaged.
I have been called un-American by an unknown caller and I feel that I must address that. I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran. I love my country and respect the jobs that the service organizations are doing.
Please accept my heartfelt apologies.
Tom MacRae, Peoria6
From snopes: http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

OGShocker
07-27-2005, 06:28 AM
To be fair to the idiot that wrote the first letter, he did eat crow and wrote an appology. Funny how no one ever posts that.
From snopes: http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp
Thank you for the update. :cool:

ahhell
07-27-2005, 06:31 AM
great reply from both side....but who the hell is still in bed at 9am :sleeping:

wsuwrhr
07-27-2005, 06:34 AM
Too many people are just looking for something to bitch about.
And to think the guy way and ex navyman, what a pussy to complain about an F-16 foursome flyby. I think it would be awesome.
Brian

Sleek-Jet
07-27-2005, 06:34 AM
great reply from both side....but who the hell is still in bed at 9am :sleeping:
I would like to be... :D

Mike.A
07-27-2005, 07:14 AM
Noise ?
I live less than 5 minutes from Luke and every morning, noon and evening I and my family are treated to the most amazing shows seeing these planes do their practice runs and come back in for meals, its like clock work.
The sound and feel of these planes makes the hair on my arms go nuts. It is truly awsome.

ratso
07-27-2005, 07:28 AM
Tom MacRae should try living near Crawford. I walk out and watch them everytime I hear them. We get a lot of Helicopters over when the Bush is in town too. :D

SummitKarl
07-27-2005, 07:53 AM
I woke up 3 mins early today :D

WaterBox
07-27-2005, 08:43 AM
There are two thing's that will always make me stop and look. A Harley rumbling past or a Jet flying over. :idea: Well maybe three things, T&A. :D All three are welcome at any time.

phebus
07-27-2005, 08:51 AM
I used to like the sign they had up near the El Toro air base:
THE SOUND OF FREEDOM

Rockdog
07-27-2005, 09:17 AM
WARNING! MASSIVE RANT ATTACK!
Nothing pisses me off more than these jagoffs that write in to the paper to complain about the jet noise from the air bases. What moron moves into an area next to an airport and doesn't expect to here the damn planes! I grew up in Colorado Springs and my house was in the landing path for the army base. Every time the cargo planes came in, it'd shake the pictures sideways on the wall. I never heard my parents complain. I live in Goodyear now, and I'm always happy to see and here the planes going over. The day after 9/11, the only thing you could here in the neighborhood was the F16's flying patrol - the neighborhood was dead silent, no cars, no planes, nothing. This guy as a former serviceman should never even thought about complaining. The base shouldn't have wasted time calling him, they should have just gone over, pulled him out of his house and beat the living crap out of him!
:burningm: :burningm: :burningm: :burningm: :burningm: :burningm: :burningm:

JustMVG
07-27-2005, 02:34 PM
While we were at Millerton this past week we had some F/A 18's going over, they wing waggled while we waved i gave them a nice roost with the jet and again they gave us some wing waggles and some of that awesome jet noise i love so much even a quick burner blast for us.
Thanks guys !!!!!!!

Chris Winn
07-27-2005, 03:48 PM
i like it any time that a military jet or helicopter fly by, thsi reminds you of the task they have at hand and the risk they take on a daily basis!
it is almost as stirring as when a convy of servicemen are on the freeway and wave when you give them the thumbs up :D it si important that they knwo we are there to support them and relize their sacrifice.
gives you something to think about!

Kilrtoy
07-27-2005, 03:59 PM
I think these clowns would rather hear MIG's flying over head and jane fonda at their door step

Red Horse
07-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Nothing like the sight and sound of augment from the ultimate high performance toy!!!! That truly is the sound of freedom.

SnakeWrench
07-27-2005, 04:45 PM
My best friends father was a career Helo pilot in the Army. He was shot down in Nam and was back in a chopper less than 24 hrs later doing med-evac's. He flew over 15,000 men back to safety, he also rescued 5 air force pilots in the Falks and was shot in the shoulder in the process, but still finished the flight before attending to his own wounds. When he passed a few years ago, It was like losing my dad all over again, because of the respect I had for him. To me, he was a hero, no matter what armed force he served in.
When Mike was buried, the Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Gaurd, and Army pilots did a 5 plane, 5 helo fly by in missing man delta formation. I cried that day, and still, when I see a military fly by of any sort, it is hard the hold back a tear for the men and women who gave the ultimate price. Don't complain about any military noise you hear, because without them, the noise you could hear is that of bombs killing your neighbor, your friends, or your family.