PDA

View Full Version : What SO CAL lake is going to be emptied by 40%

Punisher
07-27-2005, 02:48 PM
I just saw it on the news but didnt get the full details.I just heard that some so cal lake is going to be emptied by 40% to reduce lake size for safety :confused: ...Anyone else have info on this?

MOBrien
07-27-2005, 02:59 PM
no info, but that's rigoddamndiculous.
IMO a bigger lake is a safer lake.

Water Romper
07-27-2005, 03:01 PM
I haven’t heard of this….I find it hard to believe as these lakes are part of the water table replenishment program…they are all inner-linked to the aqueduct… Actually, there are quite a few lakes around here…not big ones but they are lakes…I wonder which one it would be… :confused:

Punisher
07-27-2005, 03:04 PM
i think its on channel 7 news at 5

SouthBay RB
07-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Here you go
Fearing a major quake could cause the earthen Perris Dam to fail, state water officials will lower the Riverside County lake about 25 feet to check the dam's stability.

SouthBay RB
07-27-2005, 03:41 PM
More INFO
PERRIS, RIVERSIDE COUNTY — Fearing a major quake could cause the earthen Perris Dam to fail, state water officials will lower the Riverside County lake about 25 feet to check the dam's stability.
It means Lake Perris will lose about half its water during the peak season for boaters, waterskiers and fishermen. But it's necessary because of a new report questioning the ability of the dam to withstand a large earthquake along the San Jacinto fault five miles to the east.
A spokeswoman for the California Department of Water Resources says 16 (b) billion gallons of water, or 42 percent of the lake's volume, will slowly trickle into the drinking water supply starting in mid-August and continuing for two months.
Emergency workers in Riverside County have begun updating evacuation plans for Perris, Canyon Lake, Lake Elsinore and Prado Dam near Corona.
An engineering analysis completed in late June showed the 31-year-old dam's foundation could have weaknesses in the event of a major earthquake.

Mrs. casean
07-27-2005, 03:41 PM
I read this today in the paper... scary thought!

BoatPI
07-27-2005, 03:47 PM
I wonder how many dirt bag bodies that they will find in the mud?

Kilrtoy
07-27-2005, 03:48 PM
909er's are not dirt bags......
just ask them :shift:

Mrs. casean
07-27-2005, 03:48 PM
I wonder how many dirt bag bodies that they will find in the mud?
Oh that's an awful though! But I'm sure there could be one or two!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Here you go
Fearing a major quake could cause the earthen Perris Dam to fail, state water officials will lower the Riverside County lake about 25 feet to check the dam's stability.
It was 25 feet between mid-August and mid-October, the other 25 feet will be after that, I guess.

JetBoatRich
07-27-2005, 04:06 PM
Better to check the DAM before it is to late :eek:

cxr133
07-27-2005, 04:11 PM
ummmm............... do fingerprints wear off of handguns if sitting in the lake for awhile :confused:
LOL :argue:

phebus
07-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Half of that water is piss. They should have to have a haz mat permit to release that water. :crossx:

Outnumbered
07-27-2005, 04:21 PM
They were going to do this to Lake Arrowhead after the 1971 quake. Needless to say it did not go over well with the homeowners. They ended up building another earth/rock dam behind the original and filled the gap with water to form another small lake--Papoose Lake.

Ziggy
07-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Half of that water is piss. They should have to have a haz mat permit to release that water. :crossx:
I was thinking along the same lines---probably a good time of the year to start draining that cesspool. Now some of them folks will have to drive to Smellsomemore to take their baths :hammerhea

Phat Matt
07-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Truth is it was to expensive to dredge for the diapers. :2purples:

riverroyal
07-27-2005, 05:21 PM
so all the perris boaters will be in havasu,,,hope my spinners dont get ripped off

advantage21
07-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Great Now Elsinore Will Get Loaded Up With A Bunch Of Retarded Boaters And Lake Lice.

Sportin' Wood
07-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Great Now Elsinore Will Get Loaded Up With A Bunch Of Retarded Boaters And Lake Lice.
Too Late.....

CA Stu
07-27-2005, 06:37 PM
I was thinking along the same lines---probably a good time of the year to start draining that cesspool. Now some of them folks will have to drive to Smellsomemore to take their baths :hammerhea
That's funny, I was boating out there yesterday and had a great time.
My wife even remarked now clear the water looks now.
I mean... "STAY AWAY! THE WATER IS FULL OF DIAPERS! AND THE DOG AT THE LAUNCH RAMP IS NEUTERED!" :hammerhea
That dam is never going to fail, you gotta be kidding me.
Thanks
CA Stu

Brooski
07-27-2005, 10:19 PM
No kidding too late. MrsBordsmnj has pictures to prove it!! :hammerhea

meaniam
07-27-2005, 10:29 PM
I just saw it on the news but didnt get the full details.I just heard that some so cal lake is going to be emptied by 40% to reduce lake size for safety :confused: ...Anyone else have info on this?
i think it was perris. something about earthquake vulnerbilty.
they should get rid of all the bacteria in there. a few years back had bad ear ache after swimming there

meaniam
07-27-2005, 10:35 PM
They were going to do this to Lake Arrowhead after the 1971 quake. Needless to say it did not go over well with the homeowners. They ended up building another earth/rock dam behind the original and filled the gap with water to form another small lake--Papoose Lake.
papoose lake now ther is some good fishing. and good skinny dipping that happens there. my buddy use to live behind that. i belive it called torrey road. get a couple of ladies and make some memories. to think that that damn was or is comprimised with those house back there.huhm

dmontzsta
07-27-2005, 10:54 PM
They need to hurry up and do this before a quake happens, have me all paranoid now. :D

Sportin' Wood
07-28-2005, 04:14 AM
They need to hurry up and do this before a quake happens, have me all paranoid now. :D
Did you hear that? Look out I think I hear something? Nope not an earthquake, just your equity dropping. Gotta love all the houses and a high school built right below the dam.

a catered life
07-28-2005, 06:03 AM
dam i got a good friend that lives out there..........that city has had some of the worse luck in the past 10 years from bankcrupty to a thriving community now a dam scare :yuk: good luck out there maybe they will find my sons jordans we lost last year out there :eek:

superdave013
07-28-2005, 06:09 AM
More INFO
A spokeswoman for the California Department of Water Resources says 16 (b) billion gallons of water, or 42 percent of the lake's volume, will slowly trickle into the drinking water supply starting in mid-August and continuing for two months.
Now that's a scary thought! Lake Perris & drinking water? :confused:

dmontzsta
07-28-2005, 06:19 AM
Did you hear that? Look out I think I hear something? Nope not an earthquake, just your equity dropping. Gotta love all the houses and a high school built right below the dam.
No, we are atleast a 15 minute drive from there. I am right here off the 60/215. :) Equity is INSANE! Bought this house for $89k it is now worth $380k.

a catered life
07-28-2005, 06:30 AM
if its so important to check the dam lets just empty it now damit why wait..........i forgot camping reservations at perris are booked until early september :eek:

Sportin' Wood
07-28-2005, 08:41 AM
No, we are atleast a 15 minute drive from there. I am right here off the 60/215. :) Equity is INSANE! Bought this house for $89k it is now worth $380k.
Right on! High ground I hope. I lived in moreno valley back in the late 80's last boom, then the town just popped and the equity leaked out.

dmontzsta
07-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Right on! High ground I hope. I lived in moreno valley back in the late 80's last boom, then the town just popped and the equity leaked out.
Yes...I know when we bought they said it was in no danger of a flood.
The 80s? I bet it was dead there. There is so much crap here now, this town is flooded, Starbucks and all that crap, it looks like Irvine, almost time to move out farther. They are getting ready to put up a super wal-mart here, next they will put up a damn Ikea.

Sportin' Wood
07-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Yes...I know when we bought they said it was in no danger of a flood.
The 80s? I bet it was dead there. There is so much crap here now, this town is flooded, Starbucks and all that crap, it looks like Irvine, almost time to move out farther. They are getting ready to put up a super wal-mart here, next they will put up a damn Ikea.
You should have seen it in the 70's :D

Wake Havasu
07-28-2005, 12:37 PM
so all the perris boaters will be in havasu,,,hope my spinners dont get ripped off
Just be sure to place a Raiders Nation sticker on your car and you should be fine!

dmontzsta
07-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Horse and buggy or what? :D

CA Stu
07-28-2005, 02:13 PM
There was no Moreno Valley in the 70's. :hammerhea
Back then , it was Sunnymead.
Thanks
CA Stu

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks
CA Stu
Actually, it was Scummymead. Before that, it was Edgemont.

CA Stu
07-28-2005, 03:13 PM
Actually, it was Scummymead. Before that, it was Edgemont.
Sorry, sugar.
Edgemont was west of Sunnymead.
2 distinct, separate communities.
I have lived in Riverside a looooooooong time.
Used to drive a '73 Pinto (Ferrari Pinto, of course) out to Sunnymead on a regular basis. We used to call it "driving to the moon" because in the summer, the full moon was right at the top of the hill and you drove straight into it.
Also, we were ususally stoned then.
Thanks
CA Stu

Sportin' Wood
07-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Horse and buggy or what? :D
Was some great races right about where the mall is now and there was plenty of horses running.

Sportin' Wood
07-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Thanks
CA Stu
Edgemont had that crappy convience store that sold the kick and goes, right near the track. Scummymead for sure. Kinda like the whole romoland homoland thing. Same town different names. like anyone was better off in one or the other? :D

CA Stu
07-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Edgemont had that crappy convience store that sold the kick and goes, right near the track. Scummymead for sure. Kinda like the whole romoland homoland thing. Same town different names. like anyone was better off in one or the other? :D
They had better :clover: weed :clover: in Edgemont.
I wish I bought up the whole ghetto in 1977.. All that land is worth a few pennies now...
Thanks
CA Stu

98 Vector 21
07-28-2005, 08:10 PM
That dam was built mostly by sand I belive?

shueman
07-28-2005, 08:31 PM
It's part of the aqueduct that feeds our homes.... :jawdrop:

dmontzsta
07-28-2005, 10:26 PM
They had better :clover: weed :clover: in Edgemont.
I wish I bought up the whole ghetto in 1977.. All that land is worth a few pennies now...
Thanks
CA Stu
You cant find houses for less than $300k now. :)

dirty old man
07-29-2005, 07:55 AM
I remember that lake from my younger days, but where will the water drain off too? Whats downstream or does it flow to the ocean? When I used to go there we used to drive past March AFB and turn left somewhere

Sportin' Wood
07-29-2005, 10:29 AM
I remember that lake from my younger days, but where will the water drain off too? Whats downstream or does it flow to the ocean? When I used to go there we used to drive past March AFB and turn left somewhere
It dumps out at a place the locals call the bubble. Spent many a drunkin' night there back in high school. We use to ride the waves with boogie boards and get hella wasted. From there it goes down to a little place that use to be called ski land and down to Canyon lake I think. Thats just the over flow mind you. So it looks like smellsomemore is getting some more water, unless they are gonna pump it down the water lines to lake mathews.