PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice Leaking Powerglide Yoke

Highlimit9000
07-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Changed Tailshaft when it cracked. Ran assembly without oiling line initially. Burned up bearing and seal. Had Yoke Polished put in new seal and bearing ran an oiling line off of tranny lines..And this is what i get when it runs. Going right through the seal...Never had this problem with old tranny tailshaft housing...Any Advise...Do they make a stronger seal for pressure? Should I change yoke assembly...this one seams to be hard to find...The top pick is in park running. The bottom 2 are with motor off...Sometimes I wish I had a T-400 in this boat. Would not have this problem...Any Advise?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/199Powerglideryoke.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/199Powerglideyoke1.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/199Powerglideyoke2.JPG

coolchange
07-27-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't know where your tappin in( I assume cooler line) But depending on what gear your in and your set up, your makin 140 to 250 psi. inthe trans and a pretty good number in the cooler lines too. I'm doin the same thing to a PG now and my bleeder line will have the size of a pin hole. The stock set up relies on gravity and sloshing around for lube so it doesn't take much. Maybe put a restricter in the line and drill a small ( .040 ) hole in it. I'm just guessin on the hole cuz I haven't determined mine yet. If yu ran a th400 with a tail shaft you would have had the same problem it just would have taken longer to burn up.

63stevens
07-27-2005, 06:49 PM
John you don't need much oil there. Put a plug in the line and then drill a small hole in it. 40 50 thousands should be enough

FlatStupid
07-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Throw powerglide overboard! :hammerhea

Highlimit9000
07-27-2005, 07:13 PM
Already have done that...Very Small hole...im thinking the yoke Dia is smaller when it got polished or burned alittle...I am gonna try another yoke and a fresh seal...Hopefully that solves it...Does it matter which cooler line I tap into? Pressure wise? I am in the top one of the 2...Thanks for Input..John

GofastRacer
07-27-2005, 07:14 PM
I agree throw the PG in the trash, but regardless you shouldn't have a leak, it looks like you have too much oil going to the seal and it can't handle it. Do as Rick says and it will take care of the leak!..

GofastRacer
07-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Already have done that...Very Small hole...im thinking the yoke Dia is smaller when it got polished or burned alittle...I am gonna try another yoke and a fresh seal...Hopefully that solves it...Does it matter which cooler line I tap into? Pressure wise? I am in the top one of the 2...Thanks for Input..John
Unless you took a heck of a lot off the diameter to polish it up, it shouldn't make a difference. You shouldn't have any pressure there just a dribble to lube the seal!..

Highlimit9000
07-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Just checked the hole Dia. 1/16 is that too much?

GofastRacer
07-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Well if you mean the yoke diameter, I don't have one to measure so I can't help on that one!. :frown:

Highlimit9000
07-27-2005, 07:50 PM
Well if you mean the yoke diameter, I don't have one to measure so I can't help on that one!. :frown:
oiling hole is Drilled at 1/16 drill bit...Probably too much as stated earlier 0.40 to 0.50 is all i need...Ill get a new plug and try that first...Thanks...You gonna be at CBBB?

coolchange
07-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Ya throw the PG overboard. Smallest, lightest, lowest parasitic loss... :rolleyes:

Highlimit9000
07-27-2005, 07:53 PM
John you don't need much oil there. Put a plug in the line and then drill a small hole in it. 40 50 thousands should be enough
Rick, thanks for the advice..Ill try that first...the hole i have in there now is 1/16 Drill bit...Are you gonna make it down to the Avi for that CBBB in Aug...Take care John

Highlimit9000
07-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Ya throw the PG overboard. Smallest, lightest, lowest parasitic loss... :rolleyes:
not really an option...Boat is sold...trying to fix little problems before it leaves...Still get to use it though whatta deal!!! My Schiada will have a T-400...you can count on it!!!

GofastRacer
07-27-2005, 07:58 PM
oiling hole is Drilled at 1/16 drill bit...Probably too much as stated earlier 0.40 to 0.50 is all i need...Ill get a new plug and try that first...Thanks...You gonna be at CBBB?
You're welcome, unfortunately got to much to do can't make it this time!.. :cry:

EXTREMEBOATS
07-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Corleone 17,
I have used Glides in several boats with great success.I think I see your problem. I run a yoke from a vett that only has a u-joint not a flange. The extra weight on the bushing is causeing your leak. I have never had to add extra lube to the yoke. And never had a leak. Even with a shorty tail and only 21/2" in the trans. Call if I can help, I have a bunch of pics you could look at.
Mike

63stevens
07-27-2005, 10:37 PM
A 1/16th drill bit is only .062. really not that big. Have you mic. the yoke and bushing inside the tail shaft? you might have to much play. do you notice any vibration? I don't even lube the tailshaft on the t400 in the stevens(Externally) and haven't had any seal failures. I think you have another problem. I don't think it's the size of the orfis in the oil line I think there is another problem with the yoke and bushing. do you have a transmission shop that you can go talk to. that would be my recomendation.
Rick.
as far as the cbbb I will be at big river that weekend. I might just come over on sunday for a couple of hours. Should I bring the stevens if i come. Are you going to be there?

NICE PAIR
07-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Corleone 17,
I have used Glides in several boats with great success.I think I see your problem. I run a yoke from a vett that only has a u-joint not a flange. The extra weight on the bushing is causeing your leak. I have never had to add extra lube to the yoke. And never had a leak. Even with a shorty tail and only 21/2" in the trans. Call if I can help, I have a bunch of pics you could look at.
Mike
What Mike said. We ran a powerglide, without x-tra lube, u-joint to spline yoke. It looks like the yoke you are running is out too far, and the extra weight of the flange is causing the problem.