PDA

View Full Version : Buffer

phebus
07-27-2005, 09:30 PM
I have some scratches on my boat, where the fenders rub, and from some dock rash that I want to wet sand out, and then re-buff the area. Anyone with any suggestions on a good buffer to buy, and what pad to use on it? Also, what compound to use for a nice shiny finish?
Thanks

termiteguy
07-27-2005, 09:34 PM
i would contact a gelcoater first and ask them just my.02 :cool:

HocusPocus
07-27-2005, 09:52 PM
by the time you buy the buffer (approx $150.00) and all the materials to do the job.. you would be better off paying a professional to do it. i just had my 23' boat buffed out, took 2 guys about 4 hrs. cost was $200.00.
if your not experienced with using a buffer you can end up doing more harm then good.

Forkin' Crazy
07-27-2005, 09:58 PM
I have a Milwaukee variable speed. It is expensive and heavy, but it is bad ass!!!!
I have been using foam pads.... different densities for different compounds.
Gel IMO it is hard to f up with a buffer. Paint, you have to be very careful.
Black&Decker makes an inexpensive buffer.

Forkin' Crazy
07-27-2005, 10:11 PM
BTW, I got all my pads and my compounds, except for the Ditzler Polishing compound, off one of those detail trucks, Car Brite or others. I have 4 different compounds and then swirl removers, waxes, ect. It does take an initial investment, if you want to do it right. :D

Beer-30
07-28-2005, 09:47 AM
I have the Milwaukee also. Bitchen machine.
Phebus, this is not something you want to initiate on your boat. Start on a junkyard door or an old trailer in the backyard or something. I grew up working in body shops and it took quite a bit of time to get a feel for polishing paint. One mistake and you burn right through the paint/gel. Either let a pro do it, or work your way up on non-important pieces. I just don't want to see you hurt your gel. :)

Jbb
07-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Milwaukee, and Makita are the ones I use ....a good place to shop is ..here (http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/)

Water Romper
07-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Go to the “How To” section, of the Tech forum room, “Paint” Ask Billy.B he is a Guru at this…

SOCALDETAIL1
07-28-2005, 11:55 AM
I have a Milwaukee variable speed. It is expensive and heavy, but it is bad ass!!!!
I have been using foam pads.... different densities for different compounds.
Gel IMO it is hard to f up with a buffer. Paint, you have to be very careful.
Black&Decker makes an inexpensive buffer.
Milwaukees are great machines just too damn heavy I have an original all metal one. But we use Dewalts and Makitas variable speeds. It's better if you get a pro to do it, you can burn the gel or clear pretty fast.....