PDA

View Full Version : Configuring Outlook Express for Yahoo...?

HammerDown
05-04-2006, 05:22 AM
Wanting to configure my Outlook Express 6 to read and send Yahoo e-mail?
Current ISP is Comcast East, I don't want to use their Comcast e-mail service. I would like to use my long time Yahoo account.
Prior ISP was AOL w/AOL e-mail set up with Outlook Ex. worked fine.
Would the below be correct?
Incoming mail server field > POP.mail.yahoo.com (correct)?
Outgoing mail server field SMTP.mail.yahoo.com (correct)?
Prior (AOL) Outgoing mail (SMTP) # was set to 587.
What's needed for Yahoo, could the above # be causing the problem?
thanks for any suggestions.

572Daytona
05-04-2006, 05:33 AM
The standard port number for outgoing smtp is 25, give that a try.
Also see this:
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-40.html
You need the premium version of yahoo mail in order to use OE with it.

mike37
05-04-2006, 05:38 AM
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-40.html
How do I POP my mail?
The ability to access Yahoo! Mail via a POP3 email client (such as Outlook or Outlook Express) is only available to customers of our premium Yahoo! Mail Plus service.
If you have not purchased the Yahoo! Mail Plus service, you will be unable to retrieve messages via an email client. To determine whether or not you have purchased this service, please visit the My Services page.
For all Netscape clients
For Outlook clients
For Eudora 5.1 or higher clients
For Outlook Express for Mac clients
For Outlook 2002(XP) clients
For all other mail clients
If you have purchased the service, but continue to experience errors, then please visit our POP help pages.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mike37
05-04-2006, 05:41 AM
Yahoo! Mail users can read their email in Outlook by subscribing to the Yahoo! Mail Plus service. This service allows you to use Outlook or another POP3 client to access and manage your Yahoo! Mail messages.
Outlook allows you to add a new email account to your existing profile. This means you do not have to replace your current settings in order to send and receive Yahoo! Mail messages. Unfortunately, Microsoft Outlook 97 does not support authenticated SMTP, and thus Microsoft Outlook 97 cannot be used to read Yahoo! Mail messages.
Microsoft Outlook 98 and 2000
To add a new email account to your existing profile:
From the Tools menu, select "Accounts." If you do not see "Accounts," place your cursor over the two arrows at the bottom of the list to display more choices.
Click the "Add" button.
From the Add menu, click "Mail."
In the Display Name box, type your name as you would like it to appear when you send a message, and click "Next."
In the Email Address box, enter your Yahoo! Mail address (for example, "user@yahoo.com") and click "Next."
In the box labeled "My incoming mail server is a..." select "POP3" server.
Type "pop.mail.yahoo.com" in the Incoming Mail (POP3 or IMAP) Server box.
Type "smtp.mail.yahoo.com" in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server box.
Click "Next."
In the Account Name box, enter your Yahoo! Mail ID (your email address without the "@yahoo.com").
In the Password box, enter your Yahoo! Mail password.
Check "Remember Password" if you do not want Outlook to prompt you for your password each time you check your mail.
Do not check the box labeled "Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)."
Click "Next."
Choose the appropriate connection type under the "Which Method Do You Use to Connect to the Internet" heading.
If you chose "Connect using my phone line," you will need to select a dial-up connection in the Dial-up Connection Wizard and click "Next."
Click "Finish."
Important: The Yahoo! Mail SMTP server now requires authentication. To turn this setting on, follow these steps:
From the Tools menu, choose "Accounts."
Select the "Mail" tab.
Select your Yahoo! Mail account and click "Properties."
Click on the "Servers" tab.
Check the box next to "My Server Requires Authentication."
Please make sure that "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" is not checked.
Click "OK."
To control deletion of messages from the Yahoo! Mail server:
From the Tools menu, select "Accounts."
Click on the "Mail" tab.
Select your Yahoo! Mail account and click "Properties."
Click on the "Advanced" tab.
Check "Leave a copy of messages on server" if you want to save your Yahoo! Mail messages on the Yahoo! Mail server as well as on your local computer. Please note that setting your email client to remove messages from the server will cause your messages to be deleted from the server. Once the messages are deleted, we are unable to retrieve them.
Click "OK."
Close Microsoft Outlook and restart.
If your ISP blocks port 25 or if you're unable to send email, then you will need to use port 587 when sending via Yahoo!'s SMTP server. To make this change, please follow the directions below:
From the "Tools" menu, select "Accounts"
Select your Yahoo! POP account and click on the "Properties" button
Click on the "Advanced" tab
Next to "Outgoing server (SMTP), change port 25 to 587
Click "Apply", then click "OK" and "Close"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HammerDown
05-04-2006, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the info...
So in other words...I'll need to purchase the Premium Yahoo service...$$$ :notam: