PDA

View Full Version : cooling issues

Tresguey
07-27-2005, 09:42 PM
ok my buddy has a ford 460. we know nothing about them as he is a mopar guy and im a Chevy guy. we ran the water logs from the pump to the front of the logs to preheat them as we were told, then to the block and then to the snail.we checked logs for pressure and no air escaped. we cranked over the engine at the lake and water did come out of the pump line but it did look a little there was alot of air bubbles in it.so we connected it then took the lines off the water neck and no water was coming out.well just barely coming out. and the 460 over temped and now its done. spun a bearing it sounds like. we hook it up to a hose and plenty of water exits both logs. any clue on what the problem is?

Moneypitt
07-27-2005, 09:52 PM
The hole/fitting on the jet bowl is quite small, and you're trying to feed 2 hoses from it. You may have a little piece of foreign materal blocking the orafice. Wasn't this the motor that lost a pushrod the last time out? Maybe the brg was spinning then......or you may have streched the rod bolts on the dead cylinder, because the piston was being pulled down instead of firing.
Another possibilty, if, and when, was any plumbing changed? Some "T" fittings are reduced inside, so supplying 2 hoses from one, and the reduced ID could result in very little water for the engine. Any chance the logs are leaking into the exhaust passage, the hose might keep up, but the pump can't........MP

Squirtin Thunder
07-27-2005, 10:20 PM
The hole/fitting on the jet bowl is quite small, and you're trying to feed 2 hoses from it. You may have a little piece of foreign materal blocking the orafice. Wasn't this the motor that lost a pushrod the last time out? Maybe the brg was spinning then......or you may have streched the rod bolts on the dead cylinder, because the piston was being pulled down instead of firing.
Another possibilty, if, and when, was any plumbing changed? Some "T" fittings are reduced inside, so supplying 2 hoses from one, and the reduced ID could result in very little water for the engine. Any chance the logs are leaking into the exhaust passage, the hose might keep up, but the pump can't........MP
Has anyone gone to a bigger inlet fitting or hole ???

Tresguey
07-28-2005, 07:30 AM
yes this was the motor that lost a pushrod. i forgot to mention we took the hose off that came from the pump and water came through the hose freely like it should i would think so there is no clog there. but once we fired her up the water seemed to push harder but may have been less water. because it was extremly airated. the motor ran nice and cool on the hose. i really don't understand how the water flows from the pump to the cooling system. but i am sure that is the problem.

Moneypitt
07-28-2005, 08:25 AM
You said the water came thru the hose freely, AND then you fired it up. How was the hose from the pump being supplied before you fired it up? From what I've read here, you are going from the jet, to a "T", to the logs, out the logs to the front of the motor, and out the top of the motor to the snails. I would run the water straight to the front of the motor,( "T"d from the jet,) exit at the top, and enter the logs (lower conection), out the logs to the snails. True the motor may not get to the desired operating temp, but you have alot less chance of cooking it. If that works, then you can start looking into why it gets hot the other way. Late timing, and/or lean conditions will cause the exhaust to run very hot, so maybe the exhaust first routing was "steam locked", meaning the steam pressure was overcoming the pressure coming in. Too bad you cooked it. You may be able to find a "runner" motor here to get you back on the water....MP

Tresguey
07-28-2005, 08:41 AM
when i said running free with the hose off i meant the water was coming in freely due to gravity so i concluded that end was not clogged. we did think of plumbing it through the block first and were gonna ask on another post. and we did fatten it way up and adjusted the timing. im sure the problem is in the water pressure from the pump. and what my buddy is gonna do is have Team C build a short block for him. and he has another boat..... allthough its a wacker it moves pretty good. and i have my Sanger and a pontoon so we will still get to the water.

Tresguey
07-28-2005, 04:42 PM
any other takes on this?

SmokinLowriderSS
07-28-2005, 05:05 PM
I'm unable to see a problem unless you have something mis-described. You don't mention if any water was coming out the exhaust (which is likely a "no" since you overheated).
Water inlet line (single) to a 5/8" "T", to the logs lower fittings, out the higher logs fittings to the water-pump area of the block, out the thermostat housing cover to the snails, out the exhaust.
Do make sure nothing is stopping it at the "T".
Was water exiting the logs heading toward the block?
Was water getting through the lines TO the block to pour in?
------"took the lines off the water neck and no water was coming out.well just barely coming out"----- Is this at the "thermostat cover" where water should be leaving the engine?
Are you running a thermostat?
I've run the "standard" raw water setup with logs for 27 years, never a problem.

Tresguey
07-28-2005, 06:08 PM
my buddy just called me and says he found the problem. the hose from the pump was routed too close to the oil pan. at idle its ok but when you get on it the torque moves the pan and pinches the hose off. i guess that s why it cooled of at idle but when at cruisin speed it over heated. just a little expensive mistake. i bet we both will look for stuff like that in the future. :hammerhea