PDA

View Full Version : Shotguns??

cdog
07-27-2005, 10:17 PM
I've been looking around for a while for a semi auto and don't really know what to buy or look for. I grew up hunting with a 870 Remington Express Pump. Mostly Quail. I would like a versitile gun that I can use for all bird hunting and skeet. It also has to be american made. And prefer a 12 gauge. Any recomendations?

djunkie
07-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Remington 1187. Hands down the best for the value. A little heavy but VERY reliable and you can hunt almost anything with it.

Red Horse
07-27-2005, 10:19 PM
I can recommend a pump gun. Not sure if they make it in an auto.
Mossberg 835 UltiMag with a ported barrel. Follow up shots are great, low rise, low kick and American made.
Will also shoot 3 1/2 inch shells. Very versatile

Jordy
07-27-2005, 10:21 PM
12 gauge is the only way to go, especially for quail. However, I'm out of the loop on my model numbers. Then again, I started off on a single shot 20 gauge and graduated to a sweet Winchester 12 gauge O/U. The extra shot is nice from time to time though. ;)

cdog
07-27-2005, 10:22 PM
Why are the remingtons so much cheaper than brownings?

Red Horse
07-27-2005, 10:24 PM
Because they are Remingtons :boxed:
It is preference. I like Winchester and Mossberg. Grandpa swears by Remington. I get near one and it will jamb. I could use my Mossberg as a bat and it will work flawlessly :cool:

djunkie
07-27-2005, 10:24 PM
Why are the remingtons so much cheaper than brownings?
Not sure. I have a friend with a browning Gold hunter 12 guage and I really do not like it. Does not feel comfortable to me. I have the Remington 1187 that I use for hunting. I have more expensive guns but this is my choice for the field.

cdog
07-27-2005, 10:25 PM
12 gauge is the only way to go, especially for quail. However, I'm out of the loop on my model numbers. Then again, I started off on a single shot 20 gauge and graduated to a sweet Winchester 12 gauge O/U. The extra shot is nice from time to time though. ;)
There you are. I saw you at pleasent. I did't know you had a new boat. I too started off with a single shot 20 gauge.

djunkie
07-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Because they are Remingtons :boxed:
It is preference. I like Winchester and Mossberg. Grandpa swears by Remington. I get near one and it will jamb. I could use my Mossberg as a bat and it will work flawlessly :cool:
Mossberg pumps are nice but stay away from the new auto they got. Its the 935. It will shoot the big 3.5's but it does jam often.

Forkin' Crazy
07-27-2005, 10:26 PM
I have several older 1100 Remington autos. They have been through hell. Duck, deer, etc. Dropped in the water, mud, etc. They all still work great and shoot well. If the 1187 is as good, I would buy one, but I have to wear out my others first.
Pump, I would go old school, Model 12 Win.

Red Horse
07-27-2005, 10:26 PM
Not sure. I have a friend with a browning Gold hunter 12 guage and I really do not like it. Does not feel comfortable to me. I have the Remington 1187 that I use for hunting. I have more expensive guns but this is my choice for the field.
It is true. The gun has to work for you. Grandpa has many Remingtons. One has electrical tape on the stock. :redface: But for him a great gun. I cant hit with it. On the other hand he wont even shoot my Mossberg.

Jordy
07-27-2005, 10:27 PM
There you are. I saw you at pleasent. I did't know you had a new boat. I too started off with a single shot 20 gauge.
I'm bummed we missed you, granted we're pretty hard to miss. Yeah, I started off with a single shot 20 gauge with a manual hammer. It had no recoil pad and I was about 8 when I started with it. I learned to hold it tight and make that one shot count. I also remember the bruises and the missed shots when I got in a hurry. Good times that I'll never forget the lessons attached to. ;)

Phat Matt
07-27-2005, 10:28 PM
I have the Beretta A391 3.5 Xtrema. It's great gun that I use for dove, quail, ducks and geese.
http://www.pietro-beretta.ru/pic/f_A391_3_5_xtrema_wetl_maxi.jpg

cdog
I've had pretty good luck with the Rem 870 pump. The Rem's seem to be priced well.

djunkie
I have several older 1100 Remington autos. They have been through hell. Duck, deer, etc. Dropped in the water, mud, etc. They all still work great and shoot well. If the 1187 is as good, I would buy one, but I have to wear out my others first.
Pump, I would go old school, Model 12 Win.
1187 is basically the same as the 1100. It will shoot 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. That should cover pretty much all field needs. It also has interchangeable choke tubes.

Red Horse
Dad always said a single shot will make you a better hunter. I had to earn my pump gun.

cdog
07-27-2005, 10:31 PM
I'm bummed we missed you, granted we're pretty hard to miss. Yeah, I started off with a single shot 20 gauge with a manual hammer. It had no recoil pad and I was about 8 when I started with it. I learned to hold it tight and make that one shot count. I also remember the bruises and the missed shots when I got in a hurry. Good times that I'll never forget the lessons attached to. ;)
Sounds like the same one I had. My 20 gauge beat me up more than the 12 gauge did.

Red Horse
07-27-2005, 10:32 PM
http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/images/0266720.gif
Here is my gun

cdog
07-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Good info. Thanks guys.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-27-2005, 10:56 PM
I have two 870's.....Wingmaster's....
I love those things.......
My field gun is still a Savage Fox-B side-by-side.....
I need to get out hunting more......
Let me know if you could use some hunting company.....
Later,
CJG
:D

Phat Matt
07-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Later,
CJG
So we know we have to set up a fishing trip. Now we have to do a hunting trip too? :D

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-27-2005, 11:06 PM
So we know we have to set up a fishing trip. Now we have to do a hunting trip too? :D
Man.....
Boating....Fishing.....Hunting......
We're gonna' be busy !!!!!
Hehe!!
I'm goin' to bed.....Give Goldie a squeeze for me....
Later,
CJG

Punisher
07-28-2005, 03:08 AM
if you want a reliable 12 guage,i say get the remington 870 express..We own 3 in our household and has never let us down...We also own the super black eagle semi auto..Now that shotty is bad ass :2purples: ...If you want a light shotgun,check out mossberg...We own one but had one major problem with it...The safety mechanism broke and would fire once you took the safety off. :mad: :2purples:

RitcheyRch
07-28-2005, 04:09 AM
If I was to buy a shotgun it would definitely be a Benelli.

cc322
07-28-2005, 04:23 AM
Remington 1187. Hands down the best for the value. A little heavy but VERY reliable and you can hunt almost anything with it.
What he said. I have a Winchester 1200 Ranger pump that works well for me

Nate56
07-28-2005, 04:46 AM
Any type of hunting, Benelli Super Black Eagle.. Little high but man you just can't beat this gun... I have this one and an 870.. 870 has been there through thick and thin, it's a good one too, But if you picked up the benelli you'd understand why it's so cool.. It's light, durable, have 4 shells instead of 3 in it, it's a little trick, 3.5" shells, list goes on.. But it's nice...

rivergoer
07-28-2005, 04:51 AM
benelli makes a great gun, real durable pricey but an awsome gun..

Mardonzi
07-28-2005, 05:18 AM
You might want to check out Auctionarms.com. Just about everything under the sun out there and it gives you a pretty good idea of what the market is on used guns.
I personally started out with a Bicentennial Model Remington 870... loved the gun but for trap shooting, it was a bruiser. Moved on to the Berretta AL-2, which is pretty much the same as the A390 and A391. Great auto loaders. I know shoot a Browning Citori Plus and a Perrazi MX-8. Not field guns but fun to shoot.
As far as doves and quail go,, I shoot a Remington 870 in the .410. I might not hit as many,, but it's still a riot to go out and make noise with.

Jbb
07-28-2005, 05:29 AM
Big Bore......game over... (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.usswisconsin.org/Pictures/Big%2520Guns/019%2520BB-64%2520off%2520Korea%25201951.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.usswisconsin.org/Pictures/bigguns.htm&h=451&w=600&sz=58&tbnid=m_P3FBxEUdsJ:&tbnh=99&tbnw=133&hl=en&start=17&prev=/images%3Fq%3Delephant%2Bguns%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3De n%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN)
http://www.usswisconsin.org/Pictures/Big%20Guns/049%20%205in.38%20Gun%20Shoot.jpg

2Driver
07-28-2005, 05:30 AM
cdog. I'd check out "Charles Daily" You will be in good company.
12 gage semi auto or double barrel great for quail. Been hunting geese on the Chesapeake and Quail in AZ all my life, not to mention a few months hunting the big stuff in Africa.
Also, you can grab a 3 day AZ out of state permit (cheap) and shoot over here. Your welcome to go along. Sometimes I launch the boat and go to some nice spots on the lake not accessible by 4x4.
I feel a hot boat quail hunt coming on

Unforgiven
07-28-2005, 05:32 AM
I've been looking around for a while for a semi auto and don't really know what to buy or look for. I grew up hunting with a 870 Remington Express Pump. Mostly Quail. I would like a versitile gun that I can use for all bird hunting and skeet. It also has to be american made. And prefer a 12 gauge. Any recomendations?
Since my dad is a gun dealer, I get to "try out" different shotguns every year for dove hunting....so by far the best "auto" is the Beretta A391 but for over/under was the browning citori....both in 12 guage of course

scarabrick2
07-28-2005, 05:46 AM
I'd buy a remington. parts are always in stock at ANY gun shop. Reliable, well made. Also a Berreta 391 is great but that gun doesn't fit me. Go to a large gun shop/club and try a few to see if they fit. I have a rather full face and the Berreta 391 doesn't line up ie: sight picture. Best advice go to a shooting club near you and shoot the gun clubs gun. Sight picture is a must along with proper fit. If you come out to vegas I'll meet up with you at the las Vegas trap/gun club and we'll shoot a few rounds. Down in Havasu they shoot every weekend early. It's by Sara park south of town going down river. A lot of the seasoned shooters will give you good advice. Once you find a gun you like look at WWW.GUNSAMERICA.COM ,
[url]www.GUNBROKER.COM, and your local wal-mart/ Basspro shop (vegas)
Rick

Riverkid
07-28-2005, 05:55 AM
Since my dad is a gun dealer, I get to "try out" different shotguns every year for dove hunting....so by far the best "auto" is the Beretta A391 but for over/under was the browning citori....both in 12 guage of course
Can't go wrong with either of these. That's good advice right there. Autoloaders are great but hunting with an O/U is just a different experience. I've got a bunch of different shottys in the safe but these are the two "fast movers"... Just got another 1187 in 20 gauge. Nice balance...
Good luck.

CARLSON-JET
07-28-2005, 06:18 AM
If I was to buy a shotgun it would definitely be a Benelli.
these are very nice. light and just feel good.. my neighbor won one at a ducks' unlimited dinner.. nice prize.. he used a mossberg for years but now only takes the benelli to the stand.

HOSS
07-28-2005, 06:19 AM
Remington 1100,,,hands down.

OGShocker
07-28-2005, 06:22 AM
So, you guys feel the need to flex your junk by killing little desert birds and showing off your penis extensions. Weapons such as these were designed for only one purpose and that purpose is to kill. So let me ask a question to those of you who feel the need to carry out these child like games,,,, can I tag along? I just love blowing s**t up!
As a joke I took this deal out shooting trap once. My buddies about shat themselves "THAT'S NOT A TRAP GUN YOU AS$HOLE". We laugh about it to this day.
http://images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976610728-1.jpg

Sleek-Jet
07-28-2005, 06:22 AM
I personally started out with a Bicentennial Model Remington 870... loved the gun but for trap shooting, it was a bruiser. Moved on to the Berretta AL-2, which is pretty much the same as the A390 and A391. Great auto loaders. I know shoot a Browning Citori Plus and a Perrazi MX-8. Not field guns but fun to shoot.
You want to start talking expensive guns... just say Perrazi... :D
I had to drink alot to be talked into buying my Remington 90T, and that was only 1500.00. :D
Where do you shoot at Mardonzi???

Mardonzi
07-28-2005, 06:45 AM
I haven't for awhile,, I used to shoot in Salt Lake quite a bit. The Spring Grand in February was one of the ones I used to hit. Guess I need to head to the Valley one of these days and blow the cobwebs out of the barrels

SoCalOffshore
07-28-2005, 06:53 AM
I own a Berreta 391, Remington 870 special purpose and the Benelli Super Black Eagle. The remington 1187 is the best priced semi auto and I think you will be very pleased. The Benelli is arguably the best semi auto shotgun in the world. The Berreta is a fine gun as well. I got 3 canadian geeese on the colorado river near blythe a couple of years ago with my Benelli.

rivergoer
07-28-2005, 06:55 AM
maybe you should get a howitzer nothing will get away then :eek: :)

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-28-2005, 11:41 AM
I own a Berreta 391, Remington 870 special purpose and the Benelli Super Black Eagle. The remington 1187 is the best priced semi auto and I think you will be very pleased. The Benelli is arguably the best semi auto shotgun in the world. The Berreta is a fine gun as well. I got 3 canadian geeese on the colorado river near blythe a couple of years ago with my Benelli.
OK.....
So when are we all going hunting Geordie ????
Lets set it up.....
Quail....(I'm tired of shooting them with my air rifle in my front yard at Havasu).....Dove..........Duck (Stinky)........Goose (Stinkier).....
Lets do the dove thing down Parker way.....
CJG

thom
07-28-2005, 11:52 AM
All of the ones above are good shotguns.. My opinion for whats its worth. I have an old 870 wingmaster that i cant tell you how many rounds ive put through it.. But if you want a good quality gun for a decent price check out the Winchester 101 o/u came with a three barrel set, 12, 20 and 410. They made a remake of this called the 1001 i think you get it for 1500 or so.. not sure on the price.. bUt a nice set up especially if you get the 3 barrel set..
If price is no object perazzi are some of the best but a nice perazzi will set you back 15K

I Feel the Need...
07-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Any type of hunting, Benelli Super Black Eagle.. Little high but man you just can't beat this gun... I have this one and an 870.. 870 has been there through thick and thin, it's a good one too, But if you picked up the benelli you'd understand why it's so cool.. It's light, durable, have 4 shells instead of 3 in it, it's a little trick, 3.5" shells, list goes on.. But it's nice...
I second this, Benelli is the best semi-auto shotgun you can buy.

djunkie
07-28-2005, 12:45 PM
I have shot many of the guns that are listed here and I even have some of them listed. The Beneli is a very nice gun. I bought a super black eagle and loved it until I hunted with it. I went duck hunting with it and every time I had to take a vertical over head shot the gun wouldn't cycle. :confused: Called up my local gun shop and the guy told me ya they won't cycle once they are put in a certain angle. F-that. Back the my 1187. If you plan on hunting with it def. go with and a 3 shot auto. You'll def. like having that 3rd shot.

Lake Ape
07-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Get a real gun!
Call old Mr. Bill Wilson, you can't go wrong with a Wilson Combat shotgun. I just added the Border Patrol Model to my Arsenal.
Shotgun (http://www.wilsoncombat.com/index_sgt.htm)
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/images/product/SSTD-A.jpg

ECeptor
07-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Later,
CJG
I started killing quail with an old 410 single shot a long, long time ago. Then worked up through a couple of 20g pumps. I did hit with my old man's Fox side-by-side 12g - that is a great gun! Heavy, but damn cool in an old-school sort of way.
If I could only have two shotguns, one would be a light, simple 870 20g pump. The other would be a Browning Light 12 automatic 12g.
If I could have only one, it would be a Remington 870 special field 12g (21" barrel, sport stock...nothing comes up faster!).

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
07-28-2005, 05:31 PM
I can recommend a pump gun. Not sure if they make it in an auto.
Mossberg 835 UltiMag with a ported barrel. Follow up shots are great, low rise, low kick and American made.
Will also shoot 3 1/2 inch shells. Very versatile
i have that same model..very good,and very reasonably priced......

Nord
07-28-2005, 05:40 PM
I'm really not int guns, but I heard the home defender is good, with two barrels (different lengths) but I'm probably way wrong

Phat Matt
07-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Hey good taste. I like mine. :D

Backtanner
07-28-2005, 05:48 PM
I started out with my Crossman 760 giving the coup-de-gras to the winged Dove/quail my Dad would hit. Then I kinda graduated to a fourth gen hand me down Sears (by Mossberg). I got my first real gun from the Pomona gun show (way back when they had real guns) in the form of a Ithaca 37 pump. Very lightweight and with the bottom ejection I can barely keep up with it. Got my Pop's Rem 1100 when he passed but would give anything to have my hunting buddy back for one more season opener.

disco_charger
07-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Krieghoff. The best without a doubt. Perazzi is a very close second. For a lower priced gun, my favorite is the older Winchester Super X. Haven't tried the new one yet. I also have an 870 Wingmaster and the 1100. All are outstanding guns.
http://www.krieghoff.com/pages/2.7/images/1999/R%FCckseite%20%20Rotwild.jpg

25WARLOCK
07-28-2005, 07:02 PM
If you are looking for an all around great semi-auto then I would go with the old Remington 1100. In my opinion you just cant beat them, I own a few and have since the 1980's. They are great for Dove, Quail,etc and also skeet/sporting clays. Not to mention they are cheap $$$ to buy these days, the hard part is getting someone to part with one. :)

Kilrtoy
07-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Are you still allowed to buy semi auto's in cali and if so
BENELLI or if you want the stripped model and saving the dough, BERETTA

77charger
07-28-2005, 07:07 PM
for hunting a remington 11-87.
For a defense comp gun a benelli
different guns different purposes IMO

Jrocket
07-28-2005, 08:08 PM
Soooo does anybody have any guns that they want to sell?

djunkie
07-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Soooo does anybody have any guns that they want to sell?
I'll never sell them. I look at them as investments. :crossx:

djunkie
07-28-2005, 08:41 PM
Hey cdog, what kind of money are you looking to spend on one? That may narrow it down a little as what would be best.

rrrr
07-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Been an 870 shooter since I was 12, it's a great gun. I suppose the 1100 would be even better...

SummitKarl
07-28-2005, 10:59 PM
I only owned one as a young man, Remington 12ga, pump with twin pistol grips, (front grip was drilled and lead filled) and the plug was pulled for a 7 shot load, I could straight arm it with both hands on the rear grip, and the recoil was so hard that it auto pumped/loaded the next shell, man I killed so many watermellons :D

djunkie
07-29-2005, 01:20 AM
...and nobody has mentioned the Browning Gold Hunter? :confused:
I did. Its somewhere in here. I have shot one and it is ok to me. For the money I am more happy with my 1187. The Browning is a nice gun but for a reliable, cheap field gun I'll stick with the remington.

Forkin' Crazy
07-29-2005, 04:41 AM
Isn't Browning now made in Japan? :idea:

djunkie
07-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Isn't Browning now made in Japan? :idea:
I believe some are. I was told that they do make some of them in belgium still. The price mostly reflects this.

cdog
07-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Hey cdog, what kind of money are you looking to spend on one? That may narrow it down a little as what would be best.
I guess from 400-900 bucks. I'm lookin more for a work horse gun. I think I'll be getting that remington 1187. Right now I'm stockin up on the semi auto stuff before hillory get voted in and we can't buy them anymore. We'll always be able to get a 4 shot, shot gun for hunting. I'm real big on keeping it American, so if it's not made here, i'm not intrested in it. Thanks for everyones input. We should plan a Quail Hunt this season.
BTW. It's good to see some real men's men talking about guns rather than post counts. Keep it real, Thanks.

djunkie
07-29-2005, 12:08 PM
I guess from 400-900 bucks. I'm lookin more for a work horse gun. I think I'll be getting that remington 1187. Right now I'm stockin up on the semi auto stuff before hillory get voted in and we can't buy them anymore. We'll always be able to get a 4 shot shot gun for hunting. I'm real big on keeping it American, so if it's not made here, i'm not intrested in it. Thanks for everyones input. We should plan a Quail Hunt this season.
There have been a lot of good guns talked about here. I am biased towards that 1187 just because it is very reliable and reasonably priced. I have shot a lot of different shotguns and this one I felt was the one for me. Plus I'm not afraid to set it down or lean it up against a tree cause I didn't spend $1500 on it. Remember which ever one you get it must have a plug in it so it will only hold 3 shells. Ca. law. For the field that is.

Mardonzi
07-29-2005, 12:11 PM
The 3 shot law is actually a Federal Fish and Wildlife regulation that pertains to Migratory birds (including doves).
I don't know squat about Cali laws,,, for all I know they might require it on everything.

djunkie
07-29-2005, 12:12 PM
The 3 shot law is actually a Federal Fish and Wildlife regulation that pertains to Migratory birds (including doves).
Ya thats what I meant. :D

cdog
07-29-2005, 12:16 PM
I don't know squat about Cali laws,,, for all I know they might require it on everything.
I only mentioned the shell cap. because of the deal here in cali. I believe the 1187 is capable of carring 4- 2.75 shells or 3 -3.00 shells. Am I correct? I just like how it has options. Secondly, What is a good price for the 1187?

Sleek-Jet
07-29-2005, 12:19 PM
Check out www.gunbroker.com and do a search for 1187...
looks like most are going for around 750.00 - 800.00 for a wood stocked gun.

djunkie
07-29-2005, 12:20 PM
I only mentioned the shell cap. because of the deal here in cali. I believe the 1187 is capable of carring 4- 2.75 shells or 3 -3.00 shells. Am I correct? I just like how it has options. Secondly, What is a good price for the 1187?
Mine came with the plug installed so I'm not sure exactly how many it would hold with out it. If you check at Turners outdoors they sometimes have it on sale for $650. I got lucky and caught it on sale for $599. Not sure if they'll do it that cheap again. Keep your eyes open though. With Dove season coming up they'll have a sale on shotguns. Some good deals.

cdog
07-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Mine came with the plug installed so I'm not sure exactly how many it would hold with out it. If you check at Turners outdoors they sometimes have it on sale for $650. I got lucky and caught it on sale for $599. Not sure if they'll do it that cheap again. Keep your eyes open though. With Dove season coming up they'll have a sale on shotguns. Some good deals.
Seems as though turners allways has the best deals because it's so hard to sell them here in cali. I'm on their weekly sale emailer. I'll be keeping my eye out.

Totally IncapASSitated
07-29-2005, 01:42 PM
Seems as though turners allways has the best deals because it's so hard to sell them here in cali. I'm on their weekly sale emailer. I'll be keeping my eye out.
Hey Cdog-
Let me know if you see any good deals on that 1187....I'm in the market for pretty much the same type of gun that you are. I cetainly appreciate any info.
Thanks,
Alan

cdog
07-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Hey Cdog-
Let me know if you see any good deals on that 1187....I'm in the market for pretty much the same type of gun that you are. I cetainly appreciate any info.
Thanks,
Alan
Will do. When I see the sale I'll post it.

STV_Keith
07-29-2005, 02:05 PM
I've got a Mossy 590A1 myself. Not exactly for birds, but a great pump gun. All the good mil-spec parts. Mine was also done up by Hans Vang at Vang Comp Systems (http://www.vangcomp.com/). Action is like butter, tight groups, etc.
http://www.speedcraving.com/ebay/mossberg-2.jpg
http://www.speedcraving.com/ebay/mossberg-3.jpg

cdog
07-29-2005, 02:07 PM
I've got a Mossy 590A1 myself. Not exactly for birds, but a great pump gun. All the good mil-spec parts. Mine was also done up by Hans Vang at Vang Comp Systems (http://www.vangcomp.com/). Action is like butter, tight groups, etc.
http://www.speedcraving.com/ebay/mossberg-2.jpg
http://www.speedcraving.com/ebay/mossberg-3.jpg
All you would have left is Blood and Feathers. :crossx:

djunkie
07-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Hey Cdog-
Thanks,
Alan
Every tuesday afternoon go to Turners website and check out the weekly sales. The shotguns should be on sale soon due to the dove opener coming up on Sept. 1. http://www.turners.com/ Also if you are out there in Corona go check out Daves Guns and ammo. Not sure of his prices but he'll get you anything you want.

OGShocker
07-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Every tuesday afternoon go to Turners website and check out the weekly sales. The shotguns should be on sale soon due to the dove opener coming up on Sept. 1. http://www.turners.com/ Also if you are out there in Corona go check out Daves Guns and ammo. Not sure of his prices but he'll get you anything you want.
Their outlet store is in Chino. Just south of the 60 west of East End. Good place to visit.

RitcheyRch
09-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Went to Turners today and bought me the Benelli M1 Super 90 tactical which is a semi-auto model.
Are you still allowed to buy semi auto's in cali and if so
BENELLI or if you want the stripped model and saving the dough, BERETTA

angry dad
09-05-2005, 04:29 PM
The 1187 holds 5 2 3/4 shells. I know.. the effin fish and game clown put 5 in mine.. then wrote me a ticket yesterday by blythe!

Riverkid
09-05-2005, 08:11 PM
I don't know why they don't ship new shotty's out with the magazine plug factory installed... Sorry about that ticket, but you can only have 3 in the gun, 2 in the mag and one up the pipe. They had 65 special F&G guys out plainclothes for the opener I heard, all to check guns...

angry dad
09-27-2005, 05:49 PM
I just received the word.. 720.00 effin dollars!!! :mad: Effin thiefs :mad: Who in the eff dreamed up this amount?? I was thinking 200 250. But 720.00 for no plug!! This is just another example of the rape and pillage by the gustapos in Calif!!! Sorry for the rant!

Phat Matt
09-27-2005, 06:07 PM
I just received the word.. 720.00 effin dollars!!! :mad: Effin thiefs :mad: Who in the eff dreamed up this amount?? I was thinking 200 250. But 720.00 for no plug!! This is just another example of the rape and pillage by the gustapos in Calif!!! Sorry for the rant!
That sucks!

P P R
09-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Call Mike, @ Advantage waterfowl 503-320-4733. Tell him your from the boards he'll hook you up!

NorCalCat
09-27-2005, 07:23 PM
12 gauge for quale? WOW! Must be blown to peices.
Go with a Remington 1100 series in the auto or 870 serise in the pump. Can't go wrong. Solid and cheap. I have several of both and they have been throgh hell (all 12 guages). If you want to go a bit more DCB, go with a Browning Citori over & under 20 guage (the niceest shotgun I have ever owned). That will keep the quail, dove, and pheasant in one peice. Also, you have to be a good shot, cuz you only got 2!
Good luck with you purchase!

Taylorman
10-06-2005, 10:48 AM
I have shot many of the guns that are listed here and I even have some of them listed. The Beneli is a very nice gun. I bought a super black eagle and loved it until I hunted with it. I went duck hunting with it and every time I had to take a vertical over head shot the gun wouldn't cycle. :confused: Called up my local gun shop and the guy told me ya they won't cycle once they are put in a certain angle. F-that. Back the my 1187. If you plan on hunting with it def. go with and a 3 shot auto. You'll def. like having that 3rd shot.
Thats BS, i have a Benelli SBE and i have many friends who have them and they shoot fine at any angle. I think you have a problem with your gun. Benelli's is the best imo, beretta's and browning golds are also good guns. Im not much on remington shotguns, but thats just me. I like remington 700 rifles though. I have a SS 7MM model 700.

Chase
10-06-2005, 11:11 AM
My .02...........Nothing wrong with a Winchester Semi auto..I have an older Model 1500 semi auto...works awesome and is light to carry and offers 3 shots compared to the O/U. For the gun club I sport a Browning Citori....
Dad gave me the Winchester Model 1200 pump which also works flawlessly..
Bottom line it is how much you want to spend for what you will be using it for the most...and whichever one fits the best..

Trash
10-06-2005, 01:05 PM
I would also consider the Benelli Nova pump. Chambers anything, is dirt simple and very reliable. $330-$450. Other than my Garand, it's probably my favorite firearm.

djunkie
10-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Thats BS, i have a Benelli SBE and i have many friends who have them and they shoot fine at any angle. I think you have a problem with your gun. Benelli's is the best imo, beretta's and browning golds are also good guns. Im not much on remington shotguns, but thats just me. I like remington 700 rifles though. I have a SS 7MM model 700.
Well tell that to Benelli then. Cause after they supposedly fixed it it still won't shoot right.

cdog
10-06-2005, 01:46 PM
My Rem. 1187 so far has been a great gun. I've put about 500 rounds thru her at prado shooting trap getting ready for quail season. Total cost out the door at Turners in orange was about $715.

djunkie
10-06-2005, 01:52 PM
My Rem. 1187 so far has been a great gun. I've put about 500 rounds thru her at prado shooting trap getting ready for quail season. Total cost out the door at Turners in orange was about $715.
I love mine too. Never failed me. And when I shoot at those ducks going overhead it always cycle the shells. Unlike that POS beneli I had. :crossx:

STV_Keith
10-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Hate to disagree with the Benelli lovers, but I just got back from a 2 day tactical shotgun class, and the Benelli guys had more levers and buttons and things to do then all the rest of us pump and semi-auto guys.
The M4 has a ?Cycle release? lever on it. This is, if you don't pull the trigger or hit this button, you can cycle the bolt and it will pull the shell out of the chamber, but it won't pickup the next round until you pull the trigger or hit this release. Makes for one more step in a slug-select or malfunction clearing.
The Nova has a cool button at the bottom of the action, but it's damn near impossible to find without looking at it. They did a good job of hiding it - so well you can't find it by just feeling - which is what you should/would be doing in a gunfight.
Anyway, just my .02 - I'll stick with my pump gun. :)

Trash
10-06-2005, 08:00 PM
It is ridiculous to think you would use the magazine bypass in a 'gunfight'. I'm not sure how much simpler a Benelli Nova could be.

STV_Keith
10-07-2005, 08:30 AM
Trash, how else do you do a slug select then?