PDA

View Full Version : Oil coming out distributer....

78Eliminator
09-03-2002, 09:36 AM
What would cause this to happen??

BrendellaJet
09-03-2002, 09:49 AM
is it coming from the distributor base where it meets the intake? If so you need to make sure that you have a fresh gasket between the two surfaces and that the distributor is fully clamped down to the intake.

Hotcrusader76
09-03-2002, 09:51 AM
78Eliminator:
What would cause this to happen??He said the inside???? Yikes

Jordy
09-03-2002, 10:13 AM
What are you running for breathers on your valve covers? If there is no way for crankcase pressure (blow by) to escape, be it an evac system, breathers, etc, the pressure is going to have to go somewhere, even if it is up and out through your distributor.
Jordy :D

78Eliminator
09-03-2002, 10:20 AM
jordanpaulk:
What are you running for breathers on your valve covers? If there is no way for crankcase pressure (blow by) to escape, be it an evac system, breathers, etc, the pressure is going to have to go somewhere, even if it is up and out through your distributor.
Jordy :D I run breathers that have lins to the headers. In the lines are one way valves... I better check the valves....

78Eliminator
09-03-2002, 10:21 AM
What grade oil are you running JP?

Jordy
09-03-2002, 10:27 AM
78Eliminator:
I run breathers that have lins to the headers. In the lines are one way valves... I better check the valves....Make sure they are set up to run the right way, out that is. Sounds like pressure build up to my untrained mind.
As far as oil, I run straight 50W Racing, either Kendall or Valvoline. I've run both with no noticable difference in pressure. I also run 1 QT of Lucas oil stabilizer as part of a preventive maintenance program in the event water gets introduced to the oil again.
Jordy :D

MikeF
09-03-2002, 11:09 AM
Justin, I believe there is oil pressure from the galleys to the dist shaft (normal). You might need a new seal on the mallory dist. There is a place in Fullerton that could probley help you as they work w/ mallory's. If you were going to move to the MSD, you could do that now.
And Bassett is right down the st. for the Scoop.... :)
[ September 03, 2002, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: MikeF ]

Hotcrusader76
09-03-2002, 11:12 AM
MikeF:
Justin, I believe there is oil pressure from the galleys to the dist shaft (normal). You might need a new seal on the mallory dist. There is a place in Fullerton that could probley help you as they work w/ mallory's. If you were going to move to the MSD, you could do that now.Move to the MSD...jump on the band wagon that I am doing....MSD MSD MSD MSD...sell the Mallory, I am...but don't stomp my market for a used one...LOL :D :D :D :D
[ September 03, 2002, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

78Eliminator
09-03-2002, 11:34 AM
MikeF:
Justin, I believe there is oil pressure from the galleys to the dist shaft (normal). You might need a new seal on the mallory dist. There is a place in Fullerton that could probley help you as they work w/ mallory's. If you were going to move to the MSD, you could do that now.
And Bassett is right down the st. for the Scoop.... :) I am pretty sure the one on there is a MSD

GasTurbine
09-03-2002, 11:40 AM
Do you have any leakage on the dip stick tube?

78Eliminator
09-03-2002, 11:41 AM
GasTurbine:
Do you have any leakage on the dip stick tube?None.

HM
09-03-2002, 12:10 PM
It is pretty normal to leak out the distributor hole if you have a bad or loose seal. The reason oil comes out of here easily is due to oil being pumped/directed by the distributor gears (ever notice that oil only gets to one side of the motor when you manually turn the oil pump through the distributor hole?) The oil climbs up the distributor - but is not under pressure and is any easy seal to fix by just tightening in most cases.
Since you just set your timing, you may have not gotten a good seal, especially if you turned the distributor while the engine was running. What can happen is that the distributor can actually climb out a bit while running and adjusting the timing. You should loosen the distributor clamp, push the distributor all the way down (inspect the gasket also) and re-tighted and recheck your timing as it may advance a touch. If that doesn't work, get a new seal and replace (make a timing mark at the base of the distributor and the intake so that you don't have to wander as much when resetting the timing, assuming you get the distributor back in the same gear placing).
If it continues to leak, look for cracks in the intake manifold around the dist hole.

Hotcrusader76
09-03-2002, 12:12 PM
HolyMoly:
It is pretty normal to leak out the distributor hole if you have a bad or loose seal. The reason oil comes out of here easily is due to oil being pumped/directed by the distributor gears (ever notice that oil only gets to one side of the motor when you manually turn the oil pump through the distributor hole?) The oil climbs up the distributor - but is not under pressure and is any easy seal to fix by just tightening in most cases.
Since you just set your timing, you may have not gotten a good seal, especially if you turned the distributor while the engine was running. What can happen is that the distributor can actually climb out a bit while running and adjusting the timing. You should loosen the distributor clamp, push the distributor all the way down (inspect the gasket also) and re-tighted and recheck your timing as it may advance a touch. If that doesn't work, get a new seal and replace (make a timing mark at the base of the distributor and the intake so that you don't have to wander as much when resetting the timing, assuming you get the distributor back in the same gear placing).
If it continues to leak, look for cracks in the intake manifold around the dist hole.But the leak is on the inside! Hmmmm????

78Eliminator
09-03-2002, 12:13 PM
HolyMoly:
If that doesn't work, get a new seal and replace.Where can I get one?

HM
09-03-2002, 12:20 PM
Is the leak on the inside?
If that is the problem, then you need to call Ignition Engineering/OC Speed (Anaheim). Try not to give them too many specifics on your application as they will tell you that your doing it all wrong. They are cool guys, but they are good streeters....not boaters.
You can get a gasket at most autoparts, but you have to brave their damn computer system! Ignition Engineering can mail you one for a few bucks. Just tell them the MSD you have.

MikeF
09-03-2002, 12:21 PM
78Eliminator:
MikeF:
And Bassett is right down the st. for the Scoop.... :) I am pretty sure the one on there is a MSDMaybe I was remembering it on cyclone's boat.

blowngas
09-04-2002, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeF:
[QB][QUOTE]Originally posted by 78Eliminator:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeF:
[qb]Justin, I believe there is oil pressure from the galleys to the dist shaft (normal). You might need a new seal on the mallory dist. There is a place in Fullerton that could probley help you as they work w/ mallory's. If you were going to move to the MSD, you could do that now.
Have a buddy with a blown chevy running an msd billet dist.---it would get oil inside---msd couldn't find anything wrong---finally had to go with large "burn down" breathers vented to the headers "zoomies" to relieve the blowby---problem solved---