PDA

View Full Version : 496Mag vs 496-HO How To Tell The Difference?

Wizard29
07-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Hi all,
It was suggested to me I post this here instead of in the "Gearheads" forum since I might get a better response here.....
I have a Magic Wizard with a procharged 496 and Bravo III from an '03 HTM. The previous owner seems to think the 496 is the HO, but is not absolutely sure. I'd like to be absolutely sure because I'd like to know what my outputs are as well as what my RPM ranges are.
The engine is without the plastic cover that denotes 496 or 496-HO. Is there any way to tell cosmetically what engine that is from the outside other than that cover? If I could simply look at it and tell which one it is, that would be great. However, if I have to pull a serial number from it and call Merc, that's fine, but where is that number?
Any help is appreciated.....
-Joe

Havasu_Dreamin
07-28-2005, 08:59 AM
Check the bar code on the ECU, I thik it will say what motor it is.

RiverToysJas
07-28-2005, 09:10 AM
IF the Merc ECU is still installed a Merc Mech can plug it into the computer and tell you everything about the motor. Hours @ all RPM ranges, temps, etc.
RTJas :D

desertbird
07-28-2005, 09:25 AM
1) Get the S/N off the motor.
2) Go to Mercury Parts Express and input the S/N (pretend you want to buy something) HERE (http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/PartsExpress/ProductSelection/ServiceParts/sphome.asp?CID=)
3) Pick any dealer that comes up (still pretend you want to buy something)
4) Next screen pops up with the parts list, and at the top you will see the S/N along with the description. (HO, etc)
VIOLA! ;)
Alternatively you can call Merc with the S/N, but the web will be faster.

Wizard29
07-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Sounds good. I don't have a problem giving Merc a call, but where is the serial number? There are a few numbers on that thing and I want to make sure I get the right one.....
-Joe

phuggit
07-28-2005, 09:45 AM
If you're facing the front of your motor, look at the right side valve cover. The injection/computer stuff is mounted just above the valve cover. There is a sticker with a barcode on it. It should have the 496 mag or 496 mag Ho wording printed on it.

Dave C
07-28-2005, 10:16 AM
what these guys said.
You're looking for the rectangular shaped main box. It has "Motorola" typed on it. Its mounted on the right valve cover with the main harness plugged into it.

RiverToysJas
07-28-2005, 10:44 AM
BTW....Merc sells the stickers to make your 496MAG plastic cover into a 496HO for about $7. That's a savings of like $3,993 over the actual upgrade.

phuggit
07-28-2005, 10:47 AM
BTW....Merc sells the stickers to make your 496MAG plastic cover into a 496HO for about $7. That's a savings of like $3,993 over the actual upgrade.
LMAO. I'm sure it has been done.

rrrr
07-28-2005, 10:57 AM
LOL !! :D :D

Wizard29
07-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the help guys. The boat is at the river now, but I will check it the next time I'm there.
If anybody else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
-Joe

voodoomedman
07-28-2005, 02:51 PM
If anybody else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
-Joe
Find someone with the exact same boat and for sure has an HO in it. Both of you put the hammer down and if he beats you by 1-2 mph then you know you just have the Mag. :D

Tom Brown
07-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Throw on a "Type-R" sticker for even more Oooos and Aaaaaas. :cool:

RiverToysJas
07-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Find someone with the exact same boat and for sure has an HO in it. Both of you put the hammer down and if he beats you by 1-2 mph then you know you just have the Mag. :D
LOL! That's FACT!

RiverToysJas
07-29-2005, 12:12 AM
ZGo to bed BIACH! lol
As soon as work stops calling me I will!!!! :hammerhea I'm not sure if I'm important, or just stupid! :rolleyes:

dicudmore
07-29-2005, 08:34 AM
good idea but he has the Procharger so hopefully he'd be doing the winning :cool:

Beer-30
07-29-2005, 08:39 AM
Sounds good. I don't have a problem giving Merc a call, but where is the serial number? There are a few numbers on that thing and I want to make sure I get the right one.....
-Joe
Just buy Dicumore's boat and you will have a stock HO to compare it with. LOL! :D

dicudmore
07-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Just buy Dicumore's boat and you will have a stock HO to compare it with. LOL! :D
that's a thought :wink:

Keith E. Sayre
07-29-2005, 05:52 PM
they send us to all of these Merc meetings and training etc and I do stay awake!
If you go to the front of the motor and feel the back side of the dampener
coming off the crank on the front end of the engine, if you feel bumps on
the back side, then it is an HO version of the 496.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400

Sane Asylum
07-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the help guys. The boat is at the river now, but I will check it the next time I'm there.
-Joe
Oh sure,,,,,,,Get us going then tell us you can't even use all of this great ***boat information.......
Jeez..........I stayed up late to see what you had.......

Wizard29
07-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Oh sure,,,,,,,Get us going then tell us you can't even use all of this great ***boat information.......
Jeez..........I stayed up late to see what you had.......
You guys are hilarious. Glad I found these forums.
Yeah, I won't be able to use this good info until I get to the river next. Believe me, I'd rather be there. Have to wait until August 19, though.
Keith, thanks for that tip. I wondered if there was any way to tell by simply looking (or feeling). Next trip I'll feel up my dampener and see if it has nipples. Are they larger bumps or smaller bumps like casting flash would leave?
-Joe

Dave C
08-01-2005, 09:41 AM
LMAO