PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ripped off

HCS
07-28-2005, 11:05 AM
My brother-in law owns a old clamp on Bayliner. Which I take no claim to. :D
Well we have this boat-in only camping trip planned in 2 weeks. With out asking me because I would have told him to sell the pos. He decides to get it re-upholstered before our camping trip. So he takes it to this guy that says he specializes in marine uphostery. The guy gives him an estimate of 4000 bucks. :jawdrop: Now this boat isn't even worth 2000 dollars if he was lucky. I figure oh well you just dumped four grand into your Bayliner.
Now with 2 weeks until our trip the guy calls him back and says he needs another 15 hundred bucks and it won't be done in time. :hammerhea
So now my brother in law wants to know what I'd do? Now the guy gave him a 4000 dollar estimate and says he ran into more damage so he needs 1500 more bucks. 1st off I told him to tell the guy to pound salt, get your boat out of there and buy something else. :mad:
Well he said this guys telling him he already started the project and there's no turning back. Now he's in a jam with this guy. I'm still insisting that he drive to the shop and pull his P.O.S. out of there. He's wondering what legal rights he has and if he can do that?
What would you guys do? Say if it was your boat, not necessarily his Bayliner. :rolleyes: :idea:

CandyA$$
07-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Go get your boat and get some money back.
I doubt that he has done that much work on it.
But I would go down and see it first.

Her454
07-28-2005, 11:09 AM
The guy gives him an estimate of 4000 bucks.
No signed work order? I would get my boat NOW.

Sleek-Jet
Go get it, settle the bill for what has been done, and take my boat somewhere else. I sure as hell wouldn't give him another 1500.00 . :devil:
First off, I would have gotten a written estimate, only paid a deposit to start the work, and checked the guys work on other boats before continuing. Not necessarily in that order

Keithb87
Pull the boat. might try to work out a deal for materials and time just to be fair but I would insist that he stop all work on the boat right now.

Wonderboy
07-28-2005, 11:11 AM
That's tough. first off I'd go and look and see what kind of damage the guy is talking about. Unfortunately an estimate is just that and there isn't much your brother can do except take his business elswhere. But then this jerk off upholstry guy has made off with 4000 bucks. I would think that if 4000 dollars of work obviously has not been done, then there can be some legal action. But that would also be expensive and hard to prove.

Her454
Didnt Justin (78 Elim) have a similar issue a few years ago with his green boat? If I remember correctly they were screwing him around and some fellow hot boaters went and picked the boat up for him....... :D

HCS
Go get your boat and get some money back.
I doubt that he has done that much work on it.
But I would go down and see it first.
He just got the call from this guy this morning. That's what I'm telling him. Take your truck down there and get the thing out. I think the guy's a rip off.

HCS
07-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Well I gave him some ammo and got him fired up. He's on his way down there. :D

CandyA$$
07-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Well I gave him some ammo and got him fired up. He's on his way down there. :D
Please do let us know what happens.

dicudmore
07-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Didnt Justin (78 Elim) have a similar issue a few years ago with his green boat? If I remember correctly they were screwing him around and some fellow hot boaters went and picked the boat up for him....... :D
yes, a certain boat builder picked up Justin's boat :cool:

Wake Havasu
07-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Here's a good thread for your brother.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86965

Boozer
07-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Why would your brother even consider paying $4,000 to reupholster his Bayliner in the first place? Thats an outrageous price.

meaniam
07-28-2005, 02:01 PM
My brother-in law owns a old clamp on Bayliner. Which I take no claim to. :D
Well we have this boat-in only camping trip planned in 2 weeks. With out asking me because I would have told him to sell the pos. He decides to get it re-upholstered before our camping trip. So he takes it to this guy that says he specializes in marine uphostery. The guy gives him an estimate of 4000 bucks. :jawdrop: Now this boat isn't even worth 2000 dollars if he was lucky. I figure oh well you just dumped four grand into your Bayliner.
Now with 2 weeks until our trip the guy calls him back and says he needs another 15 hundred bucks and it won't be done in time. :hammerhea
So now my brother in law wants to know what I'd do? Now the guy gave him a 4000 dollar estimate and says he ran into more damage so he needs 1500 more bucks. 1st off I told him to tell the guy to pound salt, get your boat out of there and buy something else. :mad:
Well he said this guys telling him he already started the project and there's no turning back. Now he's in a jam with this guy. I'm still insisting that he drive to the shop and pull his P.O.S. out of there. He's wondering what legal rights he has and if he can do that?
What would you guys do? Say if it was your boat, not necessarily his Bayliner. :rolleyes: :idea:
if an est. is in writing the shop legally has to honor it. what else could be fed up other then foam. was he alerted to the possibilty of further damage

meaniam
07-28-2005, 02:04 PM
That's tough. first off I'd go and look and see what kind of damage the guy is talking about. Unfortunately an estimate is just that and there isn't much your brother can do except take his business elswhere. But then this jerk off upholstry guy has made off with 4000 bucks. I would think that if 4000 dollars of work obviously has not been done, then there can be some legal action. But that would also be expensive and hard to prove.
the only thing he could be charged is teardown time. and i belive that has to be in writing. the sad thing is nobody will listen to your problem. only the courts

Mike.A
07-28-2005, 02:10 PM
4000 bucks for that, 1st that is about double what I paid to have my boat done, and there is alot of upholstry in my boat. 2nd, pay at the very most 1/2 down to get it going, I didnt pay anything. All on completion.
But the very 1st thing that should be done is go look at whats been done and whats left. Then decide if pulling the boat is the way to go.

HCS
07-28-2005, 02:59 PM
Don't ask me why in the world he would pay 4k for upholstery in a Bayliner.
The guy says it needs wood replaced. Woop de do. So he has to cut some plywood. Like I told him he needs to go down there and evaluate the situation. He figured 4k was cheeper than getting another boat. 'I guess' :rolleyes:
My best advice was to have the guy stop work on it and get your boat out. Even if you have to pay something for inspection. Sheesh. It's bad enough he agreed on 4000. I hope he doesn't agree on 5500. :eek: :220v: :hammerhea

Wonderboy
07-28-2005, 04:38 PM
the only thing he could be charged is teardown time. and i belive that has to be in writing. the sad thing is nobody will listen to your problem. only the courts
That's what I'm saying. If the guy is claiming that 4000 bucks worth of work has been done, then who's going to help get the boat owners' money back? He would have to take it to court.

Moe_Havi
07-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Sometimes these slimeballs figure that if this guy went for the 4 g's to begin with (based on looking at the bayliner and maybe based on its lack of value) why not shoot for the moon. I'm not saying the buyer is dumb. I myself don't do a lot of work on my boat. Maybe he is just not savey in pricing this out. You got to go fight with this guy and get him fixing it or remove it.
Moe

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
07-28-2005, 05:39 PM
i bet the interior guy is banking on your bro to just say oh well,,the boat aint worth that much..you can have it.why do you think so many interior shops,body and stereo shops have stuff for sale.

meaniam
07-28-2005, 05:45 PM
look at it and if its not bad. tell him just to do the job, without replacing the wood. you would know better then your bro. what is ok and what is not. you wouldnt have dropped that bayliner from the 80s off in the first place. its all about a throw blanket

coolchange
07-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Damage control. Tell the guy to either stop and work out whats already been done or hes gonna have to try and lean sale it for the money. I hope he didn't pay up front. Half is what I get up front depending on the boat and customer. Something like that I would recomend the customer call Overtons or such and get ready made seats and just carpet most everything else. 4k could be nothing for an interior but I don't think Bayliner made an OB bigger than 18? :hammerhea

Krazy K
07-28-2005, 05:55 PM
No offense, but $4000 for upohlestry???? Is it lined in gold leaf?? :p

meaniam
07-28-2005, 06:48 PM
krazy k what brings you to the mountain

Krazy K
07-28-2005, 06:59 PM
krazy k what brings you to the mountain
School...
My aunt is letting me stay in her basement rent-free while I attend San Bernardino Valley and then Cal State, San Berdo. I'l be helping her with things around the house and cleaning and such to make up for the rent. Once I'm done, I'll probably move back up here, but live out on the coast.

C-2
07-28-2005, 07:52 PM
It's what you call financing the owners business. He saw a cash flow source, took it and now doesn't have the money to finish the job (since he used the cash to pay bills). Oldest trick in the boat building biz.
Get the boat back, take it to real shop, have them finish the job and then sue the first guy to recover whatever he was raped for. Make sure it's all documented/with pictures. The more estimates the better. In small claims court, paper talks. This has Judge Judy written all over it.

meaniam
07-28-2005, 08:43 PM
School...
My aunt is letting me stay in her basement rent-free while I attend San Bernardino Valley and then Cal State, San Berdo. I'l be helping her with things around the house and cleaning and such to make up for the rent. Once I'm done, I'll probably move back up here, but live out on the coast.
you familiar with the mountain. maybe ill see you up there one day. just remember the chp sucks. so keep that in mind when you are trying to make a 10min pass. sherrif tend to ride the crestline peeps to

HCS
07-28-2005, 09:19 PM
He must be rebuilding the whole boat. My brother-in law says it will be done in two weeks. Just in time for our trip. :squiggle:
OK!!!!!!.............Whatever! :eat:

Mike.A
07-29-2005, 07:07 AM
Sooooooo,
Did he fork over the other 1500 or did he work it out ?
Just Curious. :idea:

Dave C
07-29-2005, 07:29 AM
wow $4,000 thats alot.
I paid $1,300 for all brand new interior for my 21 Eliminator. the entire thing.
Good god!!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

2Driver
07-29-2005, 07:33 AM
If you go soley by the math...
Boat market value +$2,000
Boat repair bill comes to -$5,500
----------------------------------
upside down by -$3,500
Abandon ship and save $3,500

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-29-2005, 07:35 AM
Something like that I would recomend the customer call Overtons or such and get ready made seats and just carpet most everything else. 4k could be nothing for an interior but I don't think Bayliner made an OB bigger than 18? :hammerhea
I would have gone the Overton's route as well. They have some pretty nice ready-made seats for that style of boat. I would rather be driving in web chairs and throw rugs than pay that cheat 5500 to re-upholster a 4-5 thousand dollar boat. Heck, he could have got a fairly nice cruiser complete with interior and a big block for that price! LOL

HCS
07-29-2005, 08:00 AM
Sooooooo,
Did he fork over the other 1500 or did he work it out ?
Just Curious. :idea:
Ya I guess he did. The guy said it needed some fiberglass and plywood repair.
He turned the screws on the guy because he wanted back in time for our vacation trip. I guess he didn't want to loose the job. Don't blame him for that kind of bucks. I'd try to pump it out too. :rolleyes:
I guess it will (better) be one nice Bayliner for his sake. :sqeyes:

Sleek-Jet
07-29-2005, 08:13 AM
I guess it will (better) be one nice Bayliner for his sake. :sqeyes:
It's kind of like trying to polish a turd... :D

Essexive G's
07-29-2005, 08:19 AM
Pray for corn! After you're done polishing you'll at least have the corn.
Looking on the bright side! :mix:

HCS
08-02-2005, 03:56 PM
It's going to be a polished turd all right. He's forking out 3 times what the boat is worth. :sqeyes: $6500.00 :hammerhea Somebody saw him comming.
Dish out the bucks buddy!

Sleek-Jet
08-02-2005, 04:31 PM
It's going to be a polished turd all right. He's forking out 3 times what the boat is worth. :sqeyes: $6500.00 :hammerhea Somebody saw him comming.
Dish out the bucks buddy!
You should start calling it his "P.T." boat.... LOL... :D