PDA

View Full Version : Putting +/- pressure sensors in the tunnels for data aquisition, let's talk.

DeputyDawg
07-29-2005, 10:50 AM
After talking about putting several sensors in the pump on the "race boat in progress" we got to wondering this morning if we could maybe benefit from putting some kind of sensors in the tunnels of the boat as well to monitor high and low pressure areas there. It seems like this would be a good tuning tool to tell you what kind of balance you had and how close you were to blow over situations. Has anyone done this before? It seems to make sense to me. The buddy who owns the boat is a computer guru and he is building most of the aquisition system so it won't cost all that much more to add some sensors in the tunnels.

sdpm
07-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Hey Dawg, the more data you can get the better. I don't know about a blow over condition. If you get to that point most likely it is too late to doo anything. Just be careful not to get overwhelmed and go solely on data. Common sense go's a long way and with the two of them, they work well together. It sure has helped me. I wouldn't race without one now after using one.

DeputyDawg
07-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Ya, I guess if you had the data for a blowover point it would mean that you had blown over huh... I think we are going to give it a try we just have to decide where to put them in the tunnels. It looks like we will be able to run six sensors in the tunnels with our data system.

sdpm
07-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Hey Dawg, somebody you might want to talk to is Jeff Bennett. He is very up on this subject and has done alot of testing on Keith Zellmers old boat and he has alot of good working knowledge in this area. Great gut to talk too also. Keep me posted on what you find out and where you put them. I am also very interested in this area. Good luck. Neil

DeputyDawg
07-29-2005, 12:42 PM
How can I get in touch with Jeff Bennett?

sdpm
07-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Dawg, check your pm's.

DeputyDawg
07-29-2005, 04:47 PM
I got the PM and thank you. It will be interesting to find out what his thoughts are on where the sensors should go.

Cs19
07-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Id also reccomend getting in touch with Jeff (if your serious about this) Hes done this same thing on a placecraft, and it was useful, but I think I remember him saying it was a tempermental set up, but useful.

DeputyDawg
07-29-2005, 06:54 PM
I am going to try and call him tomorrow.

UBFJ #454
07-31-2005, 12:01 PM
DeputyDawg -
So ... What did Bennett have to Say?

DeputyDawg
07-31-2005, 01:07 PM
I haven't tried to call him yet, I was told the weekend was not a good time to call so I was going to wait until Monday. I will update the this thread after I talk to him.

bp
07-31-2005, 07:04 PM
dd, personally, i don't think the sponson thing is worthwhile. i'd much rather use the sensors on the center sponson, some distances in front of the intake, then close to the intake. hopefully you're also installing a speed pickup and speed sensor, because that will be very helpful.
i agree with neil that more data is better. data collection is an invaluable tool. but keep in mind that it is just that; one tool. you still need to have people watching that know what to look for, and also know what the boat felt like. just getting a boat to the point where it will make good solid smooth passes, where the data can be used for fine tuning, is sometimes a long struggle in itself.
for example, your boat may have a porpoise/unload at 3/4 track (or any other of a myriad of issues), and the data supports that, but you most likely already knew that just from driving the thing and from the people watching it. or, the thing is so tight the sponsons are dragging to 200'. data can relate that to you, but so can feel, observation, and timeslips. the guys that are getting the biggest bang from data collection are the one's that have the issues resolved, and are using it for fine tuning. that's when the boat consistently makes good -looking- runs, visual and feel doesn't really identify what could be different, and the data is invaluable.
jeffb is a good friend. his day job may have him busy at the moment and for the next week or so, but keep trying...

DeputyDawg
07-31-2005, 09:37 PM
Thank you bp for taking the time to post. That is valuable information and I completely agree with you. We have a lot to learn I'm sure. Boats are about the only thing we haven't raced or competed in some way with, but we are looking forward to it and we are going to try to run as many races as we can next year and maybe even pop out west a time or two. If we are lucky we might be able to shake it down once this year but we aren't going to rush it.