PDA

View Full Version : Sandbar in the Channel

Not So Fast
07-29-2005, 05:59 PM
While takin an afternoon dip today we saw numerous boats hit the new sandbar at the entrance to the channel from Thompsons Bay, mainland side at the point where the drainedge ditch empties into the channel just north of Rotary Beach. There was a bouy marking the hazard but somehow it is in the middle of the channel now. The sandbar has some big rocks in it and as of today was about 2 feet deep under the water. A couple of the boats hit pretty hard so BEWARE :eek: :eek: NSF

Mrs Luvnlife
07-29-2005, 06:03 PM
While takin an afternoon dip today we saw numerous boats hit the new sandbar at the entrance to the channel from Thompsons Bay, mainland side at the point where the drainedge ditch empties into the channel just north of Rotary Beach. There was a bouy marking the hazard but somehow it is in the middle of the channel now. The sandbar has some big rocks in it and as of today was about 2 feet deep under the water. A couple of the boats hit pretty hard so BEWARE :eek: :eek: NSF
Thanks!!!!! :supp: Guess you know which way to head towards to visit us!!! :D :D :D ;)

Starloans
07-29-2005, 06:07 PM
I havn't been in a couple of weeks but I THINK that bouy is a black and white striped which means you shouldn't navagate between the bouy and the shore which begs to question if its in the middle and you don't know the rock bar is on the right entering, which way should you go. Oh well. :confused:
Other Non-Lateral Markers
Safe Water Mark
These are white with red vertical stripes and indicate unobstructed water on all sides. They mark mid-channels or fairways and may be passed on either side.
Inland Waters
Obstruction Mark
These are white with black vertical stripes and indicate an obstruction to navigation. You should not pass between these buoys and the shore.
Mooring Buoys
These are white with a blue horizontal band. They are usually placed in marinas and other areas where boats are allowed to anchor. These are the only buoys you may legally tie up to.

meaniam
07-29-2005, 06:38 PM
proably saved some drive and props, with this post

SummitKarl
07-29-2005, 07:06 PM
welcome to the rainy season :cool:

cola
07-29-2005, 07:20 PM
It was in the center last weekend. If you have any common sence you can read the lay of the land and know the water, sand & rocks are comming from the east. I got a few dumb looks staying to the west of the striped buoy entering the channel. ( o-well ) :yuk:
Late, Mike

Not So Fast
07-30-2005, 06:50 AM
Wow, try to post a solid for fellow boaters in hopes of saving thier props and you get crap-weasel reponses, go figure :idea: Point being was that the warning bouy has been moved, and who expects a sandbar to be 40feet or so from the waters edge in the channel for Gods sake! Obviously not the newer 29 Shockwave or the new Howard Bullet we saw hit it!! NSF

dicudmore
07-30-2005, 06:53 AM
Wow, try to post a solid for fellow boaters in hopes of saving thier props and you get crap-weasel reponses, go figure :idea: Point being was that the warning bouy has been moved, and who expects a sandbar to be 40feet or so from the waters edge in the channel for Gods sake! Obviously not the newer 29 Shockwave or the new Howard Bullet we saw hit it!! NSF
Thanks NSF :D
You're absolutely right... people run inside on that bouy all the time

riverrunner
07-30-2005, 06:54 AM
I appreciate the warning NSF, knowing me I would have hit it. Thanks.

One Particular Harbor
07-30-2005, 07:00 AM
You're right...sometimes you get used to how the channel or a certain part of the lake lay out, and then don't pay enough attention to the fact that things have changed.
Good to know what to be on the look out for. And I, too, have received funny looks for swinging wide out around the bouy entering the channel.
OPH

Garrddogg
07-30-2005, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the heads up!!
hit that last year..

dicudmore
07-30-2005, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up!!
hit that last year..
last year?? :wink:

Starloans
07-30-2005, 07:59 AM
It was in the center last weekend. If you have any common sence you can read the lay of the land and know the water, sand & rocks are comming from the east. I got a few dumb looks staying to the west of the striped buoy entering the channel. ( o-well ) :yuk:
Late, Mike
Mike,
WTF? That's too complicated, especially for the drunks. :D YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT THE CHANNEL FOR GODS SAKES!!!! STAY TO THE WEST??? Which way is west????? :)
Next thing you know you'll want boaters to take a navigation and boat safty class!!! Ya think all the boaters at the zoo could make it to Catalina without getting lost? :idea:
If we could get all the Lice and Roll Bar boats to "engage" that rock bar the lake would be a lot safer. Oh shit, did I say that out loud?...I'll probably catch some shit for that one.
Mike do you think all the jet ski rentals and wake board boats with a 19 year old behind the wheel knows what "red right returning" means?
I certainly don't know everything about boating but at least once every weekend I'm at the zoo I say to my self. "this place scares the hell out of me, I'm going to sell my boat and stay home" :eek:
Sorry to go off on a tangent. :D Just messing with ya.
NSF, thanks for the reminder about the rock bar.

ZZ-Man
07-30-2005, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the info Not So Fast. I'll past the word as well.

JB in so cal
07-30-2005, 08:20 AM
Mike,
WTF? That's too complicated, especially for the drunks. :D YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT THE CHANNEL FOR GODS SAKES!!!! STAY TO THE WEST??? Which way is west????? :)
Next thing you know you'll want boaters to take a navigation and boat safty class!!! Ya think all the boaters at the zoo could make it to Catalina without getting lost? :idea:
If we could get all the Lice and Roll Bar boats to "engage" that rock bar the lake would be a lot safer. Oh shit, did I say that out loud?...I'll probably catch some shit for that one.
Mike do you think all the jet ski rentals and wake board boats with a 19 year old behind the wheel knows what "red right returning" means?
I certainly don't know everything about boating but at least once every weekend I'm at the zoo I say to my self. "this place scares the hell out of me, I'm going to sell my boat and stay home" :eek:
If they have a flat-brim cap on - NO

RexRathburn
07-30-2005, 08:25 AM
Wow, try to post a solid for fellow boaters in hopes of saving thier props and you get crap-weasel reponses, go figure
I'm sure that most appreciate your post and the heads up. :cool:
Crap Weasel...that's funny. :) I'm going to try to use this term more in my day to day life. It cracks me up every time I hear it. :mix:
http://www.thetoque.com/030211/crapweasel.htm
Rex -easily amused- Rathburn

Not So Fast
07-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Got a call from the LHPD and their response was that, and I love this, that they have witnessed HOUSEBOATS drive over the bouy or power off the beach and drag it until if falls free or they stop them to tell them they ran over the bouy and are dragging it with them :messedup: CLASSIC!!! It will be placed in the proper spot before the weekend, or thats what they told me. Still take care NSF

BajaMike
07-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Crap weasel..... :D
""There are no crap weasels in captivity, as the overpowering scent of decaying feces is too much for would-be human handlers. Instead, what little information that does exist comes from the sporadic accounts of hunters, hikers, and herbalists. These reports indicate that the weasel rolls around in its own offal, making it repulsive to predators, but also to its mates. Its main diet consists of roots and tubers, but has been seen eating mice, voles and vores. It's an open question as to how the crap weasel can get close enough to catch its prey without its own repugnant scent giving it away.""
Too funny!!!

Ziggy
07-30-2005, 02:58 PM
That sandbar has been growing the last few years in leaps...may be part(I said only part) of the reason they don't have boat parking at that end since it has narrowed the entrance significantly. Two abreast boats is tight enough without 30 footers beached in that area.
Kudo's to you NSF for the headsup to fellow HB'ers...sure hope that Howard wasn't E502.
Speaking of shallow....entering the river at the reed island is getting less comfortable too..had to drift/walk off the sand there a few weeks back...pulled up trim just in time :supp:

Not So Fast
07-30-2005, 03:14 PM
That sandbar has been growing the last few years in leaps...may be part(I said only part) of the reason they don't have boat parking at that end since it has narrowed the entrance significantly. Two abreast boats is tight enough without 30 footers beached in that area.
Kudo's to you NSF for the headsup to fellow HB'ers...sure hope that Howard wasn't E502.
Speaking of shallow....entering the river at the reed island is getting less comfortable too..had to drift/walk off the sand there a few weeks back...pulled up trim just in time :supp:
PD did say they were going to excavate as soon as they get it figured out, which will be just in time for more rain which in turn will fill it right back up :rollside: The lake level is back up now so the marsh area is cool going up river, but no matter how many times we go up I still miss that damn main channel once in a while :confused: those reeds all look the same to me and my co-pilot Adolph Coors :D NSF

Ziggy
07-30-2005, 03:17 PM
PD did say they were going to excavate as soon as they get it figured out, which will be just in time for more rain which in turn will fill it right back up :rollside: The lake level is back up now so the marsh area is cool going up river, but no matter how many times we go up I still miss that damn main channel once in a while :confused: those reeds all look the same to me and my co-pilot Adolph Coors :D NSF
The reeds do tend to blend in until you get right up on them.....
Go Chargers! Still got my ChargerJack on the truck antenna :p

Throttle
07-30-2005, 03:31 PM
The lake level is back up now so the marsh area is cool going up river, but no matter how many times we go up I still miss that damn main channel once in a while :confused: those reeds all look the same to me and my co-pilot Adolph Coors :D NSF
I think I saw you near sandbar yesterday, cold one next week is on me... Friday ? thanks for the info, I saw that marker in da middle of the channel too.... things that make you say, mmmmmmmmmmm.

cola
07-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Throttle, thanks for the maps. I will put them to good use come Wed. I hope Lake Powell is good to us. :cool: Do you need me to send the maps back when I get back. I am looking for a bottle of wine I love to send you. Thanks again for the maps.
Late, Mike

phebus
07-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Please don't send Throttle any wine. He has trouble holding his alcohol. :D

Not So Fast
07-30-2005, 04:07 PM
Crap weasel..... :D
""There are no crap weasels in captivity, as the overpowering scent of decaying feces is too much for would-be human handlers. Instead, what little information that does exist comes from the sporadic accounts of hunters, hikers, and herbalists. These reports indicate that the weasel rolls around in its own offal, making it repulsive to predators, but also to its mates. Its main diet consists of roots and tubers, but has been seen eating mice, voles and vores. It's an open question as to how the crap weasel can get close enough to catch its prey without its own repugnant scent giving it away.""
Too funny!!!
That is funny :D :D :D NSF

cola
07-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Mike,
Now I know you know whats going on. You have your Captain's lic. Anyone that would lead a 22' Placecraft from Ocean Side to Catalina & leave to go home a dark, has got to know whats up. Your the master. ;)
When you buying a race boat??? I want a ride.
Late, Mike

cola
07-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Please don't send Throttle any wine. He has trouble holding his alcohol. :D
Should I send him two bottles fo water then. :squiggle:

cola
07-30-2005, 04:12 PM
I'am sorry if I sounded like that. I guess I should read my posts first.
Sorry, Mike :hammer2:

Not So Fast
07-30-2005, 04:16 PM
I think I saw you near sandbar yesterday, cold one next week is on me... Friday ? thanks for the info, I saw that marker in da middle of the channel too.... things that make you say, mmmmmmmmmmm.
We will be boating a lot next week and the week after, lots of folks in town, hope to see ya, later NSF

Starloans
07-30-2005, 06:58 PM
Now I know you know whats going on. You have your Captain's lic. Anyone that would lead a 22' Placecraft from Ocean Side to Catalina & leave to go home a dark, has got to know whats up. Your the master. ;)
When you buying a race boat??? I want a ride.
Late, Mike
I don't have a Cap license. However I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night. :D
Actually, I did 9+ years in the Navy and I was Quatermaster of the watch qualified and I do carry on board my boat and am familiar with the US Department of Transportation (now Dept of Homeland Security) US Coast Guard Navigation Rules International and Inland.
Navigation Rules (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1577851579/qid=1122691961/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_ur_2_2/002-7491280-7084830)
But it wasn't the darkness. If you remember, we hit a Fog bank about 10 miles out of Oceanside. Nasty. All I had was handheld GPS and marine radio. The other guys didn't have anything.......nothing.
And I don't race boats. That's Faster Daddy. He owns the Laveycraft F1-11. I don't hear from him much since he bought that boat. I don't think his wife does either. :jawdrop: :D

cola
07-30-2005, 07:41 PM
I don't have a Cap license. However I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night. :D
Actually, I did 9+ years in the Navy and I was Quatermaster of the watch qualified and I do carry on board my boat and am familiar with the US Department of Transportation (now Dept of Homeland Security) US Coast Guard Navigation Rules International and Inland.
Navigation Rules (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1577851579/qid=1122691961/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_ur_2_2/002-7491280-7084830)
But it wasn't the darkness. If you remember, we hit a Fog bank about 10 miles out of Oceanside. Nasty. All I had was handheld GPS and marine radio. The other guys didn't have anything.......nothing.
And I don't race boats. That's Faster Daddy. He owns the Laveycraft F1-11. I don't hear from him much since he bought that boat. I don't think his wife does either. :jawdrop: :D
I know Faster has one, I just figured you would have one also. :smile:
The other guys had you, thats all they need. Well have to meet in Catalina again this winter.
Late, Mike