PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe?

Sleek468
07-30-2005, 07:43 PM
I would like to put a blower on my motor but I don't know how long it will last if I do. It's a 468ci. BBC two bolt with steel crank,GM rods 7/16 bolts,Hipertectic pistons,high volume oil pump,and real nice valve train. I was thinking of mabe a Wiend 8/71 and I heard if I stay in the low boost levels it will be ok. I don't know if I bolieve this but I wish I could.
I that don't sound like a good idea, Is there a crate engine short block I can purchase that will handle the load. If I had to purchase another block it would have to be able to handle about 800 horse because I should get my monies worth. Thanx!

jtmarten
07-30-2005, 07:56 PM
When I was putting together parts for my rebuild, the local Chevy guru told me a 2-bolt main will handle around 550hp. RPM doesn't matter, just the HP.

wideopen545
07-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Hipertectic pistons not good for blower motors

SmokinLowriderSS
07-30-2005, 08:17 PM
You could likely put 4 or 5 psi in it and it'd be OK I think. Get a 4-bolt main and go for 8 psi or so if you want to blow it fairly hard. (since all cranks are steel) I'll assume you mean a FORGED steel crank as opposed to my cast one in 454. I'd at LEAST replace the GM 7/16 rod bolts with some from ARP but if you have the HD Boron Steel ones .. they are damned strong. The "std" 7/16 are good but I'd replace w/ blower going on. (Jeggs.com) If you want more than 4 or 5 PSI, I'd get some H-beam rods and ditch the Hyper-U pistons (lotsa folk here have had trouble with those on NA engines). I'd stay with the stock chevy steel rods through arround 600HP though, they are good and strong, with good bolts in them anyhow.

Squirtcha?
07-30-2005, 08:25 PM
You could likely put 4 or 5 psi in it and it'd be OK I think.
Although this is probably true, what's the point in running a blower with only 4-5 psi? You could just build your motor normally aspirated and get the same horsepower without all the hardware.
Unless you just want the cool factor of a blower.
Just an opinion.

moneysucker
07-30-2005, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't run those pistons. As far as a 2 bolt main goes, that is what I have and I run a blown injected 468. I am ARP everything and eagle rods and all good stuff inside. For a 2 bolt to fail you would have to have a catostriphic failure that would have grenaded parts anyways. I am a firm believer in getting your moneys worth out of what you have but I would not recomend going the blower route without building the internals for it. I was doing the bolt this blower on and go thing last year and when I opened up my motor it was like opening a swiss watch where springs went everywhere, Everything had to be new. It gets expensive. And when I was done, and bolted the carbs on and started plumbing the fuel system someone came up with the bright idea to go injected. If I had a wife she would make me stab the voices in my head with a Q tip. Good luck either way.
Cy

b's sanger
07-30-2005, 08:39 PM
forged pistons

DeputyDawg
07-30-2005, 09:30 PM
A good two bolt with the mains studded will handle way more than 550hp. Get rid of those pistons quick though. Save your pennies and do it right don't just rush into it so that you can say you have a blower. Your best bet is to talk to some folks who know blower motors and see what they have to say. Right now those pistons you have are a serious weak link. If you are just looking for a little more power short term while you save up for the blower motor put a small nitrous system on it.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-31-2005, 04:38 AM
Best advice in here is in agreement. I was just trying to address the question directly. It's doable, but of questionable value.
The best thing to do if you want a blown motor is to empty the block out and put in the right parts. There's plenty of meat in the block bottom, just don't let the caps flex. Ditch the pistons for forged low-comp variety, H-beam rods, ARP bolts everywhere, didn't think about a 2-bolt main stud girdle, then redo the valvetrain to work against the blower pressures (heavier springs, 7/16"pushrods, guideplates, cam meant to run with a blower, good steel roller rockers (I have no use for the aluminums).

Squirtcha?
07-31-2005, 07:27 AM
Best advice in here is in agreement. I was just trying to address the question directly. It's doable, but of questionable value.
And I wasn't trying to be argumentative. Just trying to give the guy some food for thought.
I'm in agreement with the dawg on the nitrous thing. The blower thing may not look as cooler, but 100hp nitrous system would give you as much, if not more "GO" as the blower with 4-5 lbs of boost. It's way cheaper, and your stock motor could handle it without any mods. If you want to run a 150hp kit or higher, you'd have to ditch the hypereutetics and go with forged pistons, and better hardware for the bottom end, but the 100hp would work with what you have now.
On my boat the 100hp nitrous system was good for 8 mph.
I know SmokinLowrider uses the goofy gas as well..............
How many hp is your system, and what are the gains from it Smokin?

SmokinLowriderSS
07-31-2005, 09:12 AM
I used to think it was a 150 system but I think it is only a 100HP setup. It's a 27 year old Marvin M Millert under carb setup. Been about 8 or so for us too. Dad had his/my/our 78 Taylor SS 454 at 72 on radar in her prime, no idea without it. Her hull is pretty scarred up currently so she won't make that well. She runs about 65 but I have no GPS #'s on it. Ran 58 without it on an overly rich carb this past june (gps'd) and I have mixture issues settled out now. I was trying a few different things that failed to please me so I went back to 27 years of happiness. Was down a couple hundred RPM and wouldn't carry the Nitrous it was so rich.
Winter project III is carpeting and hull work (and headers to replace my cracking out logs) Should put me at an honest 400+HP plus the N2O.

wsm9808
07-31-2005, 10:41 AM
Sleek468. What is the compression ratio and brand of the pistons you have now? What rpm, speed and impeller are you running now? How fast do you want to run?

Sleek468
08-01-2005, 04:13 PM
-hanx for all your input. The idea of the nitrous was one I thought of before but so many people told me it was a bad idea. I had a 150 shot on my sec. mustang once apon a time and it was fine, athough that was on forged pistions.
To answer you question on the motor they are JE. pistons, 9.8-1 compression, on a/b impeller, and I have no idea how fast but I've seen 5400 rpm out of it. You asked how fast do I want to go? I would like to go as fast as posible, but if I had to put a number on it, I would have to say 100mph!!!!!! But that's another story. A honest 80 would be way cool. A friend of mine has a NOS kit he'll give me, it's preset at 125 hp. If you say I can see 8 mph out of a 100 shot, 125 might just get me to the number I'd like to see, That's if I'm close on the the mph that I'm running now.

wsm9808
08-01-2005, 05:31 PM
OK, I dont think I would concider a blower with 9.8 compression ratio. That is too much compression for a blower if you want to run any boost. You would be limited to only a couple of pounds boost so you would ad very little power for the expense, and with hypereutectic pistons you could get into trouble fast if you get any detonation, especialy under boost conditions.
If you had 8.0 comp in your current combo, I wouldnt be afraid to put on a blower and run up to 6 or 7 pounds.

Sleek468
08-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Is there a crate motor that you know of that will handle a blower? All the ones I see are 9-1. I keep looking for one but can't seem to find one. All I would need is a short block. I keep telling myself I'm going to build it myself but I don't know, it don't seem too difficult. I do work for Fonse Performance in NJ. and was thinking I'll have him build it, but I would really like to do it myself.
And do you think a 125 shot of nitrous would be ok with my current setup?

SmokinLowriderSS
08-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Way to much compression for a blower. I think N2O is the answer you are looking for. I think you could run 100 HP on it OK.
I'm running on a 8.5 to 1 comp 454. Mine looks like 75HP from all the things I ran across JPCalc & DD last night, numbers I have verifiable knowledge of. Mine is looking at some upgrading as well, partly for safety sake. The solenoids are old, unfiltered (individually). I am likely to upgrade the plate and solenoids to some current NOS parts, likely to push it to 100 HP, maybe 125. With the further changes to my engine I have in the works I will "need" Nitrous less and less as I maximize my 454. Should be able to get nearly 500 from her plus N2O and I have only 350 right now (logs & stock heads choking her).

Sleek468
08-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Ya I know what you meen with the stock heads. I have oval ports that I got ported slightly and bigger intake valves drilled in and I'm still not happy. I'm looking for more power for this year and it looks like it will be n2o. Over the winter I would like to get Edlbrock RPM oval ports for it. Although I was thinking of swtching to rec. ports, but alot of people tell me to stick with the ovals for the low end. I love the sound of my cam at 244/246 duration and I would think I would see more out of rec...... What do you think?

Squirtcha?
08-01-2005, 07:55 PM
If your buddy has the 125 kit that he'll give ya, or sell for a reasonable price, that'd probably work fine. The hp ratings are usually a little optimistic anyway. In reality the 125 hp kit is probably closer to 100 actual hp.
Since you're familiar with Nitrous already, I'm sure you know that you may have to back your timing down a degree or two, and always always make sure that you're feeding the extra fuel to go with the nitrous.
The nice thing about the juice is, the motor is a stocker except when ya need that extra 8-10 mph.

Sleek468
08-01-2005, 08:34 PM
And you think it's ok with the hypertectic pistons I'm running?

BLOWN88FRESNO MINI
08-01-2005, 09:00 PM
If interested I have a 454 4 bolt .060 over all machined , just needs a light hone from sitting in my shop for a couple of years. located in fresno $450.00 or a brand new tall deck 454 4 bolt $500.00 plus many other parts avail. all must go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
559-352-1309 cell
559-271-1280 hm aft 6 pm

Sanger D
08-02-2005, 08:51 AM
dude you are,nt gonna do anything but run a mild motor with those pistons,2 bolt will handle more than you think!but a blower huffin out enough boost to be worth a sh#@T is gonna (just to be safe) want a 4 bolt,FORGED pistons are what you need to run ANY kind of big HPI,ve got a mild 454 and ITS a 2 bolt and it has those KIETH BLACK` hyperutectic pistons,cast crank, and3/8 rods and it is MAXED OUT!!!!!!!but if you saw my boat run, you would never beleive that s what was in it!!! :wink: :D any more and it will cost me $$$$ to change EVERY THING!!!!!maybe next year!!

Squirtcha?
08-02-2005, 09:11 AM
And you think it's ok with the hypertectic pistons I'm running?
Most of the manufacturers list their requirements/recommendations for the different size kits. 150 hp seems to be the cutoff for things like forged pistons, extra gapping on the rings, nitrous control boxes etc.
I haven't seen anything on the 125 kit, but everything I've seen on the 100 says you can run em on a stock motor without doing any mods.
If you're really worried about that extra 25 hp from this particular kit, you can always buy a nitrous jetting kit from Nitrous Express, NOS, Edelbrock, or any of the others, and jet it down to 100.
Personally I don't think it'd be that big a deal.

Sleek468
08-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Thankyou for your input.I just ordered a powershot kit from jegs and it should be here by thursday.I can't wait to get to the river to try this stuff out.I heard that it is a unbolievable feeling.I had to order the purge system so I can show off a little bit at the sand bar.As if I need any more of that.I get a lot of looks already because there arent many jetboats in my area.I guess I'll have one more thing to show them.

Speedin' Ian
08-02-2005, 01:23 PM
I didn't bother reading all the post, but it seems like a waste to put a blower on top of a motor that probably won't survive with minimal boost. If you are interested I have a nice 4 bolt block with billet caps, I also have a forged 4.00'' crank, along with dimble rods and forged TRW blower pistons. All of this stuff came out of my old motor, when we upgraded to a 540 and it is in good shape, I'd be willing to make you a great deal on all of it. All you would have to do is a little machining and assemble.

Sleek468
08-02-2005, 02:12 PM
That is something I would really think about.How much are you talking?I live in delaware so is there going to be shipping involed?

Speedin' Ian
08-02-2005, 02:53 PM
someone else is also interested so I will talk to my partners and post a price this evening

Speedin' Ian
08-02-2005, 06:39 PM
$850.00 for everything

Sleek468
08-03-2005, 05:56 AM
Where do you live? Is it something I can come look at?

Speedin' Ian
08-03-2005, 06:38 AM
I live in Southern California... your welcome to come take a look at it, but I think it might be a far drive for you. :wink:

Sleek468
08-03-2005, 06:51 AM
Yea I'd say!!! I think I'll ride over to my machine shop I use and see how much a short block would run me. I need a blower to run with some of these guys.