PDA

View Full Version : Need help removing shaft from berkeley pump

05-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Got a JC pump and im trying to remove the shaft to replace the carrier bearing. I have the impeller off and I have the 4 bolts out of the bearing cap. But, the shaft is not moving. I thought about hitting it with a hammer from the back of the boat, but I figured I better ask you guys before I tear somthing up.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-04-2006, 11:23 AM
use a rubber coated "deadblow" hammer. Lightly tap on the tail end and it will come out. Dont slam it because you can mess the shaft up. Also, if it comes out too fast and you dont catch it then it hits the ground and you have more issues;)

CARLSON-JET
05-04-2006, 12:01 PM
If you have not removed the packing seals that might aid in easier removal. You may also just spray the shaft with wd-40 or whatever to help it slip past. Once you get the bearing out if it is hanging up it is most likely due to the packing.

El Prosecutor
05-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Got a JC pump and im trying to remove the shaft to replace the carrier bearing. I have the impeller off and I have the 4 bolts out of the bearing cap. But, the shaft is not moving. I thought about hitting it with a hammer from the back of the boat, but I figured I better ask you guys before I tear somthing up.
:idea: Go to http://www.americanturbine.com and click on "Support" you can navigate to a Berkeley rebuild manual in .pdf that has color photos and instructions. Makes it pretty easy and takes out a lot of guesswork.

SmokinLowriderSS
05-04-2006, 02:02 PM
If you don't have a deadblow, any good 2-pound ball-pein (I have) or machinists hammer will work fine, just use a chunk of 2x4 between the hammer and the shaft. You DO NOT HAVE TO HIT IT HARD. Especially a 2-pounder or so, just tap and nudge it loose and then slide it out. Even a brass-head hammer is fine (I have a 1-pounder), just don't bang steel on steel.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-04-2006, 05:53 PM
If you have not removed the packing seals that might aid in easier removal. You may also just spray the shaft with wd-40 or whatever to help it slip past. Once you get the bearing out if it is hanging up it is most likely due to the packing.
have fun removing all them packing seals with that shaft in:eek: Hell its hard enough to put them in let alone pulling them out.....

502 JET
05-04-2006, 06:25 PM
have fun removing all them packing seals with that shaft in:eek: Hell its hard enough to put them in let alone pulling them out.....
I plucked out my old packing seals with a hook tool from a pick set they came out nice and easy.

CARLSON-JET
05-04-2006, 08:51 PM
I use main seal puller for when the crank is in the block I believe. It has a flexy shaft with a small cork screw on the end, makes pulling them out a breeze. If you don't use your elbows 396 it makes it easier to install them :)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-04-2006, 10:04 PM
I plucked out my old packing seals with a hook tool from a pick set they came out nice and easy.
I pulled mine the other day and they came out nice and easy. Of course the shaft was out;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-04-2006, 10:05 PM
I use main seal puller for when the crank is in the block I believe. It has a flexy shaft with a small cork screw on the end, makes pulling them out a breeze. If you don't use your elbows 396 it makes it easier to install them :)
I feel ya...I have a "DPS" seal now. No more playing with packings ;)

05-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Man, that Berkeley Overhaul manual was just what I needed, thanks guys.