PDA

View Full Version : mystery holes in gasket

tahitijet
07-31-2005, 07:34 PM
I pulled my wedge out last weekend and ran no wedge with a gasket. I pulled it off today to reinstall the wedge upside down ( 1 run on gasket) and I now have 1 extra hole that wasn't there before and the start of a 2nd.. The bowl and droop are double drilled so i'm guessing that one of the holes i didn't use goes into the bowl itself. I'm wondering how much this has hurt performance? looks like i'll be installing more studs in the morning before the next trip out.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709P7300600-med.JPG

Squirtcha?
08-01-2005, 06:37 AM
Are you using an aluminum wedge or the nylon type? Assuming that you already know you don't even need a gasket with the nylon ones?

tahitijet
08-01-2005, 09:02 AM
yes the wedge is nylon.. i had the gasket in when i had no wedge... Good thing i did otherwise i never would have noticed that water was blowing thru the unused holes in the bowl and droop. I'm assuming it's a decent amount of preasure to tear that new hole and almost a 2nd in the gasket.

DeputyDawg
08-01-2005, 09:31 AM
So, if your bowl and droop are double drilled why aren't you using all of the bolt/stud holes? In other words, why only use eight bolts/studs if your bowl is double drilled? I guess I am not understanding someting??

steelcomp
08-01-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm thinkin it's mice. :cool: :D

tahitijet
08-01-2005, 05:13 PM
I didn't originally install them all cause i was told by alot of people double drilled wasn't neccasry at my level. and that installing the standard bolts and not cutting holes in the gasket would be ok. And figured with the tunning/adjusting i'd be doing why have more bolts to untighten and tighten all the time.. I didn't realize that some of the holes went all the way into the bowl . I got them in now just to seal up the water leaks.