PDA

View Full Version : Stelite exhaust valves

gnarley
04-28-2003, 12:59 PM
HEY, anyone ever used or heard of Stelite exhaust valves? How do they compare to the Manley Inconnel's. I knew that there were Stelite seats but I did know they made extreem duty valves.

LakesOnly
04-28-2003, 08:37 PM
I think Stelite is a hi cobalt-based alloy that is extremely hard. Super wear resistance. My Milodon valves have stelite tips.
That's about all I know; I'm no materials guy...
LO
[ April 28, 2003, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

gnarley
04-29-2003, 01:09 PM
WHAT no one else heard of them or use them?

HalletDave
04-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Gnarley,
I used them on a 425HP 460 Ford that I dropped in a 1979 Bronco back in the early '80s. After re-curving the distributor I was able to run 87 octane with no problems pulling the boat. I had no problems with them for the time I owned the Bronco. Overall durability, I can't say. Used to run the Grapevine 75 MPH with boat in tow without ever dropping down into passing gear. I am sure they would still be good to use in certain situations. It has been a long time since I have rebuilt an engine. I am sure there is new stuff on the market and people will chime in soon and let us know.
HD

gnarley
04-29-2003, 01:39 PM
I would really like to hear anything that anyone else know about them. I might be wrong but I ran the part numbers off the factory exhaust valves in some Merc marine heads and found that Merc can't tell you much about them & then called Goodwrench & they ran the number & was able to give a price at almost $60.00 each and say they were standard, standard valves don't cost $60.00! I then called a local parts house & they were able to run the number & told me they are stelite valves. This seems to still be good material to manufacture valves from I just wonder having read all the chatter about the Manley severe duty Inconnel's?

HalletDave
04-29-2003, 01:48 PM
Inconnel is an extremely hard alloy which is used a lot in the aircraft industry. I don't know how
the two compare in hardness or durablity. I want to know more about this subject.
HD

SchellSchock
04-29-2003, 03:52 PM
Stellite is a cobalt based high speed steel. It is usually used to make metal working cutting tools. That was before the advent of carbide and higher content cobalt steels. It has an extreme resistance to wear, but I do remember that it would checker badly if heated and cooled/quenched rapidly. Inconel is one of the high nickel super alloys used in jet engines, turbines, etc. requiring high strength in a heated environment. I will look up numbers tomorrow and forward all info I have.
DAVE

Essex502
04-30-2003, 07:19 AM
Here's a website where you can get information of the material:
Deloro Stellite (http://www.stellite.com/en/default.asp)

SchellSchock
04-30-2003, 07:37 AM
Stellite is a Cobalt,Chromium,Tungsten no-ferous alloy,(no iron in it's composition). It is NOT affected by Heat up to 1500°F. It actually is tougher at red heat than it is cold.
Inconel is a Nickel,Iron,Chromium and is primarily used in high temp environments up to 2000°F.
I would say either is a great Engine Valve material.

gnarley
04-30-2003, 10:36 AM
Well the Inconel is the best but the Stellite sounds pretty good also. I guess I will keep the Stellites for a mild blown motor & not worry about it. If I ran big numbers & lots of boost I would definitely use the Inconels but the Stellites are better than standard duty stock valves.
Thanks for the feedback