PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Running a Big Drop Hitch?

jrork
08-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Didn't want to hijack the Rigs thread but curious if anyone has pictures of their drop hitches?
No matter how I measure it, it looks like I need somewhere near 15" of drop for my sons truck tobe able to tow our boat trailer.
Curious if anybody has got a mega drop hitch and what their's looks like?
Thanks..........John
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2227boat2_Large_Web_view.jpg

Heatseeker
08-01-2005, 06:02 PM
I don't have a pic, but I did make a drop hitch for a friend of mine that was 19 inches. He had a Ford Explorer lifted to the sky and needed to be able to tow his wakeboard boat with it. He later bought a toy hauler trailer and towed that with the hitch too. He's since sold it with the Explorer.
I used thick wall square tubing for the reciever end, 3/4"x 3" hot roll for the drop and I ran a 1/2" gusset from the square tubing to almost the tip of the drop. The hitch probably weighed 30 lbs. It held up fine.

Jeanyus
08-01-2005, 07:08 PM
This may not be what you are looking for,but you should be able to get some good ideas.
I made this one for my car hauling trailer. The square steel is solid, I bought that part at a hitch shop. If you are going to drop that far better use some thick steel. This unit came with the U shaped piece that you can move up and down to the right spot then weld it on. This one is about a 8 inch droop, I could have moved the U shaped piece down for about a 12 inch drop. For 15 inch you just need a longer down leg.
I checked it with my boat trailer, and welded the tab on the bottom and it at the perfect height for my boat trailer.
It weighs about 25 lbs, but it does not rattle up and down when I hit bumps, cause its so heavy.
Now I can pull all my stuff with 1 hitch.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7221drop_hitch.jpg

malcolm
08-01-2005, 07:15 PM
I hope those tires don't throw rocks. :supp:
Does it have a receiver hitch now?

malcolm
08-01-2005, 07:29 PM
All I saw on Ebay was 10 1/2 inch for $40. Looks like you'll need to build one.

tahitijet
08-01-2005, 07:42 PM
15 seems like alot. I'm not sure how your hitch is mounted but the truck doesn't look large enough to need more then 8-10..
Our tahoe is 10" lift cranked 2" with 37's so before the body lift has a total of 17" of lift over stock and we run a 12" I've made a couple when they get really big and need 20" or more drop. I usually build it similar to a standard drop reciver with larger guessets then brace it from the bottom back side up towards the rear of the hitch (like a large wishbone) to eliminate any forward/backward stress. If you don't want to make one you can contact Barlo hitches.. In Fresno They will tell you how to measure it and make you one at a decent price.

jrork
08-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Tahitijet,
The truck isnt really that tall, it's got about 5 inches of lift with 36's but the thing that makes it need the huge drop hitch is the hitch reciever tucks way up under the back of the truck. It may not look that huge but trust me it needs the 15-17 inch drop hitch.
Malcolm,
HAHA, these tires throw rocks like no other and I dont have huge mudflaps on it, just big enough to keep it legal. With that said the lugs on the tires are spaced apart a good inch and very rarely pick up rocks on the road. Hopefully there wont be too many rocks on the road to Blue Lake. That will be the first time I tow the boat with the Toyota so we will see.
Looks like we are going to have to just weld us up a hitch with some good thick steel. One more thought we've had was to run down to the local RV dealer and see if they have... (or can make) a hitch that will work.
Thanks again... Ian, Johns son

HavasuDreamin'
08-02-2005, 06:04 AM
RV dealer is a good place to look. I picked up a 12" drop at a local dealer in Torrance, CA. Good Luck.

Hustler
08-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Call Custom Motorsorts in Corona 909-549-1740. I have a 18" drop from them that is solid as hell

Sanger D
08-02-2005, 08:28 AM
I got mine also from a trailer/RV store, it was 99.00 bucks and 15 in. long,came with ball of choice and a nice pin lock,this was in vegas though.oh, the thing weighs 30 frickin pounds but it,ll pull 10.000 pounds.

jbergie
08-02-2005, 09:11 AM
i'm no expert, but when i needed a drop hitch fast i opened the yellow pages, and looked up a hitch & weld shop. my buddy towed my boat to his shop,
i drove my truck their guy took measurement, made me a custom hitch for
$ 85.00 ball not included, was done in 45 min. just my .002
jbergie

jrork
08-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Yep, it's gonna take a major drop. The reciever is tucked way up there.
I would love to just swing by a local hitch outfit but we don't have a big selection (none really) around here and very limited welding places as well.
I may have to make a run over to the other side of the pond and get some ideas.
Thanks for the photos and descriptions everybody. That helps a bunch....John