PDA

View Full Version : HELP.....stains from boat cover???

AirtimeLavey
08-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Got a custom boat cover (green) that came from prev. owner. Pulled cover off tonight after not using boat for 3 wks., and I've got red-ish stains on the vinyl, everywhere it looks like the cover touches the white vinyl upholstery! :2purples: Boat sits covered and under full length canopy.
Big stains...Anyone seen this before, and have any ideas how to get it off? I usually use the MacGuires blue bottle cleaner and conditioner, but that doesn't seem to be working. Not ready for the acetone and match, yet. :notam:
Going out on Thurs., need to get it clean quick. Thanks!

all charged up
08-01-2005, 08:10 PM
My daytona does that too. The purple cover leaves stains on the engine cover vinyl. We just use soap and water. I also had the cover off for a couple of days and the stains just disapeared. :rollside:

Essex29
08-01-2005, 08:12 PM
What kind of previous owner would buy a cheap ass cover like that? :D
Rick, I told you about the cover dude....It's a wierd reaction with sunlight and the dye in the cover that dyes the white vinyl red, you're pretty much s.o.l.....ok, maybe not.
Just take the cover off and let it sit out uncovered and the stains will go away by themselves, I know it sounds wierd, but it works.
I freaked out the first time it happened and I spoke to someone and they related it to some type of greenhouse effect, blah, blah, blah.
Tarek

phuggit
08-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Ditto what everyone else stated. After a couple hours in sunlight the stains fade away.

AirtimeLavey
08-01-2005, 08:22 PM
My daytona does that too. The purple cover leaves stains on the engine cover vinyl. We just use soap and water. I also had the cover off for a couple of days and the stains just disapeared. :rollside:
Sounds weird, but that's fine w/me. Thanks.

AirtimeLavey
08-01-2005, 08:37 PM
What kind of previous owner would buy a cheap ass cover like that? :D
Rick, I told you about the cover dude....It's a wierd reaction with sunlight and the dye in the cover that dyes the white vinyl red, you're pretty much s.o.l.....ok, maybe not.
Just take the cover off and let it sit out uncovered and the stains will go away by themselves, I know it sounds wierd, but it works.
I freaked out the first time it happened and I spoke to someone and they related it to some type of greenhouse effect, blah, blah, blah.
Tarek
Ok, this is some of the weirdest shiat I've heard, but I'm REALLY glad to hear it. :idea: :D
Lol...that's what I get for buying a used boat. :hammerhea
I figured it was some shiat you had put on it just to make it look good when I bought it, and now the shiat's just wearin off. :lightsabe :mix: :D
If you told me, I forgot. Thanks for reminding me. Anything else you think you could "remind" me about that you "told" me when I bought it? :eat: J/k.
Joking of course, I'm loving the boat. Glad you took such good care of her. Let me know when you want to sell the Essex. Actually, I'll be in the Lavey for a while. Gonna try a 22 prop to see if I can get a better hole-shot for wakeboarding and skiing. Otherwise, it's an awesome boat.....thanks for the sweet deal, Tarek.

AirtimeLavey
08-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Ditto what everyone else stated. After a couple hours in sunlight the stains fade away.
Phewww!!! Now I can sleep tonight, thanks.

AirtimeLavey
08-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Try the Mr. Clean magic erasers. they work for everything else.
Yeah, I ran down to the store and bought some those, but they weren't getting the red out. They got everything else out nicely, though... :D
Thanks for the sugg. :D

Essex29
08-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Ok, this is some of the weirdest shiat I've heard, but I'm REALLY glad to hear it. :idea: :D
Lol...that's what I get for buying a used boat. :hammerhea
I figured it was some shiat you had put on it just to make it look good when I bought it, and now the shiat's just wearin off. :lightsabe :mix: :D
If you told me, I forgot. Thanks for reminding me. Anything else you think you could "remind" me about that you "told" me when I bought it? :eat: J/k.
Joking of course, I'm loving the boat. Glad you took such good care of her. Let me know when you want to sell the Essex. Actually, I'll be in the Lavey for a while. Gonna try a 22 prop to see if I can get a better hole-shot for wakeboarding and skiing. Otherwise, it's an awesome boat.....thanks for the sweet deal, Tarek.
....anytime, I'm sure you'll pay back one of these days :D
I actually tried a 22 B4 and the holeshot was awesome, but it kept hitting the rev limiter....good luck

*!Ken's Wife!*
08-01-2005, 08:43 PM
OXY CLEAN!!!! OXY CLEAN!!! I swear by that stuff!!!

AirtimeLavey
08-01-2005, 08:47 PM
....anytime, I'm sure you'll pay back one of these days :D
I actually tried a 22 B4 and the holeshot was awesome, but it kept hitting the rev limiter....good luck
Hmmm...guess I'll play w/it and see what works.
As for p/b, I look for you everytime we're out. I got about 5 - 6 more trips this year. I'll catch up to you at some point. :D :cool:

AirtimeLavey
08-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks, I'll try it....I thought that stuff might work good. Now, I know. :D
Btw, may try and swing by yours and WYRD's dealio this w/e. Poss. catch ya at the mini s/b, briefly. I've got my kids this w/e, so it won't be a long stop, if at all. Have fun. Hope the weather co-operates. :clover: :D :cool:

Essexive G's
08-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Btw, may try and swing by yours and WYRD's dealio this w/e. Poss. catch ya at the mini s/b, briefly. I've got my kids this w/e, so it won't be a long stop, if at all. Have fun. Hope the weather co-operates. :clover: :D :cool:
Wife tried it on stains in the carpet once, it worked to good. Took the dye out of the carpet. I'd dilute it real good and test on a small area.

SummitKarl
08-01-2005, 09:52 PM
I just went through this, I did a post about a week ago about needed help for the same thing, my cover left burn marks where ever it touched the white vinyl, nothing worked. not even bleach, carb cleaner nothing, I tried rite die nothing/ zippo the burn marks were there to stay. finially I gave up, being as 10 yrs ago I painted some stripes on the INT. and that part was still in perfect condition.
went to the local "auto paint shop" and bought 1/2 gal of white/gloss vinyl paint.
PERFECT!!!!!!!! fix....... looks new, cleans up easy, and I aready know it should last at least 10yrs, even better I can touch it up anytime, but I am not sugesting you do this for high dollar boat. it worked well for my old jet boat and it's needs

AirtimeLavey
08-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Wife tried it on stains in the carpet once, it worked to good. Took the dye out of the carpet. I'd dilute it real good and test on a small area.
Damn. Thanks for the heads up. Sorry, it was from a bad experience.

AirtimeLavey
08-01-2005, 10:02 PM
I just went through this, I did a post about a week ago about needed help for the same thing, my cover left burn marks where ever it touched the white vinyl, nothing worked. not even bleach, carb cleaner nothing, I tried rite die nothing/ zippo the burn marks were there to stay. finially I gave up, being as 10 yrs ago I painted some stripes on the INT. and that part was still in perfect condition.
went to the local "auto paint shop" and bought 1/2 gal of white/gloss vinyl paint.
PERFECT!!!!!!!! fix....... looks new, cleans up easy, and I aready know it should last at least 10yrs, even better I can touch it up anytime, but I am not sugesting you do this for high dollar boat. it worked well for my old jet boat and it's needs
Yeah, before I posted, I went and searched old posts, etc., and read yours as well as many others. I was hoping not to have to paint mine, but it's nice to hear it worked out for you, in a worst case scenario. Got an after pic you can post? I'd like to see it. Thanks for the help. :D

SummitKarl
08-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Yeah, before I posted, I went and searched old posts, etc., and read yours as well as many others. I was hoping not to have to paint mine, but it's nice to hear it worked out for you, in a worst case scenario. Got an after pic you can post? I'd like to see it. Thanks for the help. :D
sure check back in the AM, I'll take a shot in the morning, it looks good, I am happy with the results and I had 10yrs of proof it works, I know it sounds cheesy- but it works!!!

*!Ken's Wife!*
08-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Sounds good to me *WINK*

wanna B V
08-02-2005, 05:17 AM
what type of material is the boat cover made of?

a catered life
08-02-2005, 05:39 AM
me too :D

SummitKarl
08-02-2005, 07:36 AM
ok here is my promiss
before
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2734MVC-002F.JPG
after
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2734MVC-015sw.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2734MVC-016sw.JPG

Essex29
08-02-2005, 07:37 AM
ok here is my promiss
before
after
Hey Karl, Looks great, but try covering your boat man :hammer2: :D

SummitKarl
08-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Hey Karl, Looks great, but try covering your boat man :hammer2: :D
actually I was standing on the cover :)

AirtimeLavey
08-02-2005, 07:42 AM
what type of material is the boat cover made of?
Doh, I'm not sure. :hammerhea :boxed:
It's a green canvas type material. Pretty standard boat cover material. I have the same on my smaller jet boat, but it hasn't had this type of effect on the vinyl. Although, it does not contact the vinyl as much as on the bigger boat and the smaller boat's vinyl is different (older). I'm thinking it's what the other guys in prev. posts said, and hoping it goes away on its own. Thanks. :D

AirtimeLavey
08-02-2005, 07:47 AM
ok here is my promiss
before
after
Wow! What a difference. Looks great! Thanks for posting the pics. :D :cool: