PDA

View Full Version : sank the boat

moparjet
08-02-2005, 05:21 AM
well i did the most stupid thing i could have done,i wanted to test the quick stop when thrown in reverse....worked great except the water over the front witch sank the boat...it went down so quick thank god i had people come to my rescue....nobody was hurt....we were able to pull the boat to shallow water and bail it out and tow it back to the dock....things could have been alot worse....just a reminder that beer and water dont mix well...i think i can save the motor...spins over ok drained all the water out and put some oil in it...i dont think the msd box survied...all and all for it sinking its not in bad shape...the goal is to have it ready for anna...if the motor isnt hurt....anybody know what i sould do as far as getting all the water out of the motor...

RiverOtter
08-02-2005, 05:25 AM
well i did the most stupid thing i could have done,i wanted to test the quick stop when thrown in reverse....worked great except the water over the front witch sank the boat...it went down so quick thank god i had people come to my rescue....nobody was hurt....we were able to pull the boat to shallow water and bail it out and tow it back to the dock....things could have been alot worse....just a reminder that beer and water dont mix well...i think i can save the motor...spins over ok drained all the water out and put some oil in it...i dont think the msd box survied...all and all for it sinking its not in bad shape...the goal is to have it ready for anna...if the motor isnt hurt....anybody know what i sould do as far as getting all the water out of the motor...
Got any pics?

moparjet
08-02-2005, 05:32 AM
no ....i wish i did...wasnt really worried about pics at the time...it funny to barely see your boat under water....glad we had it hooked to another boat...

shirkey4750
08-02-2005, 05:43 AM
I had one of my old jets sunk by a wake from a cruiser at half throttle in a no wake zone. I got it on the trailer, took it home drained the oil changed filter and took the carbs. apart and put them back together, put cheap oil in it pulled the plugs cranked it over to blow the water out of the cylinders, drained oil and refilled changed filter put plugs back in and fired the engine long enough to pump the oil through the system and shut down and repeated the oil and filter change. Did this maybe three times and was back on the river the next day.

RiverOtter
08-02-2005, 05:43 AM
no ....i wish i did...wasnt really worried about pics at the time...it funny to barely see your boat under water....glad we had it hooked to another boat...
No Doubt! Glad you didn't loose it! I used to have a Sea Ray F16 jet boat (Just a little toy) You could throw that thing in reverse at speed and have some fun. Well.... one day.... Couple of girls in it .... I said "Watch Es!" Dang near sank it :hammer2:

Huffer
08-02-2005, 07:30 AM
CAN'T LEAVE YA ALONE FOR A NIGHT?????????ASK JR.JETTER ABOUT HOW FAST THEY SINK! HE KNOWS ALSO FROM EXP. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!

moparjet
08-02-2005, 12:18 PM
yeah i know not to pull that one again....i like my new custom water filled gauges....

nitro557
08-02-2005, 02:23 PM
glad i got my msd box back :boxed:
sounds like you may need it agian,change your oil a couple of times,pull the carbs and dist to clean them out ,let the box dry you might get luck but you already have thrown power to it while it was wet so i doubt it
happy anniv i would have love to seen jordys and hemis face at the time of dive :rollside:

Sleek468
08-02-2005, 02:32 PM
I never sank my boat but I did have a problem with headers getting water at idle and I had 50/50 oil water in the motor, and I have a 10 quart pan.To fix the problem I torn the top end of the motor down(the heads and intake) to make sure I cleaned it put completely. You would be surprised at the amount out milk you'l find in the lifter valley. I wiped it all out and drained the oil. While the plug was out I poured four quarts of oil in there. It was goibg to be a few days before I was able to take it back out, so I also wiped the cylinders down with a clean rag soaked in oil. Dont forget to pull the dist. and wipe it off. Make sure you wipe the dist. again after your next run because all the milk left over in the block that you dont get out likes to stick to the shaft. The next three trips I changed the oil and filter to work all the rest out.
This might seem like a little bit of work but it was the second trip out with my new motor and I was'nt taking any chances......GOOD LUCK!!!!!

nitro557
08-02-2005, 02:38 PM
oh i forgot dump your fuel and start fresh,if you need help let me know

jelloboat
08-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Their right! Lake water dont have anti-freeze in it so if you just change the oil a few times, "run it for a couple mins. between each one" you will be OK. hope to see ya @ ANNA

h2oski2fast
08-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Fill the motor completely to the top (to the top of the venturies of the carbs, cylinders and all) with deisel fuel. Let it sit for the day, drain it, put oil in it, then go out and run it for an hour and a half (or more). Should be good after that.
The reason for running it that long is to get the motor up to temp and vaporize any of the water that is still left in it (which shouldn't be a whole lot).

Slacker
08-02-2005, 03:53 PM
I had one of my old jets sunk by a wake from a cruiser at half throttle in a no wake zone. I got it on the trailer, took it home drained the oil changed filter and took the carbs. apart and put them back together, put cheap oil in it pulled the plugs cranked it over to blow the water out of the cylinders, drained oil and refilled changed filter put plugs back in and fired the engine long enough to pump the oil through the system and shut down and repeated the oil and filter change. Did this maybe three times and was back on the river the next day.
Sorry to hear about your boat.. But my dad did the same thing Shirkey4750 did when his boat sank at the dock. Just make sure to do something with your fuel. Good luck :clover:

mickeyfinn
08-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Fill the motor completely to the top (to the top of the venturies of the carbs, cylinders and all) with deisel fuel. Let it sit for the day, drain it, put oil in it, then go out and run it for an hour and a half (or more). Should be good after that.
The reason for running it that long is to get the motor up to temp and vaporize any of the water that is still left in it (which shouldn't be a whole lot).
ding ding ding......we have a winner!!!!

olbiezer
08-02-2005, 05:32 PM
doesent anyone put floatation in the bow any more? just wondering how far down they go if its foam filled from the kick plate forward......last owner had this done to my barron.....just wondering.......glad to hear what i have to do to the engine if it ever becomes a anchor......

CMZRACING
08-03-2005, 07:04 AM
Where Did You Get An Idea Like That??????!!!!!!

DansBlown73Nordic
08-03-2005, 02:05 PM
A friend sank a Jet boat last summer. He pulled the oil drain plug and out came SAND......It had about a hand full of sand in the pan........ :yuk:

nitro557
08-03-2005, 02:44 PM
went to visit moparjet today its alive a few oil changes and a msd box ,itll be good to go again

moparjet
08-04-2005, 03:56 AM
oil still has some milk in it,but the charging system still works...only the oil pressure guage works....lot of cleaning to do but i will make anna...need to get front seats in it too...thanks guys for all the input