PDA

View Full Version : 496HO Oil pressure reading??

laveydayz
08-02-2005, 08:04 AM
After launching Sat. and starting up the boat, the oil pressure gauge was reading very low barely (10psi). From my experience you should have oil press. right away. After idiling for about 3-4min. it went up to around 40psi? The rest of the day, even after sitting for 2+ hours it was normal 60 range at cruising speed. The motor only has 14 hours and the engine alarm never sounded once. It ran great all day but im very concerned about the low initial reading. Could this be a motor prob. or maybe a bad gauge/sending unit?? Anyone ever have this problem?

cdog
08-02-2005, 08:09 AM
After launching Sat. and starting up the boat, the oil pressure gauge was reading very low barely (10psi). From my experience you should have oil press. right away. After idiling for about 3-4min. it went up to around 40psi? The rest of the day, even after sitting for 2+ hours it was normal 60 range at cruising speed. The motor only has 14 hours and the engine alarm never sounded once. It ran great all day but im very concerned about the low initial reading. Could this be a motor prob. or maybe a bad gauge/sending unit?? Anyone ever have this problem?
Bad sensor/sending unit..........When you see it low. Give it a little gas and see if it reacts. If not you may have a problem. Electric sendors suck and do that often. Sounds like your OK.

Edmond
08-02-2005, 08:44 AM
I started having similar problems with mine...at about 50hrs..scared the hell out of me...it reads 0 at WOT but no alarms I have over 100hrs now and no problems, I was told it is probably a bad sensor... I just havent taken it in yet.

Sane Asylum
08-02-2005, 08:47 AM
I started having similar problems with mine...at about 50hrs..scared the hell out of me...it reads 0 at WOT but no alarms I have over 100hrs now and no problems, I was told it is probably a bad sensor... I just havent taken it in yet.
You're flirting with some dangerous chit........May want to have that inexpensive issue resolved before it becomes a $12K issue......
At the risk of assholeness........How can you operate your boat without that one very important piece of data? That shit would kill me.....
It's the very reason why I don't like buying somebody else's chit......

laveydayz
08-02-2005, 09:03 AM
You're flirting with some dangerous chit........May want to have that inexpensive issue resolved before it becomes a $12K issue......
At the risk of assholeness........How can you operate your boat without that one very important piece of data? That shit would kill me.....
It's the very reason why I don't like buying somebody else's chit......
I feel the same way. That is the most important gauge up there and when I saw the initial reading it was alarming. I never took the boat off idle until the press. went up. The boat is going in for the first service, so hopefully they can give an explanation? Im leaning toward a faulty sending unit but because the rest of the day there was no problem at all?

cdog
08-02-2005, 09:12 AM
You only need 6psi. of oil pressure per 1000 rpm to lube a V8 correctly. That's why I say give it a little gas and wait to see if the sender reacts. I'm having problems with my alarm right now. Either the oil pressure alarm sensor is bad or I have a short in the harness. But I have good oil pressure. So as you can see, it's allways something.

Nord
08-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Just drive the hell out of it and let us know how that pans out!! :D
J/K
I would say take it in and get it taken care of!!!!
Who would want to take the chance

laveydayz
08-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Don't ask me what the problem is... I don't know shit... Thanks for the help!!!

desertbird
08-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Is your gauge attached to the Mercury '9-Pin' harness or Smartcraft? I'm surprised you had no alarm. That sender should be the same one that would trigger the alarm.

laveydayz
08-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Is your gauge attached to the Mercury '9-Pin' harness or Smartcraft? I'm surprised you had no alarm. That sender should be the same one that would trigger the alarm.
Thats a good question.....I cant imagine something in the motor being wrong, as oil pressure usually does not just come and go...you either have it or not, and when you dont, failure happens fast. The motor is brand new? As I said above after a few min. idiling it was fine again and the rest of the day as well?? Im amazed as well that if there really was no pressure why the alrm did not sound.