PDA

View Full Version : Difference in pump flow ?

restofreak
08-02-2005, 08:08 AM
I do know that Berkeley's work better and are more efficient than Jacuzzi and Panther, and I know it's the difference flow. But why does the flow of a Berkeley make it so much better?

DeputyDawg
08-02-2005, 09:53 AM
Berkeley/American Turbine/Dominator/Legend/Aggressor are all mixed flow pumps where as the Panther as well as others is an axial flow pump. With a mixed flow pump water is taken in and then pressurized before being discharged through a small nozzle at increased velocity and that makes it better for high speed applications. An axial flow pump on the other hand is designed to move large volumes of water through generally bigger nozzles which results in much better load carrying capacity. One isn't really better than the other, it all depends on application.

napabob
08-02-2005, 10:19 AM
I am under the impression that the Jacuzzi 12WJ is a mixed flow system and the Jacuzzi 12YJ is an axial flow (corrections welcomed).
North American Marine Jet still makes replacement parts for the 12WJ. I have not seen replacement parts for the YJ except for the 'Energizer' kit sold by American Turbine.
http://americanturbine.com/

BrendellaJet
08-02-2005, 11:18 AM
12WJ is a mixed flow and can be opened up to flow better.