PDA

View Full Version : Tweeters keep popping

253 convincor
08-02-2005, 05:25 PM
I've blown 4 sets of tweeters in the last 3 weeks and was wondering if anybody had any ideas. I am currently running all Polk Momo, a 400.4 with two sets of 6500's components. Ran them for a good two months hard and no problems. Then all of a sudden the tweeters went out of 3 of them one weekend. Replace one set with 650 coaxials, and one day out and popped them tweeters along with the last one from the 6500's. This past weekend put a set of 6x9's and played on the conservative side, and you guess it poped them tweeters. I'm about ready to just go to wal-mart and buy Sony explodes and keep taking them back if this going to keep going on. Any help would be great.

Havasu Hangin'
08-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Passive crossovers?

ROZ
08-02-2005, 10:19 PM
I scream my 6500's all day at pretty high volume and have yet to have any problems... I make it habit to try to take out every pair of speakers I try... Are you just replacing the tweeters, the tweeters abd crossovers, or the entire set? Are they blowing when the amps clip due to low voltage?

riverbound
08-03-2005, 05:21 AM
What kind of amp?
Where are your settings on the amp?
Where is your treble set?
crossover points?
There are a number of things that could be causing this, but with the limited info. it would be very dificult to troubleshoot.

253 convincor
08-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Each time I have replaced the speakers it's been speaker and crossover. The amp is Polk Momo 400.4. As far as the amp settings go the frequency is set at about 100 and the gain is just over half. The treble on the head unit is on 5 out of 6. Not sure what other settings you might need to know. As far as power, I've been running off two batteries all summer and had no problems with power, still enough juice in the batteries to start afterwards.

Havasu Hangin'
08-03-2005, 04:14 PM
A bass note or heat will melt a tweeter. If the passives are correct, then turn down the gains a little- you may be melting the VC from clipping.

riverbound
08-04-2005, 06:23 AM
A bass note or heat will melt a tweeter. If the passives are correct, then turn down the gains a little- you may be melting the VC from clipping.
And bring the Treble level down. It sounds like you are pushing the tweeters too hard. Distortion is what really kills a speaker. IT sounds like you are trying to get more out of your speakers thanwhat they can produce.

UltraSounds
08-05-2005, 10:24 AM
exactly the issue as stated above:
clipping the amp causes extreme heat to be generated, which in turn is melting the tweeter diaphram down and most likely melting the voice coil wiring---some say its distortion, when it reality it is the clipping of the amplifier and heat that causes the most failures