PDA

View Full Version : Idle Question

JDB
08-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Hey Guys
Question....I have a 540 Supercharged motor and I am experiencing inconsistant idle. Not "blower surge", just cant get a "set idle". Sometimes its absolutely fine, then 15 minutes later I have to "feather" the throttle to keep it running.....other times, the idle is fast (1,200 rpm) then runs down to the point where Im feathering the throttle again. I recently rebuilt the carbs, Im pretty sure I dont have a vacume leak.....any ideas? Could it be my carb linkage? Other than this problem the motor runs great!

Havasu Hangin'
08-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Shit...my motors are so sensitive that even the boat rocking changes the idle...let alone gas type, heat, etc...

TIMINATOR
08-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Its the mechanical advance thats coming in too soon, it sometimes will not retard the timing fast enough on decelleration, or it may be sticky. You can't set it up correctly without a distributor machine, unless you are persistant or lucky. Take it to a distributor guy that KNOWS blower motors. Non-blown motors will do the same thing too. We set up LOTS of distributors, and blower carbs too. TIMINATOR 623-877-8553 Phx and Havasu, AZ.

Maxey
08-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Hey Guys
Question....I have a 540 Supercharged motor and I am experiencing inconsistant idle. Not "blower surge", just cant get a "set idle". Sometimes its absolutely fine, then 15 minutes later I have to "feather" the throttle to keep it running.....other times, the idle is fast (1,200 rpm) then runs down to the point where Im feathering the throttle again. I recently rebuilt the carbs, Im pretty sure I dont have a vacume leak.....any ideas? Could it be my carb linkage? Other than this problem the motor runs great!
I would check for "worn" throttle shafts. That would give you the problem you describe.
Dave