PDA

View Full Version : Batteries

Kilrtoy
03-23-2003, 11:48 PM
Boat was sitting for 6 months. Batteries were low, but started the boat. Ran the boat for about an hour then stopped. Kept the boat running at idle and turned the stereo up. The stereo started to cut out after about 2 minutes.
Question?
Does it hurt the batteries to pull them out and recharge them on the charger.

HBjet
03-23-2003, 11:58 PM
No....
if your going to take them out, have them tested! Then you will know if one or more of them have gone bad.
What kind of Batteries are you running?
HBjet
[ March 23, 2003, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

Kilrtoy
03-24-2003, 06:28 AM
Nothing but the best for my boat,
Ok, so I got them at Costco Kirklands jawdrop

RiverForUs
03-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Kilrtoy:
Does it hurt the batteries to pull them out and recharge them on the charger. On the flip side--Does it hurt to charge dual batteries while they are still connected to the cables in the boat?
I've always charged them this way on my outboard and never had any problems but this is my first I/O.
Will I cause any damage if I charge them while they're still connected?

Kilrtoy
03-24-2003, 10:37 PM
Riverforus,
Don't know the answe.
I talked to Wil the other day and we have yet to hook up. Do tou still go to Laughlin.

Rexone
03-24-2003, 10:43 PM
RiverForUs:
Kilrtoy:
Does it hurt the batteries to pull them out and recharge them on the charger. On the flip side--Does it hurt to charge dual batteries while they are still connected to the cables in the boat?
I've always charged them this way on my outboard and never had any problems but this is my first I/O.
Will I cause any damage if I charge them while they're still connected?No it will not hurt them. Charge them at a slow rate preferably because it creates less heat and is easier on the batteries. Do not overcharge them though. Do not leave them for storage on a trickle charger (overcharges them). Get a battery tender or similar maintenence type charger for storage. Hope that helps. :)
[ March 24, 2003, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

RiverForUs
03-25-2003, 12:06 AM
Thanks Mike!
Kilrtoy, I just got back from Laughlin Friday night. Didn't go out in the boat though. We were interviewing builders since we purchased a lot up in Bullhead. If all goes as planned we'll take delivery next April or so. Could get it as soon as this Sept/Oct but I don't want that 2nd mortgage throughout the winter while I'm not using the river house.

Kilrtoy
03-25-2003, 06:02 AM
Sweet,
We would like to get a house up there also, but that will be in a couple of years. Of course by then it will be way too expensive.......

BoatPI
03-25-2003, 07:14 AM
Just a thought on batteries. Having experiennced the heat, charging issues, etc. for two decades plus, I found the answer.
Optima batteries are the best, period. I have had one for 7 years! Charge them continually with the "Battery Tender". For Lake Lice (I have 2), gel cell batteries ( like Jet Works in Costa Mesa) and charge often with the same charger.
A battery shut off switch is needed to prevent trikle disipation. Remember to leave a wire to the float switch for the automatic bildge pump continually hot.
Just my experiences.

RiverTime69
03-25-2003, 10:03 AM
I absolutely agree!!! Optima Blue Tops are the BEST, PERIOD. In fact, it's the D34M that you will want to look into. The issue is that each battery does cost nearly $150.00. It becomes a cost/benefit for you. If you take care of them, then they can last 5-7 years in that heat and they deliver the same power until drained, the power doesn't drop-off like other batteries. That can end up being a blessing when you need cranking power after 4-6 hours at the Sandbar and you're ready to leave. Otherwise, just buy new deep cycle marine batteries every 2 years for about $60-$70 each. Either way, you'll end up spending about $300.00 every 5 years.

Essex502
03-25-2003, 10:07 AM
Has anybody tried the AGM batteries from batterystuff.com ? They claim to provide longer life and more power than the Optimas. The site is a wealth of information on batteries as well.
See this (http://www.batterystuff.com)

Thunderbutt
03-25-2003, 11:59 AM
I use Excide. I had the last two for 10 years with a switch. In the winter I disconect them. In the spring I charge them with the cell caps off and check the water level. I just bought two new ones $54.00 ea. If I get another ten years I'm happy. Infact the batteries will probably last longer then me.

Laveyman
03-28-2003, 08:51 AM
Essex502:
The site is a wealth of information on batteries as well.
See this (http://www.batterystuff.com) Great link Essex! Thanks

Lightning
03-29-2003, 12:36 PM
I will have to recommend going with the Trojan Batteries. Here is an old thread (http://forums.***boat.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000752) that shows what I did in my boat.

Rexone
03-29-2003, 06:26 PM
Kilrtoy I moved this cause it's really a tech subject. :)
[ March 29, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

Bow Tie Omega
03-30-2003, 07:39 AM
Hey you all, this is a great topic. I was going to run a couple of Marine Grade DieHards, did not want to spend $189.00 each on Yellow Top Optima's.
There is no doubt IMO that the Optima's are one of the best. But after reading some of these posts, better preventive maintenance = longer battery life overall. Thanks for the post Kilroy and everyone.....Joe

jet4fun
03-31-2003, 11:48 PM
nope, wasnt me

Essex502
04-01-2003, 07:15 AM
Lightning:
I will have to recommend going with the Trojan Batteries. Here is an old thread (http://forums.***boat.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000752) that shows what I did in my boat. Just make sure to take the "plastic wrapper" off before using! :)

jet4fun
04-06-2003, 12:07 AM
i would have to strongly recommend the optima batteries... i personally feel they are well worth the xtra money and in my opinion cost the same in the long run anyway... heres why
i just had the optima in my truck go out but... it was almost 7 years old, has been through 3 vehicles and some very LARGE stereo systems, and i abused the hell out of it (i cant tell you how many times i have ran it down and had to get a jump start) and it wasnt even the deep cycle model....... also my buddy jerry (75_elim) has a marine model in his boat and he just found out that his alternator was not charging all last summer (granted he has no stereo) that means that it lasted a full summer of starts and driving, and only during his last lake trip did he start to notice something wrong aint no Wally World special thats gonna do that
P.S. Jim Brock at Cyclone Speed & Marine 818-890-1867 sells the marine deep cycle version for $130...... so if you do the math i figure i would have been on my 3rd or 4th cheapo battery by now, at 40 a pop thats 120-160 in 7 years... pretty competitive wouldnt ya say??? :D