PDA

View Full Version : Fiat48..Trailer pics and info you requested

Dave Sammons
08-02-2005, 09:14 PM
This is the 26footer we bought in 1995. It was completely bare inside. Like you are trying to do, we tried to figure out a way to incorporate living quarters into the smallest trailer we could use and still be able to fit our Canyon inside. We were also able to put our 225" blown alcohol front motor car in the thing as well. The trailer has worked great for us over the years. The B-Boat is ALOT closer to the sides than the Canyon, but, no problems. I'll try to point out a couple things as the pictures go along. Hope this helps!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517t1.jpg
The tongue of the dolly trailer sit on a post that slides out of a reciever when not in use. Decided to use a simple trailer winch to haul the boat in.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517t2.jpg
The bench is in the up position. Note upright pole and pin, one just like it on the other side.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517t3.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517t4.jpg
Note uprights that support double bed coming up from wheelwells.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517t5.jpg
Bench in down position.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517t6.jpg
Bench with cushions. this will actually sleep 2 people. Short side has door that folds down and rests on top of fender. Door pins up when not in use. Cutout in the bottom support was made after a GoodGuys rainout in Sonoma. Dragster chassis fit thru with bench down so we could keep us and the car dry! Need to get that fnished off! :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517t7.jpg

Fiat48
08-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Thanks so much Dave! The wife and I will be studying them and it will help us tremendously. Thank you for your trouble!

Dave Sammons
08-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Double bed up top. Note handmade hinges at bench pivot point.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517t8.jpg
Front of trailer. Shower with porta potty(could be plumbed for toilet, haven't done that yet), Sink, Microwave, Stove and Refridgerator. TV/VCR sits on shelf on right in second picture.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517t9.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517t10.JPG
Working end of trailer. Note notch in bedframe in second picture...B-Boat steering a little higher than old Canyon...Only change we had to make.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517t11.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517t12.jpg
That should about cover it. Let me know if I can help you in anyway with your project. GOOD LUCK! :D :D

Fiat48
08-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Did you put in a hot water heater and if so where is that located?
Where did you put fresh water tank.....inside?
Did you move side entrance door or was it already located there?
Your refer is about the same size mine is. I see the lower access door and the vent above it. Did you seal off the area above the vent?
Anything you wish you did different like bigger water tank or holding tank, etc.
And I see no vent above the little stove. Don't need it?
You knew 20 questions was coming.... :D We sure thank you for the help.

Dave Sammons
08-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Did you put in a hot water heater and if so where is that located?
Where did you put fresh water tank.....inside?
Your refer is about the same size mine is. I see the lower access door and the vent above it. Did you seal off the area above the vent?
Anything you wish you did different like bigger water tank or holding tank, etc.
And I see no vent above the little stove. Don't need it?
You knew 20 questions was coming.... :D We sure thank you for the help.
Hotwater heater is under the sink.
Freshwater tank is under the counter next to the stove.
The vent is sealed.
Been so long...can't remember the tank sizes, never have had a problem with capacity. The gray and black water tanks run side by side between the crossmembers in the floor.
No vent above the stove...really only use it to make Bacon/Eggs, maybe heat a little water.
If I were building it today, I probably wouldn't change much other that I'd probably make the cushions out of cloth. You could always spend more on Oak Cabinets and such and copy the interior of one of those 35' 5th wheel ToyBoxes, your call. Just get the boat in there first, and then lay it out the way you think works best and try to maximize the space you have. I used masking tape on the floors and walls to get an idea where everything should go. Don't mind the questions at all. Glad to help.

Dave Sammons
08-04-2005, 07:21 PM
When I had the trailer built I ordered it with the RV style door and told them where I wanted it placed. If you buy a used trailer, chances are the door will be in the "stock" spot, back about a foot.

Fiat48
08-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks Dave. I wondered if you ordered it since most trailers have the door about 2 foot from the front (which is where mine is). The ideas are flowing and looks like I will start back to work on it next week. Bed first and then counters and such. Been picking up little stuff off Ebay as our local rv supplier might as well be a Lexus dealer for the prices he gets. The boat is in the trailer and that is all functional. Now it is living quarters time.
You've done a fine job on yours and a lot of people don't realize the work it is...but I do for sure.
This is Morg's plan also in the future.

Dave Sammons
08-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Thanks Dave. I wondered if you ordered it since most trailers have the door about 2 foot from the front (which is where mine is). The ideas are flowing and looks like I will start back to work on it next week. Bed first and then counters and such. Been picking up little stuff off Ebay as our local rv supplier might as well be a Lexus dealer for the prices he gets. The boat is in the trailer and that is all functional. Now it is living quarters time.
You've done a fine job on yours and a lot of people don't realize the work it is...but I do for sure.
Your're right...it was a long time ago, I had them move the door BACK, so I had more room at the front of the trailer for the living quarters. :confused: :confused: You are also correct on the amount of time, planning and building that went into the thing. Anybody can go buy one of those Toyhaulers off the lot. Wish I could've afforded one back then, but, this one has worked out well for us! :D :D

Fiat48
08-04-2005, 08:29 PM
I had a 32 ft 5th wheel Alfa we used for the Fiat. It would have worked for the boat if I had done some major rework surgury on the left side. But I worried about the structure of the trailer. You know..when the floor feels rather spongy under your feet. A few years of that and it was obvious the toyhauler was only for light toys. When it blew both rear tires at the same time :supp: was another clue. So I am sure I will like this thing better. 15K lb axles and all.

Dave Sammons
08-04-2005, 09:03 PM
I had a 32 ft 5th wheel Alfa we used for the Fiat. It would have worked for the boat if I had done some major rework surgury on the left side. But I worried about the structure of the trailer. You know..when the floor feels rather spongy under your feet. A few years of that and it was obvious the toyhauler was only for light toys. When it blew both rear tires at the same time :supp: was another clue. So I am sure I will like this thing better. 15K lb axles and all.
We've got a TON of miles on this trailer, always loaded to go racing, and never had a single problem in over 10 years. Always thought those toyhauler's might be a little too light duty. Maybe we are on to something! :D :D

Morg
08-05-2005, 06:07 AM
I have been taking notes.
If I could figure out how to post an autocad file I could show the floor plans I have drawn out :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea

INEEDAV
08-05-2005, 07:19 AM
If I could figure out how to post an autocad file I could show the floor plans I have drawn out :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea
Export the drawing to a wmf file, if needed you can convert that to jpg.

Terminal Velocity
08-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Morg,
if you email me the cad file i can open it and pdf it for you and send it back.
jgregory@pbsj.com

Terminal Velocity
08-05-2005, 07:55 AM
PDF coming back to you morg with a looooong responce to your email. :messedup:

Terminal Velocity
08-05-2005, 08:26 AM
Ok i'm posting this for Morg, for Fiat, etc...
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/542John_Trailer_Layout.jpg

Fiat48
08-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Morgs lookin to do the 6 inches extra height deal on his trailer so he can do a back pull down bed like Weekend Warrior does. That's a good deal and I would have done that if I didn't have to settle for a used trailer.

Norseman
08-06-2005, 04:26 AM
Turn it into a PDF or tiff file.
Or print it out and scan it back into the computer, should be able to scan directly into gif or jpg files.
Bob

Norseman
08-06-2005, 04:30 AM
Morgs lookin to do the 6 inches extra height deal on his trailer so he can do a back pull down bed like Weekend Warrior does. That's a good deal and I would have done that if I didn't have to settle for a used trailer.
Fiat;
How big is your trailer???
I've been thinking of doing something similar, but might use a 30 foot 5th wheel horse hauler as a starting point.
The dually is already set up for it, and I know one that might be available soon at a nice price. I just need to figure out if the size and layout will work.
Bob

Fiat48
08-06-2005, 06:40 AM
Mine is a 26 ft x 8 ft wide. I imagine Daves is 102 wide. Horse trailer might be too narrow but you'd have to measure them to be sure.

Dave Sammons
08-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Mine is a 26 ft x 8 ft wide. I imagine Daves is 102 wide. Horse trailer might be too narrow but you'd have to measure them to be sure.
You're right 26ft X 102inches. The thinking behind our design was that it was really set up for racing, so that the back half was separate as a work area versus the lounge in front. Really Like Morg's layout. I assume you can now buy all that foldaway stuff off the shelf. When we did ours not much of that was available. If the use was strickly pleasure, Morg's got it down.

Morg
08-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Yeah, the only left to figure out is how to convince the wife it is neccassary, while she is holding my 5 week old son & talking about college funds. :rollside: :rollside:
My layout is using a 28' trailer. I have also drawn the same layout using a 26' & 24'. I would like to go as small as possible for the ease of towing, yet will I wan't the room later on. I am leaning towards the 28' rite now. Keep looking for a used one with no luck so far. I can pick up a new one, bare on the inside for pretty much what a used one costs. Hoping to get serious about this in the fall.

Norseman
08-06-2005, 12:39 PM
I think this one is 96 wide it's a 4 horse slant with a tack room / hayloft in the front of it. The wheel wells are inside the trailer. Looks ugly but structurly it's in good shape. Tows
First I need to talk the owner out of it, then talk Joan into it!
Only time it's been moved in 5 years is when I've used it, and they have a new Alumilite that they pull all over, this one is a back up, mid 80's vintage I think. Last year he was willing to take 1000 for it, but I was 2nd in line and the 1st guy kept stringing him along.
We'll see if it happens it happens, besides I have enough projects right now anyway. But it would sure make it easier to do stuff with the cars and other toys.

steve d
08-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Yeah, the only left to figure out is how to convince the wife it is neccassary, while she is holding my 5 week old son & talking about college funds. :rollside: :rollside:
My layout is using a 28' trailer. I have also drawn the same layout using a 26' & 24'. I would like to go as small as possible for the ease of towing, yet will I wan't the room later on. I am leaning towards the 28' rite now. Keep looking for a used one with no luck so far. I can pick up a new one, bare on the inside for pretty much what a used one costs. Hoping to get serious about this in the fall.
My wife did the same thing.... forgot about all the sht in between--never ending..no money left over for the K--Good luck---Steve

Norseman
08-06-2005, 06:55 PM
We've got a TON of miles on this trailer, always loaded to go racing, and never had a single problem in over 10 years. Always thought those toyhauler's might be a little too light duty. Maybe we are on to something! :D :D
Dave;
It doesn't look like you built in a lot of tool and part storage, or am I missing something?? Or do you roll tool boxes in when you use it???
I been in a couple that had tool boxes or storage down both sides behind the fenders.

Dave Sammons
08-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Dave;
It doesn't look like you built in a lot of tool and part storage, or am I missing something?? Or do you roll tool boxes in when you use it???
I been in a couple that had tool boxes or storage down both sides behind the fenders.
You would be surprised how tight it gets down the sides even with a "narrow" boat in there like the canyon. Fuel jugs, 2 ez-ups mounted upright, 20lb co2 bottle which is plumbed into the side, a spare tire, 8 stackable chairs, an 8ft table and a 10 drawer tool box all fit on the floor next to the boat when its in, at different points in the trailer. The cabinets above seemed to hold everything we needed to go racing. We have always pulled with a dually crewcab, so, we had room for the spare motor and a few parts in the bed. Helped with weight distribution as well. Once you get all the essentials in, you have to engineer room for the rest.

Morg
08-06-2005, 07:22 PM
You are right.
I am thinking with the 28' I will have room for the stuff I did not include in the drawings. A couple of upper cabinets in the back would work nicely for the boat stuff.

GofastRacer
08-06-2005, 09:03 PM
I think this one is 96 wide it's a 4 horse slant with a tack room / hayloft in the front of it. The wheel wells are inside the trailer. Looks ugly but structurly it's in good shape. Tows
First I need to talk the owner out of it, then talk Joan into it!
Only time it's been moved in 5 years is when I've used it, and they have a new Alumilite that they pull all over, this one is a back up, mid 80's vintage I think. Last year he was willing to take 1000 for it, but I was 2nd in line and the 1st guy kept stringing him along.
We'll see if it happens it happens, besides I have enough projects right now anyway. But it would sure make it easier to do stuff with the cars and other toys.
Hey Bob,what are you going to about the STINK!???.. :D :D :D :D

Norseman
08-07-2005, 04:19 AM
You would be surprised how tight it gets down the sides even with a "narrow" boat in there like the canyon. Fuel jugs, 2 ez-ups mounted upright, 20lb co2 bottle which is plumbed into the side, a spare tire, 8 stackable chairs, an 8ft table and a 10 drawer tool box all fit on the floor next to the boat when its in, at different points in the trailer. The cabinets above seemed to hold everything we needed to go racing. We have always pulled with a dually crewcab, so, we had room for the spare motor and a few parts in the bed. Helped with weight distribution as well. Once you get all the essentials in, you have to engineer room for the rest.
Dave;
Thanks!!!
It's a nice layout and you did a real nice job putting it together!!

Norseman
08-07-2005, 04:24 AM
Hey Bob,what are you going to about the STINK!???.. :D :D :D :D
Art;
Wasn't a problem last couple of times I used it, but I didn't live in it either..... :eek:
Worked real well as a transporter though!!! :D

GofastRacer
08-07-2005, 04:34 AM
Art;
Wasn't a problem last couple of times I used it, but I didn't live in it either..... :eek:
Worked real well as a transporter though!!! :D
I seen some of those that were pretty rank, LOL.. Aren't they narrower than regular trailers, thought those were only around 7 foot wide????.. :confused:

Fiat48
08-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Dave. Is that a regular home (8") mattress you are using or a thinner one specifically for rv use?
I have put together a rolling bed setup on tracks. The bed will store over the rear of the boat and roll to the front for sleeping. I can move things but currently I have about 7 inches designated for mattress thickness and still clear the ceiling. Why I am asking.
Are you're counters 24 inches wide? I saw some stuff at Home depot that was garage stuff and it was 18 inches wide. Considering using that and taking less floor room.
The shower. Is that a standard home type dealio or did you have to go with rv type? Seems the home units that are prefabed are a little big.
Thanks!

vdriver4ever
08-12-2005, 01:06 PM
In a related / unrelated question. I just ordered a 32 ft enclosed trailer for my Nordskog. My boat trailer takes up 20.5 feet. I am hoping to pick up a small 4 x 4 (Suzuki Samuria?) that will fit with the boat in the trailer. I have a KW toterhome that I use for our Late Model race car team. If I was to travel to CA or AZ for a week I would like the small 4 x 4 to run to town with.
What kinds of things should I be thinking about? I have a receiver hitch post holder being flush mounting in the floor for either a winch or trailer ball incase I wasn't using the 4 x 4. The race truck has all the living quarters so I don't need any of that in the trailer. I do need additional storage space though. I really wish I had enough space to get a Jeep but it is too tight. I thought about getting a Jeep with a lift kit and running the boat further into the trailer and under the Jeep?
Has anyone seen some one use a trailer like this?
Pat

Norseman
08-12-2005, 02:59 PM
In a related / unrelated question. I just ordered a 32 ft enclosed trailer for my Nordskog. My boat trailer takes up 20.5 feet. I am hoping to pick up a small 4 x 4 (Suzuki Samuria?) that will fit with the boat in the trailer. I have a KW toterhome that I use for our Late Model race car team. If I was to travel to CA or AZ for a week I would like the small 4 x 4 to run to town with.
What kinds of things should I be thinking about? I have a receiver hitch post holder being flush mounting in the floor for either a winch or trailer ball incase I wasn't using the 4 x 4. The race truck has all the living quarters so I don't need any of that in the trailer. I do need additional storage space though. I really wish I had enough space to get a Jeep but it is too tight. I thought about getting a Jeep with a lift kit and running the boat further into the trailer and under the Jeep?
Has anyone seen some one use a trailer like this?
Pat
I've seen a couple set up for SCCA sports cars that have lifts in them. 1st car goes in and get raised up, 2nd one goes underneath it. Trailers are a little higher than stock, raised roof all the way to the back. The one guy did mention they have put a small 4 x 4 in it , but it was a Suzuki with a fold down windsheild.
One guy hauled porsches and the other had 2 BMW 2002's
I didn't get any pictures, but I've seen them at Lime Rock a couple of times.
I don't remeber if the cars were stacked over each other or staggered, I never saw the trailers loaded.
Bob

vdriver4ever
08-13-2005, 05:07 AM
Thanks Nordman...
I have two good friends with stacker trailers for their race cars. I kind of thought it would be a pain in the butt to stack the boat and pull car, however I then realized with a 90 inch wide boat there is no way to get the lift in and the boat.
I always have the option of using like a Yamaha Rhino. I think it would work fine but not be too good to run to town with.
Pat

Dave Sammons
08-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Dave. Is that a regular home (8") mattress you are using or a thinner one specifically for rv use?
I have put together a rolling bed setup on tracks. The bed will store over the rear of the boat and roll to the front for sleeping. I can move things but currently I have about 7 inches designated for mattress thickness and still clear the ceiling. Why I am asking.
Are you're counters 24 inches wide? I saw some stuff at Home depot that was garage stuff and it was 18 inches wide. Considering using that and taking less floor room.
The shower. Is that a standard home type dealio or did you have to go with rv type? Seems the home units that are prefabed are a little big.
Thanks!
Sorry I am late getting back to you on your questions...This has been the view from my chair for the last week :D :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517hssm.JPG
It is a a homestyle mattress
I'll have to check on the counter width, because we built everything from scratch, I wasn't concerned about the width...just what ever looked right and matched off with the shower enclosure.
I bought the Pan for the shower from an RV dealer, it was one that was made for one of the ToyBox deals. Also came with an indentation for a toilet. Built the walls to match the size. Also, I overbuilt all the walls and counter supports. Used 2x4's and 2x3's, most of the Toybox's are rigged way too light for my liking.